View Poll Results: Do you agree with Snowden's Asylum in Russia?

Voters
96. This poll is closed
  • Agree

68 70.83%
  • No not agree

13 13.54%
  • Don't know

3 3.13%
  • Don't care

12 12.50%
Page 6 of 107 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by whoranzone View Post
    The funny part is that nobody will give a shit in let's say two months.
    I will, and so will millions of other Americans.
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    I will, and so will millions of other Americans.
    Yup. Then most of those millions will vote GOP and nothing will change here.

Plus you'll get a nice dash of social conservatism.

---------- Post added 2013-06-10 at 01:03 AM ----------

Ultimately this shows one of the most crippling weaknesses of our governmental system.

The power to change these laws doesn't rest with the guy we all vote for, it rests with the committee members who write this shit. And most of us don't get to vote them out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    So the Legislative Branch hoses up everything, and he executes the laws already there, and we can call him disappointing how?

You really wanted to say something's disappointing? Try 60 votes for getting anything done in the Senate.
    "It's all the Republicans fault! It's not his fault he's caved in to their every demand, lied about various policy directions, been a bitch to big business, and terrible on civil liberties!"

If I wanted to hear that I could go over to HuffPo. Obama has no credibility.

"It's all the Republicans fault! It's not his fault he's caved in to their every demand, lied about various policy directions, been a bitch to big business, and terrible on civil liberties!"

If I wanted to hear that I could go over to HuffPo.
    That's not what he said at all.

You're smarter than this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Yup. Then most of those millions will vote GOP and nothing will change here.

Plus you'll get a nice dash of social conservatism.
    I'll never vote GOP or Democrat until citizens united is gone. I know most Americans aren't very informed about these sorts of things but I think many people will realize we've been fleeced by both parties. I dislike social conservatism more than even most progressives do. We just need to get allies where we can and form coalitions to beat these specific types of policies and nothing more.

So, I wonder in addition to asylum how much he got paid to speak the supposed truth? Unless we're to believe he did it out of the kindness of his heart. Maybe he'll even tell us once he secures his book deal.
    We have felled demon commanders, cowed the master of death, conquered Old Gods, and stopped the Aspect of Death from destroying the very planet. Now, we need to kill this dude who managed to enslave pudding eating panda's, slobbering sauroks, and hilariously inept hozen. Awesome. Really epic.

I'm pretty sure that's the worst straw-man I've ever seen you post. It's really like you didn't read my post at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's not what he said at all.

You're smarter than this.
    If it was anyone else I would think he was saying something else, but his post history in particular would lead me to believe otherwise. The alternative meaning to his post would indicate that he believes the President has no moral compass or mind of his own, and that he has no choice but to do the things he does simply because he has the ability to do them. We both know that's not true.

In this case, he is either being misquoted, or Ben Franklin was being a fucking idiot.
    Are all the people below also idiots???????????

1. But when a long chain of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Depotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.
    2. America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and loose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    3. The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
    4. Dictatorship naturally arises out of democracy, and the most aggravated form of tyranny and slavery out of the most extreme liberty.
    5. It will be found an unjust and unwise jealousy to deprive a man of his natural liberty upon the supposition he may abuse it.
    6. I weep for the liberty of my country when I see at this early day of its successful experiment that corruption has been imputed to many members of the House of Representatives, and the rights of the people have been bartered for promises of office.
    7. When the American spirit was in its youth, the language of America was different: Liberty, sir, was the primary object.
    8. The real democratic American idea is, not that every man shall be on a level with every other man, but that every man shall have liberty to be what God made him, without hindrance.
    9. Liberty may be endangered by the abuse of liberty, but also by the abuse of power.
    10.America was established not to create wealth but to realize a vision, to realize an ideal - to discover and maintain liberty among men.

1. Declaration of Independence
    2. Abraham Lincoln
    3. Thomas Jefferson
    4. Plato
    5. George Washington
    6. Andrew Jackson
    7. Patrick Henry
    8. Henry Ward Beecher
    9. John Maddison
    10. Woodrow Wilson
    Want to play SWTOR again and get 7 free days of subscription access + free ingame goodies: http://www.swtor.com/r/d5LnJT

Argument by quotation does no one any favors.

If it was anyone else I would think he was saying something else, but his post history in particular would lead me to believe otherwise. The alternative meaning to his post would indicate that he believes the President has no moral compass or mind of his own, and that he has no choice but to do the things he does simply because he has the ability to do them. We both know that's not true.
    Or the meaning of my post was extremely simple: the fact that he is doing his job in executing the laws. One cannot file him as 'disappointing' due to the shortcomings of the Legislative Branch.

