Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

You call that bad? He is a newbie!

When I was running my RaF friend through utgade keep, the healer keeps calling my mage friend "bad".

Oh come con, he just started to play, I ran him through scarlet hall, strathholme, Zul'farak, Hellfire rampants and the Shethekk halls. I ran him through those dungeons so he only need to follow and watch the golden light. He reached 70 in less than 2 days and he is completely a newbie. He knows only to follow and cast some fireballs at RANDOM enemies!!!

At least he is trying to cast pyroblast now at a level of 71, that is a great step imo, what the hell is wrong with players nowadays? why can't they just share some empathy/

such a cruel world, I once believed WOW is much better than this.

10+ Year Old Account
    not all people are dicks, some are, some people just want a blazing fast run and if you are not in all boa's then you should not be there and/or noob. just kick those people or put them on ignore to not queue with them again. GL to your mage hope he stays and enjoys the game

10+ Year Old Account
    People are in a hurry nowadays to level and finish dungeons (I am aswell) and most won't even know someone is a newbie or not. They might just presume the player is just really bad and isn't trying (because they see him follow you).

Perhaps try to help your friend? I mean, if he doesn't learn from you, who's he going to learn from than? And how will he be able to survive lvl 85-90?

You could also inform the people you meet in dungeons that your friend is new to the game and ask them to go easy on him.

Also technically the healer was right that your friend is currently a bad player, which brings me back that you should help your friend.

It's not WoW. It's people. Many homo sapiens are douchebags and have been for 250,000 years. Add the internets and anonymity and there ya go, douchebaggary to the extreme.

It isn't your friend's fault you can get to level 71 in the game casting random fireballs at things and having no real idea how to play. This is part of the reason WoW has gone downhill. You can do a lot in the game while barely knowing how to play. The experience getting to max level and half the stuff you can do there is extremely hollow both in terms of the experience and reward.

Or new players should learn their class and spec while leveling so they aren't complete noobs at max level? Following a friend doesn't help much. It would be more helpful if you teach your friend so he could learn a thing or two before reaching 90.

The healer sounds like a jerk. But you might consider making a macro that informs a group that one of you is new to the game and would appreciate some patience on the part of the other three group members. It shouldn't really matter to them in pre-90 groups anyway, and it's not something you or your friend should feel the need to hide.

Or not, and simply accept that some people honestly believe it's more fun when they can tear into complete strangers over the internet.

Stood in the Fire ArMeD_SuRvIvOr's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe you shouldn't have ran him through dungeons... First, it gives him a bad impression on the game for obvious reasons and second, it does not give him time to learn the game mechanics and class abilities. While I don't agree with the random pug calling him "bad", he was right in that sense.

You should have let him go at his own pace to learn the game from the ground up, IMO.
    Really sucks if they start to limit their vision for an expansion just to get the next one out faster.
    BLOOD DPS. Never forget. Still campaigning to get you back, babe.

Your friend isn't going to want to keep playing the game if you make him skip all of it. You might only care about end-game progression, but there's a ton of wow that he's never seen before.

10+ Year Old Account
    why didn't you teach your friend as you were leveling up?
    could of done the whole...look at what spells mages get / when...
    also tell him to attack what the tank is attacking (focus target)

this is entirely your fault. or if you have been trying to teach your friend and he just doesn't care...it is entirely his fault.

either way...someone is to blame, you are there to train him...hold his hand, teach him everything in a short amount of time...
    thats why RaF isn't baseline for new accounts, people who don't have someone to help them learn at an accelerated rate shouldn't level that fast.

healer was not out of line unless you told him beforehand that your friend was literally a new-bie, and if you had told healer that, and he went off like that instead of offering advice...then he was out of line.
    Last edited by Christan; 2013-06-07 at 06:23 PM.
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

