Quiet PC for a dad who can't take the noise

So I'm @ my father's place for most of the summer, and I've noticed that his laptop is really showing its age. It's noisy, it's slow, keys are missing from the keyboard, etc. I'm tempted (though I'm going to talk with my brothers before doing anything I think) build a PC, partly as a gaming setup I can use here and partially to give my dad a silent PC.

My first concern is keeping the noise down. My father is quite sensitive to sound to begin with and it triggers his epilepsy, and I want to raise his comfort using the PC. I'm considering reusing my Fortress 03 Titan that is sound-dampened, but otherwise everything will be new I think.

So, roughly speaking, I'm thinking specs ala:

Case: Fortress 03 Titan (sound-dampened)
    CPU: i5 4670k w/ ...Should I keep the H80? Or any suggestions?
    Mobo: Z87 mATX. Probably the Asus Gryphon or Gene. Might also consider the Gigabyte Sniper...
    RAM: He doesn't need much, but I'm willing to pop in 8-16GB since I don't see why not.
    GPU: No idea what to get. Any suggestions? Performance only has to be enough for generic gaming, it's more important to keep noise down.
    SSD: Dad doesn't use much drivespace, and I think ca 250GB is enough for him. His laptop has this size, although it's your ol' HDD. He still hasn't passed much more than 60GB used. There is no need for a mechanical drive, and I would probably prefer to not have one for more than a hotswap at best.
    PSU: I'd rather have something either fanless or something that doesn't kick in until a high load. Modular PSU highly preferred... AX 860 sounds like the first pick of mine.

Does anyone have anything more specific? I'm a bit more used to watercooling, and haven't bothered looking into graphics card coolers and all that for a while now as a result.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    SSD will only drop noise levels. If you can stick one or two in, that will be beneficial.
    GPU... go for perhaps a HD 7790 or GTX 650 Ti Boost. Something with enough horsepower, but doesn't put out any heat.
    PSU: SeaSonic X660, the one I have, is super quiet. The fan rarely spins up. Excellent build.
    Frankly, you probably don't even need a fully unlocked i5, maybe just go i3?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Seasonic Platinum P-520FL 520W
    Gigabyte Radeon HD7870 OC HDMI Dual-DisplayPort 2GB
    Samsung 840 Series 250GB

The H80 should be fine or you could go with one of the larger air coolers if you can fit them.
    Perhaps a small 500GB or so external USB drive could be of use?
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Wherever I go, I can't seem to dodge PSU buzz it seems; searching through things, I'm finding they're reporting buzz in most brands I had in mind lol. I'm probably going to use the Fortress 03 if it's going to become a real PC, so passive powersupples are probably no longer an option (due to the solid PSU cover on top and side).

With that said, for the GPU... well, I did think of the Windforce, but until they more consistently stop using a sinfully ugly PCB color I just can't stand to buy one lol... Ideally I want my dad to use the iGPU on the processor, while offering me the choice to get some more serious gaming on with a discreet graphics card.

For the processor I was considering the i5 4670k because no lesser Haswell model is really available in the webshops to my knowledge lol. And I'd also possibly be able to overclock it some without increasing the noise and such perhaps.

Still, thanks for responses. I'll keep an eye on here.