Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I say OC is mandatory if budget allows, because a 3570K is effectively the best CPU out there. HOWEVER, if you wanted MORE power... throwing money at a system can't do anything. The ONLY option (and the 'only' part is where 'mandatory' comes in), is to overclock. If you want to get the best FPS out of WoW raids, you must overclock. Period. Budget allowing the 3570K, board, and cooler (which it does in this case).

I'm going to ignore the fact that most of those don't exist, because it's late. Regardless, I looked up about 8 retailers and pcpartpicker, and almost EVERY place, 3470 is cheaper. I found one that was not.

LOL charts. Numbers charts that purely compare stats are useless for comparison. That's like saying an 600 horsepower truck obviously goes faster than a 500 horsepower corvette. The 7870 XT is on average a good 10% (which is pretty significant for the same price or cheaper) than the 7870. It's often on par with the 7950 in some games. It's the same reason (both price and performance) that the card was literally impossible to get in America for a good few weeks, due to popularity. And while I agree Sapphire isn't my favorite brand by any stretch, the price/performance simply cannot be ignored.

And even if it's more expensive in Europe, everything is more expensive on the same scale, so it'll still be cheaper :P
    I have checked resellers as well 5 out 5 where the i5 3470 was cheaper than the i5 3450 it was either out of stock, sold out, whatever
    From the online Portuguese online stores that still have them all look pretty much like this:

http://www.orangebit.pt/product_info...ce=kuantokusta
    http://www.orangebit.pt/product_info...ce=kuantokusta

But like you said urself, if he has the budget, go for the best, it's pointless to argue, when we both know the i5 3570 is the best

Btw I found your gamming setup interesting

Thanks for all the replies. I have my shopping list almost ready:

CPU: Intel i5-3570K
    Video: 7870 xt Sapphire
    Mobo: Asus z87-a
    memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600 mh
    power: XFX PRO550W`

So I'm basically going with the list Toffie gave me except for the CPU (thanks to Chazus for the more in-depth comments!).

I have one last question about the additional CPU cooler. Toffie mentions the Coolermaster 212 EVO but I've also found the Noctua NH-D14. The Noctua is about 3x as expensive as the 212 EVO but a quick search showed me that the guys at Tom's Hardware seem rather enthusiastic about it. Is the price difference worth it in your opinion?
    Last edited by hartraft; 2013-06-09 at 08:15 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hartraft View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. I have my shopping list almost ready:

CPU: Intel i5-3570K
    Video: 7870 xt Sapphire
    Mobo: Asus z87-a
    memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600 mh
    power: XFX PRO550W`

So I'm basically going with the list Toffie gave me except for the CPU (thanks to Chazus for the more in-depth comments!).

I have one last question about the additional CPU cooler. Toffie mentions the Coolermaster 212 EVO but I've also found the Noctua NH-D14. The Noctua is about 3x as expensive as the 212 EVO but a quick search showed me that the guys at Tom's Hardware seem rather enthusiastic about it. Is the price difference worth it in your opinion?
    Z87's will not accept Ivy Bridge CPUs! This is important stuff!

10+ Year Old Account
    Toffie mentions the Coolermaster 212 EVO but I've also found the Noctua NH-D14. The Noctua is about 3x as expensive as the 212 EVO but a quick search showed me that the guys at Tom's Hardware seem rather enthusiastic about it. Is the price difference worth it in your opinion?
    I personally have the 212 EVO and love it, especially for the price. Is the Noctua better? Yes. Is it 3x better? ...I'd say probably not (simply because I haven't used one myself). On a tight budget, I'd say it's not worth it, but I won't argue that it isn't better. People swear by it, but I just can't see it being worth the price.

Can you link the ram you're planning to get? It should be noted that the Noctua is known for having particularly high clearance, often allowing high profile ram (Which I -think- the vengeance is)... However the Coolermaster is attached via side clips, rather than bolts, so if the ram doesn't fit, the cooler can be raised a few mm higher. I almost had to do that with mine, since I bought the ram months before I finally upgraded to the EVO, but they just barely fit aside.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Going for http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820233186

Z87's will not accept Ivy Bridge CPUs! This is important stuff!
    Wait so the 3570k will not work on it? I guess I'll go with the MSI mobo that Tenangry linked http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130646

however as mobo is concerned the Asrock Z77 Pro4-M also seems nice. I looked at the Asus P8H77-M Pro but it seems that with that one overclocking is not much of an option.
    Last edited by hartraft; 2013-06-09 at 09:22 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I looked at the Asus P8H77-M Pro but it seems that with that one overclocking is not much of an option.
    It is not an option, being an H77 board.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    It is not an option, being an H77 board.
    See, where would I be without you people! I really need to start getting back into this stuff. I literally stopped reading up on all this stuff about 5 years ago.

btw I really do appreciate time and effort you guys put in putting up with me!
    Last edited by hartraft; 2013-06-09 at 09:39 PM.

Deleted
    You should be getting a z77 chipset, Asrock and Gigbyte have good options but myself I prefer this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131837 especially because Asus will have better VMRs.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007KTY4A...glnk-uk-c83-21 is also an option.

---------- Post added 2013-06-09 at 11:07 PM ----------

The best cooler in terms of value remains the Hyper 212 Plus at $25. The ones above that:
    $35 Hyper 212 EVO
    $50 EVGA Superclock
    $80 Thermalright Archon
    $115 Corsair H100

I think it's probably not worth spending more than $50.

Hi Guys,

Just to let you know I ordered all my parts. All the things I mentioned before but replaced the mobo I'd mentioned (which would've been worthless) with KachynaEU's ASUS suggestion (I love ASUS).

Once I get the parts (somewhere this week as the videocard is on back-order) I'll post if my install went smoothly and how the pc runs!

Thanks for all the help!