Thread: Easiest Tank

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Easiest Tank

I want to start a Tank Character, but as im a DPS as main, i want the easiest tank there is. I also want to have decent solo capibilitys. Is a Paladin the way to go? I really dislike Death Knights

As a pally it can be easy to do if you know how to tank.

Deleted
    Soloing capabilities really only leaves you with three options, Paladin/Brewmaster/DK.

Honestly, DK is probably the easiest but apparently you dislike DKs, other than that brewmaster and Paladins are relatively skill related, paladins hold a lot of utility and how they use that can assist heavily in a fight, monks are simple once you get the grove but incredibly weird when you first start out. Since i am assuming you haven't tanked before i would suggest a Paladin just due to the nature of a brewmasters play.

Block tanks are easily the way to go for learning a tank, Brewmasters and DKS are very nerve wracking for a new tank.

Deleted
    If you want easy tank class with soloing capabilities, as other Rawrseix said, DKs is pretty much your only choice.

warriors, druids and dks are quite easy to tank on, dks, paladins and monks are quite good to solo on.

Deleted
    Awesome. Thanks alot

Deleted
    the easyest tank to play is that one you like to play, so try them diff tanks out.

Deleted
    I wouldn't say DK is the only solo choice, like i said earlier Paladins/Dks/Brewmasters all have sufficient self healing, DKS are just a bit more simple on that front whereas Paladins and Monks have a different system but are still incredibly self sufficient as far as soloing is concerned. A paladin has solod galleon and DKs are renoun for their soloing capability. Brewmasters are a little bit more tricky on that front but are still incredibly well for the simpler tasks like soloing warbringers and raid content up to a certain level.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawrsiex View Post
    I wouldn't say DK is the only solo choice, like i said earlier Paladins/Dks/Brewmasters all have sufficient self healing, DKS are just a bit more simple on that front whereas Paladins and Monks have a different system but are still incredibly self sufficient as far as soloing is concerned. A paladin has solod galleon and DKs are renoun for their soloing capability. Brewmasters are a little bit more tricky on that front but are still incredibly well for the simpler tasks like soloing warbringers and raid content up to a certain level.
    Dunno, found soloing 5HCs far easier on BRM than Prot Pala and DK. BRM just got so high damage potential and heal potential at the same time.
    Not that is was very difficult on any tank class.

Though yeah, exactly as you say, DKs is certainly not the only solo choice, however the OP asked for the combination of soloing + easy, that would probably be blood dk.

Deleted
    Well that's the thing, most of the difficult solos are more related to the damage intake, that is where the paladins are good.

Deleted
    I disagree with the reasoning behind DKs being easy to solo content on, i'd probably say its because they press one key and don't really have any other options, hohohoh.

Deleted
    I disagree with the reasoning behind DKs being easy to solo content on, i'd probably say its because they press one key and don't really have any other options, hohohoh.
    Rather that dk's don't depend on vengeance for their dps/healing as much as the other classes.

Deleted
    I was yokin around mejt, chill your beanies

Meh, they're all easy to play if you spend 5 minutes reading up on what you're supposed to do.

Same as every spec in the game really.

Quote Originally Posted by Karlzone View Post
    Rather that dk's don't depend on vengeance for their dps/healing as much as the other classes.
    Replace "dk" with "monk" and this sentence is accurate.

DK's are massively vengeance-dependent for their healing, it's just that reality is hidden indirectly in mechanics. DS's heal/absorb does not directly scale formulaically with vengeance, but that the magnitude of the effect scales with a moving average of damage intake over the previous five seconds means that it correlates with what? Vengeance (albeit with minor differences about how mitigation/avoidance is treated).

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well that's the thing, most of the difficult solos are more related to the damage intake, that is where the paladins are good.

AoE fights only, though. Regardless, with the Vengeance changes in 5.4, Paladins will be worse at soloing things.

---------- Post added 2013-06-08 at 08:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mionelol View Post
    Easiest tank to solo with will be DKs (no question), although don't be mistaken as any tank can just completely faceroll any WotLK or lesser content, even warriors.
    Warriors, Paladins, and Monks can faceroll Yogg-0 on 25-man?

Quote Originally Posted by Veiled Shadow View Post
    AoE fights only, though. Regardless, with the Vengeance changes in 5.4, Paladins will be worse at soloing things.

---------- Post added 2013-06-08 at 08:22 PM ----------

Warriors, Paladins, and Monks can faceroll Yogg-0 on 25-man?
    You will never be able to selfheal so much that you will be fully stacked on vengeance. even in 5.4.

The problem with yogg 0 has nothing to do with tanks its RNG plus some tricks to keep up the insanity but i can be soloed by all tanks.

Rotation wise i would say all are about the same. They are all easy to learn but some take a bit more to be on top lvl. Due to mechanics druids are a bit trickier to play on heroic fights.

Soloable Druids and DKs are the best, with druid beeing the highest selfheal tank class, and DK due to his DS. Monks are strong too due to the high absorb and selfheal. Warriors and Palas are a bit behing on the soloing old content part. Still you can almost solo anything as a tank maybe on some bosses in DS it gets harder, and Warriors have more trouble due to low dps.
    [
    Last edited by Viromand; 2013-06-08 at 09:09 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Viromand View Post
    Soloable Druids and DKs are the best, with druid beeing the highest selfheal tank class, and DK due to his DS. Monks are strong too due to the high absorb and selfheal. Warriors and Palas are a bit behing on the soloing old content part. Still you can almost solo anything as a tank maybe on some bosses in DS it gets harder, and Warriors have more trouble due to low dps.
    You know if there are any threads containing druid soloing? Would love to see how they are doing.
    Have not really heard anything about druid soloing.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dotmore View Post
    I want to start a Tank Character, but as im a DPS as main, i want the easiest tank there is. I also want to have decent solo capibilitys. Is a Paladin the way to go? I really dislike Death Knights
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7924333197

Good informative thread about all the tanks. It answers your question specifically too

Okay, so I can play what I want. Tanking is hard, though. Which tank is the easiest?
    The short answer is that it's subjective. If you want my personal opinion, I find Brewmasters to be the hardest and Paladins to be the easiest.

The long answer is that it's the wrong question to ask.

Usually, when somebody asks “what tank is the easiest” they're asking “what tank class can I play that lets me get the best results for the least work” or, even worse, “which tank is the most powerful.” The problem with these questions is that with the advent of active mitigation, the best tank is the one that puts in the most effort. You can't win by picking the right class at character creation any more.

Thus, the real answer to this question is “play what you feel you could put the most effort into, because not only will it be fun, you'll be willing to do it more.” If you need help picking a tank, I suggest that you take a read through the later sections of this document.

Pally handsdown

A lot of people bash Death Knights as the easiest tank. Certainly, for soloing they're powerful, but when it comes to a proper raiding situation, rune management combined with Runic Power and then cooldowns, along with Diseases, it can get a bit hectic.

Paladins are fairly simple. They have a lot of additional things they could do to make them even better, but generally speaking most of the Paladin abilities are purely cooldown driven. If it is off cooldown, press it.