Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    There's one thing worse than chewing loudly or with your mouth open, that is biting on the spoon/fork. I HATE that sound, I had to skip the parts in Django Unchained where they eat because of this. The first scene where it happened I actually started shouting at the screen that he had to stop it... Annoying thing is that my dad does it all the time. Nobody in the family does it except for him, it's like he does it on purpose.
    You're just like my brother in that sense, he could pretty much get heavily annoyed at me if I bit on a fork.

OT: I know just what you mean. I hate having a meal with my sister because she constantly makes noises and it just puts me off. I'm pretty much silent nowadays.
    I remember a time when my father got mad at me because I made too much noise when swallowing. I then spent almost an entire day devising a way to swallow silently and it has served me to this day.

Deleted
    This isnt an actual problem, I think this is more about OP growing up.

15+ Year Old Account
    You are certainly not alone. I too have this problem. I'm afraid there's nothing that you can do about it. I've tried explaining it to my parents, but when I do, they just say I'm being crazy for being annoyed by it. Once I convince them however, they don't understand what they are doing wrong.

Problem is, people make sound when they eat with their mouths closed aswell. It's completely unnecessary. Just suck your cheeks against your teeth and then make a chewing motion. and you'll know what I'm talking about.
    Statix will suffice.

Quote Originally Posted by Talzz View Post
    Hey there everyone!

I saw a lot of people posting real life problems on the forums, or questions. So I thought I'd go ahead and try my luck in order to see if there are any like me.

As you probably already guessed by now, I have a problem. The title pretty much sums it up already, the problem would be that I can't take the noise of people eating, some people eat with a lot of noise, it's kind of hard to explain, but I hope you know what I mean. Some people don't eat with a lot of noise and some do, now it happens to be that my dad does eat with a lot of noise, and seeing as I eat with him almost on a daily basis, I started to create a very sensitive hearing towards this, and I can't help but notice the noisy eating, it even became this bad that I'm starting to notice it with others more and more too.

The sound disgusts me, it totally ruins my hunger and I noticed I eat less because of this...
    Every time I tell him about it he dodges the subject as well.

Is there anyone like me around that feels the same way, anyone who got any "tips" or able to tell me how they deal with it?
    It's starting to annoy me I notice it every time I have dinner with some people...

Thank you for reading this,
    Talzz
    This is exactly my story. I mean, EXACTLY. i developed this sensitivity too while eating with my dad a long time. since than, i cant stand to hear anything to be eaten. even if it is on radio or tv.
    i now live with my girlfriend alone and it start to become better, but there are this times of day at which i simply must put on my headphones and listn to music to overhear it... espacialy when i am in a bad mood.

10+ Year Old Account
    Loud mastication is disgusting. I always tell people I'm eating with to close their mouths when they're eating. If not I won't eat with them, I don't care if they're a client or otherwise.

I'm nice about it of course. You don't catch flies with vinegar.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    I think you're diving too deep here.

If etiquette is widely accepted, its existence becomes fact. If etiquette exists and is widely accepted, it becomes fact that the majority expects you to chew with your mouth shut. There's nothing subjective about the expectations of the vast majority in a given area.
    just because in your point of view that it is widely accepted, does not mean its fact. you can't prove that it's fact, and you keep going and going and going.

Wear headphones with a hype eating-time theme blaring I guess. Or just slap your dad in his mouth and tell him to have some manners. I'm sure it'll go over nice and smooth.

i hate the "sighing" noise people make. like they're having a fricken orgasm eating food, right in front of me. mind your manners at least!

Dad does this, especially with cereal. Solution = eat in a different room.

My sister has this problem. She tries to sit as far away from the noisy ones as much as possible. Also if you keep the table chatty and talking its much harder to notice it.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkrulerxxx View Post
    just because in your point of view that it is widely accepted, does not mean its fact. you can't prove that it's fact, and you keep going and going and going.
    If you honestly believe table manners being the accepted standard in the US is "just my point of view", you're either completely out of touch with your surroundings and borderline delusional, or you're arguing for the sake of arguing. I hope for you, that it's the latter. Googling the words "table manners" or "eating etiquette" broadly proves that they exist and are commonly used.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    If you honestly believe table manners being the accepted standard in the US is "just my point of view", you're either completely out of touch with your surroundings and borderline delusional, or you're arguing for the sake of arguing. I hope for you, that it's the latter. Googling the words "table manners" or "eating etiquette" broadly proves that they exist and are commonly used.
    yet again you keep spouting that we were talking just soley on western culture, when in fact, we werent, you're putting table manners to every culture as a stereotype, which is not true. ALL CULTURES VIEW TABLE MANNERS DIFFERENTLY, and therefore your over-redundant fact that every culture views chewing loudly as offensive or rude or annoying IS SIMPLY NOT TRUE. get that fact straight in your head.

Even more than chewing food for me is chewing gum really loud. Jaw moving all the way up and down as if they're purposely trying to make that much noise.

Deleted
    I have no such problem I think.

I can get annoying maybe if somebody is doing it on purpose and violently.

But nearly everybody I know eat with mouths closed and even if sound comes out I don't care.

10+ Year Old Account
    OMG I can not stand loud eaters.
    I work next to a guy you can hear from 20 feet away, its disgusting. I have yo put on headphones and blast music every time he eats as it makes me sick.
    why people can not chew with their mouths closed I will never know.
    not using knife and fork, annoying but ok I can live with that. but the loud eating, and/or eating with mouth open is the biggest annoyance I have. and has ended a great many potential relationships.
    Ladies nothing more gross than seeing what you are eating while you are eating it (exceptions are ice blocks )

I know this is going to come across bad but certain countries are the main culprits. sure they have their own version of etiquette, but man mouth closed should be universal.

I can't stand loud/open mouthed chewers either for the most part. I live with my boyfriend and he has this problem of chewing loudly at times, I just plug my ears or turn up the tv a bit and ignore it because asking him to chew quieter would just hurt his feelings I'm afraid and makes me feel rude.

Really the best thing to do is try to cover your ears or go somewhere else if it bothers you too much :3