Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Prot, When to holy prism

Hi folks, just curious what the other Prots here thought of Holy Prism? Guides seem to love it but I haven't had much practical love with it. I've been mainly using lights hammer when there's a bunch of adds or during aoe damage time as a mini tranquility. And sometimes use Execution Sentence when I want to do Damage, but I haven't really found time and place for Holy Prism and was curious what you though / who you used it for.

Quote Originally Posted by yamilonewolf View Post
    Hi folks, just curious what the other Prots here thought of Holy Prism? Guides seem to love it but I haven't had much practical love with it. I've been mainly using lights hammer when there's a bunch of adds or during aoe damage time as a mini tranquility. And sometimes use Execution Sentence when I want to do Damage, but I haven't really found time and place for Holy Prism and was curious what you though / who you used it for.
    I personally use it for most (if not all) progression fights. It offers nice (probably better) dmg than the hammer. And actually can heal the group / yourself quickly.

I suppose it's niche would be a versatile heal/damage ability. It can be single target or aoe on a fairly short CD so it just depends on what you need right at that second.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    It's a nice little heal/damage ability on a very short cooldown you can throw out whenever you want a bit more damage or healing (as the case demands). With high vengeance, it hits and heals quite a lot compared to the Hammer unless everyone is stacked (or you want a second consecrate for some reason).
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

i use for every fight except for Tortos(helping slowing the turtles), Meg(healing during rampages). other fights are too mobile for LH

Quote Originally Posted by zloitima View Post
    i use for every fight except for Tortos(helping slowing the turtles), Meg(healing during rampages). other fights are too mobile for LH
    Basically this. HPrism GCD also scales with haste, unlike the other 2 (which feels like an eterrrrnity on GCD).

Quote Originally Posted by Choice View Post
    It's a brilliant talent, but it's practicality varies. To give you an idea of what I run personally, my 'defacto' is ES for the damage component and occasionally as a minor CD if shit is going mad.

For whenever raid healing is a necessity though, I run it to follow up or lead in to spike damage.

Examples are Dark Animus' Interrupting Jolt, you HP before every cast and add a lot of security to the healing. Lei Shen p3 is similar, use it either before or after TS depending on the raid's health.

From a damage perspective HP has the ability to be useful, casting it off yourself for the 5 target AoE. That said though I'm yet to see a fight with such consistency and emphasis on adds that it'd be superior to boss DPS. That of course, is subjective to your own raids needs.

Only fight I use LH on is Ra-den because with the levels of vengeance you play at it's a huge raid CD on a minute CD. Seems more useful to just say '300k veng hammer is down' as part of the CD order than to splash out the smart heal in one chunk every 20 seconds.
    I saw you ran ES on your LS kill and thought it was a msitake (lol). I still swear by prism there, because of it's "oshit" burst nature for things like cleaning up after ball lightning jumps or TS's. As we continue to outgear it though, I'll likely swap to ES for the DPS.

I also use LH on RaDen (again, stolen from your vid) due to the stupid high veng levels making it a 1min Tranq. Sadly, I benched myself so that our monk could tank it (because LOLMONK, WUT IS FATAL STRIKE?!) so I wasn't in on our Realm First kill, but I'll make an appearance later and will likely stick with LH over HPr.

And I agree, I don't think I've ever casted HPr as the AOE on any consistent level in PVE. It's just so much more useful as a splash-heal 9 times out of 10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Choice View Post
    Only fight I use LH on is Ra-den because with the levels of vengeance you play at it's a huge raid CD on a minute CD. Seems more useful to just say '300k veng hammer is down' as part of the CD order than to splash out the smart heal in one chunk every 20 seconds.
    Oh wow, I really want to tank him now.. Not that it'll ever happen, but I can dream!

Anyways, OT: I prefer to use hammer over Prism because;
    1: You look like Thor.
    2: It does insane healing for the time it's down (at high veng)
    3: I just find it more fun to throw a giant hammer at things.

Deleted
    Depends on the fight and the strategy used.
    Lights Hammer is great for fights like Iron Qon, Ra-Den and Megaera whereby you know there are situations the entire raid will be stacked and can provide decent healing. It could also be good on an add fight where you know you'll keep all the adds in it for 10 seconds as it'll out damage Holy Prism.
    Holy Prism is great for snap AoE Threat, and very useful to have a macro to either cast on yourself for the higher heals on yourself or a boss for the additional damage and some useful raid healing.

It is very much one of those talent tiers you could change multiple times on a raid night.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishau View Post
    Depends on the fight and the strategy used.
    Lights Hammer is great for fights like Iron Qon, Ra-Den and Megaera whereby you know there are situations the entire raid will be stacked and can provide decent healing. It could also be good on an add fight where you know you'll keep all the adds in it for 10 seconds as it'll out damage Holy Prism.
    Holy Prism is great for snap AoE Threat, and very useful to have a macro to either cast on yourself for the higher heals on yourself or a boss for the additional damage and some useful raid healing.

