Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ciggy View Post
    I agree completely, the gpu matters much more than the chip you have, ssds are for boot times, and such. You can get a 256gb ssd for around 200, and that would be a waste for you. You could get a nice 7000 series card for around 150-200.

I have an ssd with the os and wow on it, wow runs flawlessly and loads quick. I have a 8 second boot time. It's a wonderful piece of technology. I had large budget though, you could perhaps get an ssd 110 (128 m4 crucial) and a nice card for 150-200. If you could stretch your budget a tad you could get both.

Your cpu is fine, ram is overkill, but still cool (i'm a jackass and have 32gb so i need to shut my cockhole), mobo is solid as well.
    I wouldn't really call any GPU in the 150-200 realm a "nice card"... that's pretty low budget, and would be backtracking, compared to the 6950 he already has.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    lurking in the bushes outside of your window.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I wouldn't really call any GPU in the 150-200 realm a "nice card"... that's pretty low budget, and would be backtracking, compared to the 6950 he already has.
    I got http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102999 for 180, it's a really really nice card, not top of the line, but i get 100fps steady in wow on full ultra.

I know it's not a 7990 or anything, but it's nice.

10+ Year Old Account
    After some research I am actually quite interested in the i7 4770k but that would be about a $550 upgrade since I would need a new motherboard.

So now it is between the i7 4770k ($550) or a GTX 770($400)

I am NOT concerned about making WoW run better. I am more concerned with how newer high end games like Battlefield 4 or Watchdogs are going to run which is why I am leaning towards the card for now and upgrade my CPU when the next generation of i7's (5000 series) come out.

---------- Post added 2013-06-11 at 04:09 PM ----------

according to the benchmarks at cpubenchmark.net the GTX 770 would be about a 110% upgrade whereas the CPU would be about a 55% upgrade.

I will still plan on the GPU because these newer games are going to be more GPU dependent

Quote Originally Posted by ciggy View Post
    i get 100fps steady in wow on full ultra.
    In an empty zone maybe. No way you get that in a raid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karragon View Post
    I'd like WoW to be a single player game

Quote Originally Posted by Ganador View Post
    according to the benchmarks at cpubenchmark.net the GTX 770 would be about a 110% upgrade whereas the CPU would be about a 55% upgrade.
    Passmark benchmarks aren't very accurate. Only use Passmark benchmarks for very low end CPUs and GPUs that aren't regularly benched by review sites.

Anandtech bench shows a i7-3770K performing 67% faster than a FX-8150 in WoW. The performance difference will be marginal (<10%) in FPS games like BF4.

Techpowerup shows the 770 as ~80% faster than a 6950.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganador View Post
    After some research I am actually quite interested in the i7 4770k but that would be about a $550 upgrade since I would need a new motherboard.

So now it is between the i7 4770k ($550) or a GTX 770($400)

I am NOT concerned about making WoW run better. I am more concerned with how newer high end games like Battlefield 4 or Watchdogs are going to run which is why I am leaning towards the card for now and upgrade my CPU when the next generation of i7's (5000 series) come out.
    Approximately a year+ away. :P

However, I do support your goal, as I think you're taking the right step. I have a GTX 560 Ti, which trades blows with your GPU, and I must say, I share your sentiment on feeling like the GPU is showing its age, more or less.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water