Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kivipää View Post
    Your complete lack of understanfing of PTSD and human psyche aside, I found it petty funny how you said "claims to have" when the article you linked clearly states "has been diagnosed with". Slanted presentation much?
    Leaves out the fact he's been diagnosed, also leaves out how many people he's responsible for killing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    You must be an idiot if you can't understand how killing people could cause PTSD. I don't care if it's through a computer monitor, it's still killing.
    I'm not an idiot, I simply lack empathy or understanding how someone who voluntarily signed up to fly drones in a time of war could not have been mentally prepared for what he was doing; thousands of soldiers get their hands actually bloody and don't whine and cry about the things they've seen.
    Last edited by Clevername; 2013-06-08 at 05:15 PM. Reason: typo

Nothing funny about it. It's a pretty cold hearted individual that can push a button to launch a nuclear missile and not feel any remorse just because the target is hundreds of miles away. This is the same thing, but on a smaller scale.

Snipers sometimes feel guilt for killing targets that have no realistic chance to fight back. It doesn't have the same sense of "honorable" combat as engaging someone head-on (though depending on the intent, like taking out a suicide bomber before he reaches his target it can be very honorable). Drone pilots very much go through the same emotions.

Quote Originally Posted by Clevername View Post
    I'm not an idiot, I simply lack apathy or understanding how someone who voluntarily signed up to fly drones in a time of war could not have been mentally prepared for what he was doing; thousands of soldiers get their hands actually bloody and don't whine and cry about the things they've seen.
    And this is how PTSD starts. All of these questions, all of these emotions, and they get repressed because they are worried about the reaction of somebody like you.

Thoughts? I think it's pretty funny that a guy who's never been in real combat, fired any rounds claims to have the same ailment as real soldiers who see war firsthand.
    When you can end the lives of hundreds of people remotely with little to no effort, I think that will have a negative impact on the mind. If you can murder so easily, your own life seems extremely vulnerable in return. And what you eyes don't see, your mind fills in - and the mind is very vivid and creative.

So I think you're wrong to laugh at someone's suffering. Extremely wrong.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm not an idiot, I simply lack apathy or understanding how someone who voluntarily signed up to fly drones in a time of war could not have been mentally prepared for what he was doing; thousands of soldiers get their hands actually bloody and don't whine and cry about the things they've seen.
    But some still get PTSD. Just because you volunteer, know what you are getting yourself into, and are told what you are getting yourself into doesn't mean you are immune from PTSD. I think you just don't understand what PTSD is since your comments don't mesh with facts and reality of PTSD.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristeus View Post
    Leaves out the fact he's been diagnosed, also leaves out how many people he's responsible for killing.
    do you realize how incredibly easy it is to get diagnosed with PTSD when you're discharged from the military, if I were a complete douchebag I could be living on 100 percent disability for the rest of my life.

You lack apathy? You lack being indifferent? I think you mean empathy.

By your own lack of logic, why should a soldier on the ground feel bad for what he did if he signed up? Shouldn't he be prepared?

do you realize how incredibly easy it is to get diagnosed with PTSD when you're discharged from the military, if I were a complete douchebag I could be living on 100 percent disability for the rest of my life.
    PTSD is quite high for combatants.... are you serious?

By that logic, how does anyone serving in the military in any role ever get traumatized? They should have been mentally prepared when they signed up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

if I were a complete douchebag I could be living on 100 percent disability for the rest of my life.
    *resisting the urge to say bannable things*

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    So when did he start feeling remorse? Was it after his first victim, or the 500th, or maybe even the 1000th. Stop me when im getting warm.
    Does this actually matter? It's not like he can go "okay i'm done quitting army."

Should every soldier that feels remorse after first kill stop? We wouldn't have much of an army.

A lot of drone pilots didn't specifically sign on for that purpose, they joined the service and their talents were deemed suitable for that role and were assigned as such.

A lot of soldiers on the frontlines do experience PTSD, but even setting that aside, it's different when the target can fight back. "It was him or me. Every I target I killed could fight back." No so with drone pilots, so there's a different sense of "guilt".

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    *resisting the urge to say bannable things*
    Can't help you there, I have 2 active infractions right now. :P

SO I would have to call the OP: A potentially uninformed individual who has started an ill-advised confrontation about the merits of one particular PTSD diagnosis.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristeus View Post
    You lack apathy? You lack being indifferent? I think you mean empathy.

By your own lack of logic, why should a soldier on the ground feel bad for what he did if he signed up? Shouldn't he be prepared?
    Thanks for the correction and No, she shouldn't feel bad for what he's done, I believe the majority of PTSD claims are utter horseshit.

Quote Originally Posted by YuneKirby View Post
    Nothing funny about it. It's a pretty cold hearted individual that can push a button to launch a nuclear missile and not feel any remorse just because the target is hundreds of miles away. This is the same thing, but on a smaller scale.

Snipers sometimes feel guilt for killing targets that have no realistic chance to fight back. It doesn't have the same sense of "honorable" combat as engaging someone head-on (though depending on the intent, like taking out a suicide bomber before he reaches his target it can be very honorable). Drone pilots very much go through the same emotions.
    this has been the heart of the military institution. be able to kill as if you were a machine. ironically the major powers are now turning to real machines themselves to kill innocent civilians.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    By that logic, how does anyone serving in the military in any role ever get traumatized? They should have been mentally prepared when they signed up.
    Good question, no clue.

Thanks for the correction and No, she shouldn't feel bad for what he's done, I believe the majority of PTSD claims are utter horseshit.
    and your proof is what

Where's RICH when you need him.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    and your proof is what
    He just knows.... (soft trailing off voice) he just knows....

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Treelife View Post
    Where's RICH when you need him.
    You have to use the RICH signal.