Trouble dual booting Ubuntu & Windows 7

Hello,

I started using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (64-bit) from my USB drive a couple months ago. I decided I wanted to install it permanently, but I didn't want to overwrite my current OS (Windows 7 64-bit), and I didn't want to partition my 500GB internal HDD. So I pulled my laptop's 3 year old 500GB HDD out and put it into my computer case. I also detached my Windows 7 HDD while I formatted and installed Ubuntu on the laptop HD. I ran the Ubuntu installer and successfully installed Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. It ran nicely and no problems. However, when I went to reconnect the Windows 7 OS HDD (computer off / unplugged) and boot it up, the computer would directly go to the Ubuntu OS. I went to the BIOS and checked the boot order (setting the Windows 7 OS to prioritize booting), and I would get a brief message that said, "Starting Windows," and then I would get "Windows is loading files" and Ubuntu would load anyway. If I boot the Ubuntu OS first from that HDD I don't get any messages from Windows. Presently, I have the Ubuntu HDD detached and I'm just using Windows.

Am I correct in assuming / hoping that I can choose to boot between 2 separate HDD's with 2 different OS's (in this case, Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and Windows 7 (both 64-bit))?

Thx.

General Information
    CPU (AMD, A6-3620, 2.20 Ghz)
    Motherboard (AAHD2-HY, Holly, AMD Hudson-D2 FCH)
    RAM (Cosair 8000 MB, DDRM, 1.3 Mhz)
    Graphics Card (ASUS Radeon, 7750)
    Power Supply (Corsair TX650, 650W)

Deleted
    Format Ubuntu drive and reinstall Ubuntu with Win7 drive attached. Choose the option to install it alongside Win7.

Deleted
    Install Windows 7
    Launch Ubuntu Installer inside Windows 7.

Want to uninstall Ubuntu?
    Programs > Ubuntu > Uninstall.
    Done.

Quote Originally Posted by Everoth View Post
    Format Ubuntu drive and reinstall Ubuntu with Win7 drive attached. Choose the option to install it alongside Win7.
    I tried doing this and I think I may have messed something up.

So, I started by connecting both the Win7 HD and Ubuntu HD, and then booted Ubuntu 12.04 LTS from USB and installed on the Ubuntu drive. Half-way through the installation I got a message that there was a fatal error with a boot loader or boot file or something. So, what I did was I changed a file from like /sdb to the HD location that I wanted Ubuntu to install on. I know that last sentence is pretty foggy but that's probably where I made the mistake. Ubuntu finished installing though. Then I reset the computer and when it booted it went straight to a Grub Terminal thing. I rebooted from the USB Ubuntu and searched Google, and it looked like my computer has an EFI BIOS and Ubuntu 12.04 LTS doesn't or something like that, so I followed instructions here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair) and then reset the computer again. Now I get a new message that just says, "error: invalid independent ELF magic," just like that with a grub rescue> command line thing.

Any thoughts what my problem might be?

10+ Year Old Account
    what you are trying is very easy, i do it on my laptop all the time
    before you install ubuntu, you need to remove the windows hard drive, that way grub doesn't pick up the windows boot loader
    after ubuntu is installed, put the windows hard drive back in, and then select which drive to boot from the BIOS selector

however, you have already screwed up your windows boot loader

try this:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/32523...ader-problems/

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    what you are trying is very easy, i do it on my laptop all the time
    before you install ubuntu, you need to remove the windows hard drive, that way grub doesn't pick up the windows boot loader
    after ubuntu is installed, put the windows hard drive back in, and then select which drive to boot from the BIOS selector

however, you have already screwed up your windows boot loader

try this:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/32523...ader-problems/
    I was trying to do that originally, but Windows would not load when both the HDs were connected. I'll look into that link, thank you.

10+ Year Old Account
    when you install ubuntu, don't do an EFI install, that is probably what is screwing with windows the most

Is that option when I download the ISO file, or is it during the actual installation process (when it gets put on the HD)?

Edit - I think Windows is broken. I tried detaching the HD w/ Ubuntu on it and just booting the computer with the W7 drive and I still get the same grub rescure> command line (it has a different message instead of the ELF magic thing tho).
    Last edited by ZCubed; 2013-06-15 at 10:12 PM.