Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    If you enjoy peated whiskies, why not try your hand at some nice, normally filtered, non-caramel-coloured Laphroaig quarter cask? Or maybe a Lagavullin? If you like a smoother peaty whisky, you could go for a Jura... If you like more robustness, there's always Ardbeg.
    Older Laphroaig is better than sex.

Just my opinion.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

You don't mix good stuff with cola or similar junk. If you want whisky cola mix get some cheap stuff like Johny Walker Red.
    For quality whisky it's either neat or on the rocks, matter of personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by haloa View Post
    You don't mix good stuff with cola or similar junk. If you want whisky cola mix get some cheap stuff like Johny Walker Red.
    For quality whisky it's either neat or on the rocks, matter of personal preference.
    The flavours in Whisky only come alive when they are warm. The flavours change completely (they become more fruity and rounded) if the Whisky is at room temperature instead of being at refrigerator temperature.

Take a Whisky tumbler, and warm it up before pouring out your measure. The effect it has on the flavours is profound. I prefer to put water in Whisky, because it stops it burning so much so you can really enjoy the flavours.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    The flavours in Whisky only come alive when they are warm. The flavours change completely (they become more fruity and rounded) if the Whisky is at room temperature instead of being at refrigerator temperature.

Take a Whisky tumbler, and warm it up before pouring out your measure. The effect it has on the flavours is profound. I prefer to put water in Whisky, because it stops it burning so much so you can really enjoy the flavours.
    This is 100% correct.

What I was saying earlier, I was answering in response to the OP saying his Talisker was harsh. Chill dulls pretty much every flavor. Pouring it over one cube of ice and letting it stand for a few minutes will make it smoother.

I prefer good whisky straight up, room temp, but for someone learning to develop the taste for it... hey, why not an ice cube and let it breathe.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Haven't read the 4 pages leading up to this so someone may have suggested this already. You should try them straight up first, just a sip or two. If you like the flavor, or can at least tolerate it, then continue sipping straight up or with an ice cube or a bit of water. If you don't like the taste then try adding different mixers to it. Coke, soda water, sprite, ginger ale, tonic, OJ, whatever (I wouldn't necessarily mix all of these with rum or whiskey, though). It's just trial an error. I really like drinking whiskey straight up, but also mixing it with coke. It just depends on the mood. I'm not a huge rum drinker, but when I think rum I think of tropical style drinks. Or rum and coke.

me, I love mixing my Kraken rum with either coke or lemonade. whiskey as far as I'm aware at least the top shelf is to be taken straight or slightly diluted. they have actual rocks that do the job water does without the fear of diluting it to much.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    This is 100% correct.

What I was saying earlier, I was answering in response to the OP saying his Talisker was harsh. Chill dulls pretty much every flavor. Pouring it over one cube of ice and letting it stand for a few minutes will make it smoother.

I prefer good whisky straight up, room temp, but for someone learning to develop the taste for it... hey, why not an ice cube and let it breathe.
    A more accessible test (and one you can do any time of the day): Take good old, simple coca-cola. Put a bottle in the fridge overnight, leave another bottle on the kitchen work-top. The next day, try both of them. Unless your senses of smell and taste have been eradicated due to chain-smoking 3 packs a day for the last 30 years, you should be able to notice a massive difference in the taste of what is exactly the same drink, just at a different temperature (you can actually taste the cough-syrup herbs like thyme and sage in the warm coke - which you would expect, as coke is just cough syrup diluted in carbonated water).

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    I don't particularly understand the Talisker love, to be honest... It's nearly all chill-filtered (apart from their blends), they add caramel for colouring, and the only ingredient they actually use for their whisky that's from Skye is the water. And they don't even use Skye water for the whole process. Malting the barley happens in... The Speyside, I believe, with Speyside water. The peat is from the Highlands (somewhere). Only a small part of their whisky is actually matured on Skye.

If you enjoy peated whiskies, why not try your hand at some nice, normally filtered, non-caramel-coloured Laphroaig quarter cask? Or maybe a Lagavullin? If you like a smoother peaty whisky, you could go for a Jura... If you like more robustness, there's always Ardbeg.
    Talisker has a taste all its own and that's what ultimately matters. I can't really say a mesh/barrier filtered whisky superior to a chill-filtered one. It's just not my style either way.

While Laphroaig Quarter Cask (one of my favorite bottlings) is non-chill filtered, nowhere on the bottle does it say no additional coloring was added. The Balvenie, one of my favorite distilleries chill filters and adds color to nearly all of its whiskies. Lagavvulin 16yr is delicious, and also chill-filtered with color added.

Quality of wood, yeast strain and and grain are far more important.
    Last edited by kidsafe; 2013-06-23 at 11:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malkazam View Post
    Kraken and cola.. OMG !

And i'm proud of you ! You drink rum ! Your'e a real pirate ! Yarrrr !

MMM The Kraken, a good rum, Suitable on the rocks.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

goslings dark rum, ginger beer, lots of lime = dark and stormy= very tasty

Deleted
    Why would you mix it and ruin it? Straight into a glass and you're good to go.

I think this way is best way to serve malt whisky.Shake the first three ingredients and strain over fresh ice in a Collins glass. Top with crisp soda and stir. Garnish with a large lemon slice and a fresh sprig of mint.You can try with Eristoff vodka.

Quote Originally Posted by stevcatter View Post
    I think this way is best way to serve malt whisky.Shake the first three ingredients and strain over fresh ice in a Collins glass. Top with crisp soda and stir. Garnish with a large lemon slice and a fresh sprig of mint.You can try with Eristoff vodka.
    So basically add a load of stuff, and chill it to the point of not being able to taste anything that the Whisky might have brought to the drink? Why bother drinking Scotch at that point?