Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Yes? You just repeated what I said.

Different tastes are different, there is no need to look down on someone because he freaking hates the taste of hard alc. That's the very definition of being childish.

I just gave reason as to why I don't like it.
    If we're agreeing, why are you getting annoyed? You seem quite defensive, so i'll stop my end of this conversation with you.

@Fahrenheit - Thumbs up to you. Around these parts if you ask for whisky in a resto-pub you get JD or if you're really lucky, you can choose a 12yr old (possibly watered down) whisky for 3x the price sadly.

Deleted
    One time I tried Black Absinthe...I think it was like 80%?
    My friend burned his throat because we were drinking 80% vodka straight from the bottle.. Part of "being tough guy" in my teens lol

Back to topic.
    Whiskey is made to taste good so mixing good whiskey is dump. Cheap crap should be mixed with coke or whatever you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Tauton View Post
    If we're agreeing, why are you getting annoyed? You seem quite defensive, so i'll stop my end of this conversation with you.

@Fahrenheit - Thumbs up to you. Around these parts if you ask for whisky in a resto-pub you get JD or if you're really lucky, you can choose a 12yr old (possibly watered down) whisky for 3x the price sadly.
    Dunno, wasn't supposed to get across as annoyed towards you. Maybe lack of some strategic smileys. ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauton View Post
    @Fahrenheit - Thumbs up to you. Around these parts if you ask for whisky in a resto-pub you get JD or if you're really lucky, you can choose a 12yr old (possibly watered down) whisky for 3x the price sadly
    That's horrible. Where abouts are your speaking of? I generally don't order scotch when I'm out at a restaurant for the reasons you mentioned, I always suspect that they water down the top shelf to make it last just a little longer. Besides scotch, to me at least, is to be enojyed at home in a comfortable chair with your feet up.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    As with any single malt/highland/islay, a little bit of fresh cold water will help enhance it, never ice. But other than water don't add anything to a single malt, it's not bourbon, rye or "whiskey" that you just throw come cola into it.
    I wanted to respond to this one specifically:
    Not évery whisky is better when opened (adding a drop of clear water). I've got a young Càrn Mór single cask Ledaig here; only seven years matured.. It's an oily whisky, however, and adding even a drop of water will ruin its consistency. This particular whisky just doesn't like water.

But yeah; usually opening a whisky with just a little drop of (tap)water (if you get yours without added stuff like chlorine, of course) is all it really needs.

Different tastes are different, there is no need to look down on someone because he freaking hates the taste of hard alc. That's the very definition of being childish.
    On the one hand, this is absolutely true. On the other hand: Please understand that what you're suggesting is akin to motif-painting my little ponies on a hand-crafted still life piece of artwork. It's perfectly okay if you don't like the still life. It's perfectly okay that you don't want to look at it. And it's perfectly fine to prefer my little ponies as an art-form over the still life.

My question to those who mix whisky and cola, however, is: Why ruin two perfectly good products in order to gain one product that is less than either?
    Last edited by Stir; 2013-06-07 at 06:48 PM.

Deleted
    I like to sip aged rums raw or mixed with cola, with a couple spoons of coffee grains in it. Great taste.

Hääää?! Comon man, appreciate a drink? I can do that, but rum for example is worse than a punch to the throat.

Dafuq is there to appreciate?

We are not talking about a good Belgian beer or a French wine...

Either you like that, or you don't. It has zero to do with having balls or being a man.
    French Wine is pretty much terrible in the last decade.

Spanish, Chilean, Australian and Canadian wines are where it's at.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post

My question to those who mix whisky and cola, however, is: Why ruin two perfectly good products in order to gain one product that is less than either?
    Because it gets me drunk really cheap without hurting my throat. Jacky + Cola = 12€ for one entire evening.

Because it gets me drunk really cheap without hurting my throat. Jacky + Cola = 12€ for one entire evening.
    Well; as a lover of good whiskies, I would reply with: Why on earth would you do that to a perfectly fine coke?
    But in somewhat more seriousness: Why would you spend money to get mild alcohol-poisoning? I'll admit that I spend money on whisky. Sometimes, with the single-casks, I'll spend LOTS of money on whiskies. But I don't do it for the buzz.
    I'm not judging.. I'm merely very confused.

