Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Sexism in pop culture

So I was a bit confused recently. I am catching up on some Grey's Anatomy and in one of the episodes one of the doctors (female) ends up bruised with a black eye from her boyfriend, who fell hit his head and ended up with a brain hemorrhage. So he wakes up and the friend of the female doctor goes to talk with him. (he was going to call the police) and basically he explains that she was attacking him and what was he suppose to do. To which the reply was take it you don't hit women pretty much. Here is where I am more confused though because he ended up with a brain hemorrhage and nearly dead, and the message is still to take it?

10+ Year Old Account
    You probably shouldn't watch Grey's Anatomy.

Quote Originally Posted by Shuji V2 View Post
    You probably shouldn't watch Grey's Anatomy.
    Not so much Grey's Anatomy, I'm sure this message would be in just about every other popular show.

The message is to be less clumsy in the future, when getting beat up by your wife, girlfriend, or significant other. Always maintain proper positioning of the feet- makes it much harder to be pushed to the ground.
    Last edited by King Shark; 2013-06-08 at 06:04 PM.
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    If women are attacking you or annoying you then violence against them is just as justified as it is against a man.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

I normally blame faulty lines on writers getting lazy when they are writing the scripts.

Its a show for women. What do you expect. For it to cater to men?

Regardless, why do you even care what a TV show says.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    The message is to be less clumsy in the future, when getting beat up by your wife, girlfriend, or significant other. Always maintain proper positioning of the feet- makes it much harder to be pushed to the ground.
    This, remember the motion too - always moving, eye to eye.

Deleted
    Ya see Marital Abuse is like Dodgeball. Just remember the 5Ds

Dodge.
    Duck.
    Dip.
    Dive.
    And dodge.

Quote Originally Posted by Shop Ebay View Post
    I normally blame faulty lines on writers getting lazy when they are writing the scripts.
    Oh God yes! I was watching homeland and the son was like "What's a Chauffeur is that some kind of" and said something way stupid and I was like... are we serious right now?

Sexism against men is popular nowadays.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Auloria View Post
    What was the show, where the women were clamoring for the mans dick to be thrown in a disposal unit?

Had an osbourne in it iirc

Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    What was the show, where the women were clamoring for the mans dick to be thrown in a disposal unit?

Had an osbourne in it iirc
    The Talk. One woman did bring up the sexism and was shut up rather quickly with the "it's different."

Deleted
    I'm no expert fighter, and would most likely get my ass handed to me by anyone my size, but if a woman came at me with bad intentions, I'd put her down. Her being a woman would have nothing to do with it. When I say put her down, I'd do anything I'd do to a man, punch, kick, bodyslam, whatever it takes. There's no "it's a woman, let her abuse you" -law.

Quote Originally Posted by Auloria View Post
    Sexism against everyone is popular on telly. It's bloody horrible. Whether it's sitcoms where all men are either stupid and evil, or music videos where all women exist only as objects of lust... Pop telly is just horrible because it's sexist. Against everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Sexism against everyone is popular on telly. It's bloody horrible. Whether it's sitcoms where all men are either stupid and evil, or music videos where all women exist only as objects of lust... Pop telly is just horrible because it's sexist. Against everyone.
    This is true I've been equally annoyed with obvious sexism towards women.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Its a show for women.
    Says the guy with the MLP avatar and sig...

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Warrior View Post
    Says the guy with the MLP avatar and sig...
    Still better than Grey's Anatomy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristeus View Post
    The Talk. One woman did bring up the sexism and was shut up rather quickly with the "it's different."
    But it IS different. Sexism against men isn't seen as a "reality" as much as it is against women. Both are happening as there are so many stereotypes pressed against both genders. But people only want to talk about women. This is why if you are getting beaten by your girlfriend or boyfriend, and you are male, you are essentially screwed because of the whole "men are toughj" and the "dont hit a girl" syndrome that gleefully pushes these victims into a state where they are forced to take it. Why? Because society says 'screw you, you don't have a vagina.'

...And I'm female and I'm stating this crap. -.-'
    ---TransAwesome---
    A rainbow a day keeps the gloomies away.

Deleted
    OP, I think that by now it's pretty obvious to everyone that when a guy is kicked in the balls, or pretty much everywhere it's considered to be funny, but if a woman is shown being hit anywhere it's sexism. And that show is not even a good example.

This isn't a "has anyone noticed", issue. Those who don't are either dumb or in denial.
    Last edited by mmoc0f233d9eb1; 2013-06-08 at 08:20 PM.