Thread: Easiest Tank

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dotmore View Post
    I want to start a Tank Character, but as im a DPS as main, i want the easiest tank there is. I also want to have decent solo capibilitys. Is a Paladin the way to go? I really dislike Death Knights
    Paladins win this race and nothing even remotely comes close. Paladins are probably the only tanks in the game that have a very natural flow to it. It isn't clunky, or mashing of keys. It simply flows and is very smooth.

Paladins are pretty decent when it comes to soloing though Death Knights do it better.

Monks are a tough one. They seem a bit more clunky when I tried mine. Often times I was waiting for Energy to regen. It took me a really long time to Master Death Knight tanking which I would consider hard managing two resources, but Monks are a step or two above that.

Paladins are probably the easiest and fail proof tank in the game. Its hard to screw up on a Paladin. They have so many passive mitigations compared to say a Warrior or a Death Knight. Even a Death Knight has to use their CDs in tune with Death Strike to get maximum benefit.

Warriors can be quite a pain since they lack in the healing department and are often clunky and require a ton of mashing of keys.

Quote Originally Posted by Viromand View Post
    Druids have the highest basic dmg output from all tank classes.
    Agreed, druids do a lot of damage on AoE fights and on Single target ones, and plus huge amounts of Vengeance = OP tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebonheart View Post
    Paladins win this race and nothing even remotely comes close. Paladins are probably the only tanks in the game that have a very natural flow to it. It isn't clunky, or mashing of keys. It simply flows and is very smooth.
    Dunno how you can say this, paladins have like the clunkiest skill set ever. Several skills are only used because the alternative is to use nothing at all, and they still end up with many huge holes where there's nothing to do other than refresh sacred shield (which then conditions you only to use it when you have nothing else to use, which means that it'll constantly drop off if for whatever reason your rotation is lacking holes for long enough periods of time, and HotR is similarily poorly designed, if not *as* bad), and you have to deal with the bullshit of so many meaningless abilities on different cooldowns all coming off cooldown within one GCD of each other, leaving to you wonder which one you should ideally click. Dunno how many times I've seen logs of paladins with huge amounts of holy power missing because they're pushing wrong buttons at wrong times, nevermind the trap that many fall into of prioritizing judgments over crusader strike.

Probably the only tank that feels worse is warriors, with their constant rage starvation and huge 1.5 sec GCD providing an endless source of frustration.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

I have all tanks, and although I haven't played in a few months, my knowledge shouldn't be too outdated.

Easiest to Hardest:

DK
    Pally
    Monk
    Druid
    Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    I have all tanks, and although I haven't played in a few months, my knowledge shouldn't be too outdated.

Easiest to Hardest:

DK
    Pally
    Monk
    Druid
    Warrior
    Exactly what is hard with a warrior? Im playing one myself, and I don't see the hard part(been tanking ToT hc)

I just got a Bear tank to 90 and have been tanking some heroics and LFR. I have to say it's by far the easiest tank to play. 3 buttons.

Single Target:
    Mangle
    Thrash
    Lacerate

Multiple Targets:
    Mangle
    Thrash
    Swipe

Then you can throw in optional 4th button for rage dumps.
    Maul
    Savage Defense
    Frenzied Regeneration

Of the 3 tanks I've tanked with in Cata and MoP, I'd have to say I still enjoy Paladin the most over Druid and DK. So no experience with Monks or Warriors.

For 5 mans i would say DK. They can get away with just using death strike all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post

Easiest to Hardest:

DK
    Pally
    Monk
    Druid
    Warrior
    I would argue DKs have the largest variance from bad to good players. That's not even restricted to tanks either.

Quote Originally Posted by Caladia View Post
    I just got a Bear tank to 90 and have been tanking some heroics and LFR. I have to say it's by far the easiest tank to play. 3 buttons.

Single Target:
    Mangle
    Thrash
    Lacerate

Multiple Targets:
    Mangle
    Thrash
    Swipe

Then you can throw in optional 4th button for rage dumps.
    Maul
    Savage Defense
    Frenzied Regeneration

Of the 3 tanks I've tanked with in Cata and MoP, I'd have to say I still enjoy Paladin the most over Druid and DK. So no experience with Monks or Warriors.
    1. You have one more button you need to use on single target fights, which is Faerie Fire.
    2. Multiple-target rotation depends on how many targets you've got. If it's 2-3, you'll keep Lacerate and Thrash up on all of them.
    3. Rage dumps are not "optional," unless you're only running LFR. You'll be using them continuously especially as your Rage generation gets higher.
    4. It's easy to play a bear if you spend all your time in bear, but there's a lot of utility available to us that we can't use in Bear Form. Shifting out during a boss' big channeled ability to blow Tranq, kiting so you can get in a Remove Corruption, Dashing away from Decapitate, or using Prowl to be closer for the pull.. etc.. there's a lot of utility that is wasted on most Druid players.
    Last edited by Tarazet; 2013-06-17 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarazet View Post
    1. You have one more button you need to use on single target fights, which is Faerie Fire.
    2. Multiple-target rotation depends on how many targets you've got. If it's 2-3, you'll keep Lacerate and Thrash up on all of them.
    3. Rage dumps are not "optional," unless you're only running LFR. You'll be using them continuously especially as your Rage generation gets higher.
    4. It's easy to play a bear if you spend all your time in bear, but there's a lot of utility available to us that we can't use in Bear Form. Shifting out during a boss' big channeled ability to blow Tranq, kiting so you can get in a Remove Corruption, Dashing away from Decapitate, or using Prowl to be closer for the pull.. etc.. there's a lot of utility that is wasted on most Druid players.
    I'm only running 5 mans and LFR's, so playing at top level isn't necessarily required. I probably did give out bad info, but for me so far that's the basis of the priority system. Yeah I Faerie Fire to keep the debuff up on the boss, and I rage dump often with all three options depending on the situation I'm in.

I will also say that they do have a lot more options out there, but it's quite easy to get going and make it work out as you learn the ropes.

Quote Originally Posted by Caladia View Post
    I'm only running 5 mans and LFR's, so playing at top level isn't necessarily required. I probably did give out bad info, but for me so far that's the basis of the priority system. Yeah I Faerie Fire to keep the debuff up on the boss, and I rage dump often with all three options depending on the situation I'm in.

I will also say that they do have a lot more options out there, but it's quite easy to get going and make it work out as you learn the ropes.
    I'd say that's pretty much the case for most tanks. You can play a Brewmaster Monk decently well using nothing but Keg Smash, Jab, and Blackout Kick, plus Tiger Palm as a filler. Then just learn to clear your stagger with Purifying Brew and keep up Elusive Brew, and you're well on the way to being unstoppable.