It is very much one of those talent tiers you could change multiple times on a raid night.
    This so much.

On pretty much all of the fights, I haven't found the gcd's to try to fit in Holy Prism. Sometimes I even have trouble using LH or ES. The downfalls of have 17k+ haste. Even under Bloodlust it's CS>X>CS>X for me.

I might be in minority but i use Execution Sentance for most fights, apart from lights hammer on stacking aoe / healing.

It hits like a truck if you time it correctly (and i have synapsis springs).

Quote Originally Posted by Tomhvk View Post
    I might be in minority but i use Execution Sentance for most fights, apart from lights hammer on stacking aoe / healing.

It hits like a truck if you time it correctly (and i have synapsis springs).
    It's got its place in terms of ranking or pure DPS contribution, but it's lackluster for raid utility by a large margin over the other 2 options.

LH is a non-negligible raid heal, aoe-dmg AND snare, on a 1min CD.
    HPr is a short CD, long range nuke/splash heal.
    ES is just damage (or a slow heal).

Not to say ES is bad, but it's really more suited for pushing ranks than helping the group.
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    20k and counting...

uhmmmmmm never, use the hammer

Deleted
    Had an interesting thought earlier about these talents.
    Was playing around earlier with the thought that holy prism could possibly grant the highest dps increase if you go for full damage of all talents at higher haste levels, but havent done the math yet so, needs confirmation, gonna put that on my to do list.

Quote Originally Posted by bahirri View Post
    uhmmmmmm never, use the hammer
    Bad advice is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    Had an interesting thought earlier about these talents.
    Was playing around earlier with the thought that holy prism could possibly grant the highest dps increase if you go for full damage of all talents at higher haste levels, but havent done the math yet so, needs confirmation, gonna put that on my to do list.
    You're thinking in terms of.....? GCD? DPET? More casts per min?

Not saying you're wrong, just interested in how you came to this. Seems that ES should beat out HPr, simply due to the "hybrid tax" on HPr (of the heal), logically thinking. Not that it WOULD, just that it SHOULD.
    20k and counting...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
    Not saying you're wrong, just interested in how you came to this. Seems that ES should beat out HPr, simply due to the "hybrid tax" on HPr (of the heal), logically thinking. Not that it WOULD, just that it SHOULD.
    I am rather sure ES still wins out. It was more of a napkin math possiblity. Talking pure dps.

Dont know if I read the post I made in some other thread about optimal dps rotation, that the highest dps rotation is a mix of standard cs-x-x-cs-x-x for when you dont have fillers and prioritising fillers over CS whenever possible (depending on GC procs etc) to maximize filler usage. The basic idea is that with Hprism you got more fillers, which allows you do slot in even more fillers instead of CS. So while HPrism in itself do not do more damage than ES, it is possible that the increased damage from using more fillers > CS outweighs the increase ES have over HPrism. Especially at higher haste levels considering the 1.5s GCD on ES.

Still, a remote possibility, needs further testing

10+ Year Old Account
    Any fight where you can't stack up for hammer. I use prism on every fight because on the fights where we ARE stacked enough for hammer our healers have no problems (rsham and hpal with disc as 3rd on 3heal fights). Much prefer the burst aoe heal to cover spike raid dmg on every fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Jin'rokh hc, amazing burst of heals in the lightning phase

horridon HC, just after a dire call. Watch those vengeance induced amazing heals

Tortos use lights hammer

Meg - Lights hammer

Ji'kun. Use it when a caw hits someone and also partway into quills

Durumu, whenever you see ppls health drop or on CD

Iron Qon / DA - meh (tho Qon in first phase could be decent)

Twin consorts HC just after sunbitch does her ability for some snapheals

Lei Shen - just after thunderstruck

Basically holy prism comes down to timing it right to hit just after spike damage to the raid. With vengeance it does great healing. Lights hammer is good for some fights (meg, tortos), ES is shit unless its a farm fight and you want to try to do more dps.

I used to be a LH only fan but holy prism is fucking awesome.

In heroic 10man ToT, i use hammer up to Jikun, and after that i use prism on every fight. (Durumu-cool in spectrum phases, also can help in the wall dmg if needed, Primordius- too much moving for hammer, Animus- after jolts, Qon- you got prism for every fist, hammer is up for every 3rd, both are fine, im just lazy to respec it there , Consorts- after the barrage, and on cd when Suen is up, Lei Shen-after thunderstrucks, can help dmg in adds, helps a lot in p3.)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    Basically holy prism comes down to timing it right to hit just after spike damage to the raid. With vengeance it does great healing. Lights hammer is good for some fights (meg, tortos), ES is shit unless its a farm fight and you want to try to do more dps.

I used to be a LH only fan but holy prism is fucking awesome.
    Totally agree - i only ever used LH up to about ....3 weeks ago maybe. Really enjoying HPrism for most encounters now.