We were all new once. Fortunately there is a /ignore option for people like the one you encountered. I will never call someone bad. I occasionally offer advice or ask if they are doing X to mitigate Y, but insulting them outright is non-constructive. If the player in question disregards my advice or rages at me because they "know" what that they're doing I will sometimes drop group or initiate a vote kick. Unfortunately my attitude is no so common. To be honest, though, I never understood why people in low-level dungeons even bothered stats. The game is not at all balanced below level 90. Performance below that level wildly fluctuates with "balance" changes aimed at the top levels without regard for the lower levels. There is no way to accurately gauge a player's skill at level 70. This story reminds me of the time I rolled a shadow priest on a different server. At level 15 I was running as close to a level 80 rotation as I could and I got called a noob by another shadow priest in the pug for not smiting. That person found their way onto my ignore list quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by dd614 View Post
    It isn't your friend's fault you can get to level 71 in the game casting random fireballs at things and having no real idea how to play. This is part of the reason WoW has gone downhill. You can do a lot in the game while barely knowing how to play. The experience getting to max level and half the stuff you can do there is extremely hollow both in terms of the experience and reward.
    Actually it's his fault his friend is bad. He's been Plvling him through dungeons telling him to just follow and watch. Had his friend just started up normally and leveld on his own, sure it would have taken allot longer but when he reaches 90 he'd have a much better understanding of his class.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is this a sarcastic post?

I mean, yeah, there's no reason for people to be assholes in dungeons. But... I mean, come on you're on MMO-Champion right now. Surely you could point your friend to mage guides in the very forums on which you're posting? Unless you specifically want him to not know how to play by offering him zero aid?
    Pokemon FC: 5112-3501-2407 Trainer: Oli FS: Viscoe - Farfetch'd/Hoothoot/Rufflet - Currently Full, DO NOT ADD
    Secondary 3DS: 3668-8923-2263 FS: Slider - Phanpy/Camerupt/Diggersby

Quote Originally Posted by Christan View Post
    why didn't you teach your friend as you were leveling up?
    could of done the whole...look at what spells mages get / when...
    also tell him to attack what the tank is attacking (focus target)

this is entirely your fault. or if you have been trying to teach your friend and he just doesn't care...it is entirely his fault.

either way...someone is to blame, you are there to train him...hold his hand, teach him everything in a short amount of time...
    thats why RaF isn't baseline for new accounts, people who don't have someone to help them learn at an accelerated rate shouldn't level that fast.
    It doesn't matter. You can run a perfect end-game rotation at level 70 and experience sub-par performance because the skills are not balanced for level 70. It's not reasonable to expect a level 70 player mage to do as well as a level 70 tank. Heck, at one point the balance was such that level 80 paladins could solo level 90 raid bosses! Literally... I'm not exaggerating: http://wow.joystiq.com/2013/01/09/le...s-gets-vengea/

You're awfully quick to jump on this guy for someone else's bad behavior.
    Last edited by Ronduwil; 2013-06-07 at 06:33 PM.

Some people need to understand that if it's their first time playing, they should seriously cut them some slack

10+ Year Old Account
    I would not say doing a RAF is the best option for his first characer if you are gonna rush him through dungeons powerleveling as a leveling method without helping him understand how the game works, which is what happened here if all he knows is to follow you and use fireball. If that's all he knows he missed out on a lot of stuff on his way to 70.

Deleted
    This is the problem about RAF tbh , People level to fast , cant get money for spells and armor and dont know how to play because they move to fast.
    Ive only used RAF for people who have already played wow and want to play again on a new acc ( dont ask me why ))

10+ Year Old Account
    Too many in the community aren't tolerant of new players and it's a huge problem for Blizzard generally in their efforts to bring people into the game. It doesn't take a high percentage of toxic players to ruin it for new players who don't have much history with the game and decide to say "Fuck it. I don't need to pay for this."

I'm not certain that I believe that Blizzard thinks the problem is as serious as it actually is.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Dungeons are a great way for experienced players to level, terrible for newbies who haven't figured out how to press their buttons yet. When I was learning how to function in SWToR and then WoW, I insisted on playing on my own so that I had to use my entire toolkit to survive. Was it challenging? Then, as a Moonkin with no BoA gear, yes, it was really tedious. But I had to learn when to use Hibernate, Entangling Roots, Cyclone, Barkskin, Might of Ursoc, Dash, etc. to survive all the mobs in the world, and that made me a better player at endgame.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighthawk45 View Post
    This is the problem about RAF tbh , People level to fast , cant get money for spells and armor and dont know how to play because they move to fast.
    Ive only used RAF for people who have already played wow and want to play again on a new acc ( dont ask me why ))
    No... The problem is people running through level 70 dungeons on their 8th alt fully decked out in heirlooms expecting new players in quest greens to do damage comparable to theirs while coping with unfamiliar mechanics. If things are going relatively smoothly why do you even need to point out deficiencies? Save the criticism for the end game when it's actually relevant.