Quote Originally Posted by whoranzone View Post
    The funny part is that nobody will give a shit in let's say two months.
    This is unfortunately the real kicker :-(

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Gov't calling him a traitor when they have been recording our messages, emails, phone calls for decades? Bull fucking shit.
    You really didn't read up on what PRISM is even doing?

Metadata isn't the actual messages or calls.

This type of ignorance is dangerous in politics.

Argument by quotation does no one any favors.
    that should be a quote
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

Quote Originally Posted by vastx View Post
    If he's caught by our law enforcement, he'll be in prison for the rest of his life. Bravado will get ya 4 walls. What would you do?
    Shit is top secret for a reason trust me. Civilians will never understand, but what he was given access to is pretty high up there. You sign paperwork saying that "if you reveal this you are fucked".

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    I hope you read more than just the highlighted spots. It says telephone metadata does not include the name, address or financial information of subscribers. So they have a list of what number calls what number, and not even names attached to them.
    How big of a step is it to get the names associated with the numbers?

---------- Post added 2013-06-09 at 09:54 PM ----------

Its not hard to argue that divulging state secrets in a way that our enemies can find out about is aiding the enemy.
    So Al Queda didn't already know that their communications could be monitored? Lol

Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    that should be a quote
    "Argument by quotation does no one any favors" -Nikola Tesla.

In this case, he is either being misquoted, or Ben Franklin was being a fucking idiot.
    Misquoted.

That quotation first appeared in a 1755 letter Ben Franklin wrote concerning events surrounding the French and Indian War. It has nothing to do with individuals ceding personal liberty to a governmental leviathan, but the strain on democratic self-governance created by extreme wealth and privilege.

Short Version: The elected legislature of Pennsylvania sought to raise money for the common defense by taxing the Penn family's land holdings. The Penn family, which owned the colony, had the governor (who was appointed by them) veto the measure, on several occasions, but the public backlash prompted them to offer a cash amount to pay for the defense. Franklin, writing a letter to the governor, deplored the position that he and the Penn family were putting the colony in; giving up the most basic elements of self-government (taxation) in order to literally purchase temporary security.

10+ Year Old Account
    More background information about the whistleblower

1. He is 29 years old and grew up in Elizabeth City, North Carolina. He later moved to Maryland with his family, according to The Guardian, near NSA headquarters. Most recently, he lived in Hawaii with his girlfriend.

2. Snowden works for Booz Allen Hamilton, a major American security contractor, as an infrastructure analyst for the NSA. In a brief statement with regards to the leaked files, the company wrote:

Booz Allen can confirm that Edward Snowden, 29, has been an employee of our firm for less than 3 months, assigned to a team in Hawaii. News reports that this individual has claimed to have leaked classified information are shocking, and if accurate, this action represents a grave violation of the code of conduct and core values of our firm. We will work closely with our clients and authorities in their investigation of this matter.

3. His was making a salary of roughly $200,000, according to various reports.

4. He is a former technical officer with the CIA, according to the Guardian. He also previously worked with Dell Inc.

5. He told the Washington Post that he does not have a high school diploma, but reports say he earned a GED.

6. He said he had “full access to the full rosters of everyone working at the NSA, the entire intelligence community, and undercover assets all around the world.”

7. According to the Atlantic, Snowden tried to join the U.S. Army Special Forces.

8. He didn’t vote for Obama in 2008. (He didn’t vote for John McCain either.) He told the Guardian he voted for a third party, but didn’t say which one.

9. According to Campaignmoney.com, an Edward Snowden donated $500 to Ron Paul’s presidential bid in 2012. Ron Paul is a staunch libertarian who lost the nomination of the Republican Party in favour of Mitt Romney.

10. Snowden is seeking asylum, ideally in Iceland, but is now staying in Hong Kong. He is hoping to avoid extradition to the United States. In an interview over the course of several days with The Guardian, he said: “I think it is really tragic that an American has to move to a place that has a reputation for less freedom. Still, Hong Kong has a reputation for freedom in spite of the People’s Republic of China. It has a strong tradition of free speech.”

Enough is enough. Last decade in washington has given us the patriot act, NDAA, Surveliance drones on american soil an estimated 10,000 of them will be in use by 2015 if congress approves. These are not small sacrifices for a greater good, this is the continuation of tyranny on americans, on american soil. If we do not draw the line in the sand and voice our opposition to this, what liberty's do we deserve?