Well; as a lover of good whiskies, I would reply with: Why on earth would you do that to a perfectly fine coke?
    But in somewhat more seriousness: Why would you spend money to get mild alcohol-poisoning? I'll admit that I spend money on whisky. Sometimes, with the single-casks, I'll spend LOTS of money on whiskies. But I don't do it for the buzz.
    I'm not judging.. I'm merely very confused.
    I drink like once every hallelujah times per year.

It's just a necessity to survive boring things I have to attend, like clubbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Not at all imo. Oaked alcohol is horrible.
    Oh how dare you!
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

I drink like once every hallelujah times per year.

It's just a necessity to survive boring things I have to attend, like clubbing.
    Further confuzzleness: Why go clubbing if you do not wish to attend?

Further confuzzleness: Why go clubbing if you do not wish to attend?
    Bro, my right hand gets tired every once in a while..... and I am really bad with my left

Bro, my right hand gets tired every once in a while..... and I am really bad with my left
    So many ways to get laid without going clubbing...
    Of course I'll agree that clubs are where the suckers are, so if you're going for one nighters, then clubs are the way to go, I suppose.

So many ways to get laid without going clubbing...
    Of course I'll agree that clubs are where the suckers are, so if you're going for one nighters, then clubs are the way to go, I suppose.
    Let's not turn this into a relationship thread, lol.

Interesting... we have the exact same post count ;P
    Last edited by StayTuned; 2013-06-07 at 07:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Edinburgh, Scotland. You know, that place with the castle.
    Personally, when I'm having a nice single malt I take it with a little water. To me it reduces much of the burn and allows you focus on the flavour, which, after all is what it's all about.

As for the rum...I usually mix it with some cola, with ice and lime, unless, as others have said, it's a very good rum. If it's a Ron Zacapa for example, I wouldn't dare use a mixer with it - it's far too good for that. In that case, I take it on the rocks.

Malt Whisky:

Warm, non-carbonated mineral water to remove the burn in the throat. Nothing else. If possible, try to get hold of Scottish spring water. Definitely no ice.

Rum: if it costs more than 20 dollars a bottle, don't mix it with coke.

10+ Year Old Account
    I started enjoying my singlemalts about 2 years ago. I actually have a bottle of 10 year old Talisker right next to me as I type this. You have to get used to it, learn to love it. Drink it slow, taste ever sip and try to enjoy, you can add a few drops of water into the glass if you like. It's all up to you. There's no right or wrong way to drink various stuff, you drink it because you like it. Experiment a bit and try out different things. However to really get all the flavours out of a nice singlemalt you really should drink it neat.

As for dark rum. Been working as a bartender for the last 6 months and there are quite a few drinks you can cook up. The first two that come to mind are Dark & Stormy and Fidel Castro. Dark & Stormy is basically dark rum and ginger beer with some fresh lime juice. Fidel Castro is the same but with Ginger Ale instead. The taste is quite different even though it's almost the same drink.

Another nice way to serve dark rum is by just taking a regular cup, add some rum and some hot water. Pop in some honey and maybe some lemon of you want some acidity. Really nice if you're fighting a cold or during the winter part of the year. Personally I pop a dash of angostura bitters into that bad boy for the extra "oomph".
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Gaga View Post
    Mages are balanced. It's just that they aren't balanced for Azeroth.

Ice and coke. Either is optional.

I prefer to drink it just straight up though.

Let's not turn this into a relationship thread, lol.

Interesting... we have the exact same post count ;P
    Ah, but you're in the lead!

Anyway, back to the topic: Whiskies and rum.

Not too great a fan of rum, to be honest... I like Cpt. Morgan's spiced gold, so that should tell you everything...

I don't particularly understand the Talisker love, to be honest... It's nearly all chill-filtered (apart from their blends), they add caramel for colouring, and the only ingredient they actually use for their whisky that's from Skye is the water. And they don't even use Skye water for the whole process. Malting the barley happens in... The Speyside, I believe, with Speyside water. The peat is from the Highlands (somewhere). Only a small part of their whisky is actually matured on Skye.

If you enjoy peated whiskies, why not try your hand at some nice, normally filtered, non-caramel-coloured Laphroaig quarter cask? Or maybe a Lagavullin? If you like a smoother peaty whisky, you could go for a Jura... If you like more robustness, there's always Ardbeg.