10+ Year Old Account

In the market for a new computer chair

Hey guys, I've had my computer chair since about 2008, and my dad had it for two years before that. The padding on the seat is wearing out and I've been looking around for a new one. Here is the one I have currently, same chair but just a photo I found on the net. Mine is black.

My friend just got one from staples which has a mesh seat and back with a headrest. I like it, however I don't really want to spend $230 on it unless I can't find anything else I like.

I'm mainly looking for something with good support for my back and that is comfortable to sit in for several hours at a time.

Anyone have any suggestions on good office chairs? ~$200 budget, will consider more if it is worth it.
    Desktop: Antec Twelve-Hundred v3| ASUS VH236H | i5-3570k @ 4.5 | MSI 660ti PE | AsRock z77 Extreme4 | 16GB G.Skill 1866 | Havik 140 | Vertex 3 90gb Boot ssd | Kingston 240gb ssd | 620w Antec | Logitech G500, G510, G930
    Laptop: ASUS U36JC-B2B Tablet: HP Touchpad 16gb | Asus Infinity 32gb
    Camera: Canon EOS Rebel T3i with 18-55mm IS & 75-300mm
    Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...en/Cc/advanced

Cant give you specific suggestions for your budget, but what I can do is suggest you look at a computer chair as an investment and get a really good and expensive one so you dont have to buy a new one for many many years. If you spend a lot of time sitting in it, and you also say you want good back support, you should look at higher quality ergonimic chairs instead of "office supplies store" -chairs.

Last year, I spent quite a lot of money on my new chair, and it has all the support and settings in the world, and I havent looked back since. Granted, I had to save up for it, and I spent more than anyone I know would on a chair, but its something I know is good for my back, its comfortable and something I can have for the next +25 years.

So my advice is to look at much higher quality than you normally would. It pays off in the end

Quote Originally Posted by Masterec View Post
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00103102/

Iv had mine for 6 years now, flawless <3
    Boy dat looks purdy.
    Personally I would go with the Markus chair from Ikea. 10-year warranty and the base isn't mesh. Sitting on mesh is not fun if you plan on having the chair for very long and it sure as hell isn't as durable as a padded base. The Hyken looks a bit more "spit and polish" than actual function.

Personally I'm waiting until I find/build the right kind of desk then i'm going to be using a massive bean-bag as my chair seeing as most chairs are made for ~200-250lbs and i'm barely above that :\ .
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilbruz View Post
    Cant give you specific suggestions for your budget, but what I can do is suggest you look at a computer chair as an investment and get a really good and expensive one so you dont have to buy a new one for many many years. If you spend a lot of time sitting in it, and you also say you want good back support, you should look at higher quality ergonimic chairs instead of "office supplies store" -chairs.

Last year, I spent quite a lot of money on my new chair, and it has all the support and settings in the world, and I havent looked back since. Granted, I had to save up for it, and I spent more than anyone I know would on a chair, but its something I know is good for my back, its comfortable and something I can have for the next +25 years.

So my advice is to look at much higher quality than you normally would. It pays off in the end
    Well out of curiosity, how do you expect the padding to stay adequate over that kind of time, and what did you buy?

Quote Originally Posted by tielknight View Post
    Boy dat looks purdy.
    Personally I would go with the Markus chair from Ikea. 10-year warranty and the base isn't mesh. Sitting on mesh is not fun if you plan on having the chair for very long and it sure as hell isn't as durable as a padded base. The Hyken looks a bit more "spit and polish" than actual function.

Personally I'm waiting until I find/build the right kind of desk then i'm going to be using a massive bean-bag as my chair seeing as most chairs are made for ~200-250lbs and i'm barely above that :\ .
    Yeah I've never really put much thought into Ikea chairs, I have furniture from there though. I might have to go by there when I'm in that area and check them out. I think a bean bag chair would be awesome but it would be horrible for my back.
    Last edited by Wrestler10307; 2013-06-11 at 12:28 AM.
    Desktop: Antec Twelve-Hundred v3| ASUS VH236H | i5-3570k @ 4.5 | MSI 660ti PE | AsRock z77 Extreme4 | 16GB G.Skill 1866 | Havik 140 | Vertex 3 90gb Boot ssd | Kingston 240gb ssd | 620w Antec | Logitech G500, G510, G930
    Laptop: ASUS U36JC-B2B Tablet: HP Touchpad 16gb | Asus Infinity 32gb
    Camera: Canon EOS Rebel T3i with 18-55mm IS & 75-300mm
    Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...en/Cc/advanced

http://www.dxracer.net/ heard only good things about these chairs, they are also heavily used in the e-sport scene gonna buy one myself once i move and get some dough

Quote Originally Posted by voryon View Post
    http://www.dxracer.net/ heard only good things about these chairs, they are also heavily used in the e-sport scene gonna buy one myself once i move and get some dough
    Alot of flash, very little practical use IMO. That plus a meager 14-day money-back policy(compared to Ikea's 90-day) with a 2-year warranty(compared to the 10-year warranty)? Count me out.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

Quote Originally Posted by voryon View Post
    Just got mine in about 2 weeks ago, and love love love love it. Super supportive, high back and headrest, AMAZING quality, you just can't go wrong. While putting it together, absolutely everything is made from very high quality materials. I would be absolutely shocked if this thing doesn't last 10 years or more. Check out this link to see what I'm talking about...

http://www.needforseatusa.com/DXRACE...e_ep_49-1.html

The Emperor 200

Costs only 50k
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Quote Originally Posted by tielknight View Post
    Boy dat looks purdy.

I actually got the Markus chair a few years ago and after a couple of weeks of having it my back started to hurt. The worst part was Ikea would not take it back because it had already been assembled (even though I was still well within the return window), so I had to take the hit and sell it on craig's list for half of what I paid for it. The chair also sits really high even at the lowest setting so it didn't actually fit under my desk, and my keyboard was actually lower than the arm rests.
    Warlock Soloing & Progress | FC: 4141-3143-3405 | Metang, Mawile, and Klefki

In my opinion you should really go to a store and try some, sure reviews help but if you don't try it before buying it's risky!
    PS : I like the markus one , i tried it few months ago !

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lordsphinx View Post
    Just got mine in about 2 weeks ago, and love love love love it. Super supportive, high back and headrest, AMAZING quality, you just can't go wrong. While putting it together, absolutely everything is made from very high quality materials. I would be absolutely shocked if this thing doesn't last 10 years or more. Check out this link to see what I'm talking about...

http://www.needforseatusa.com/DXRACE...e_ep_49-1.html
    I went to the US version of the site and every single chair is sold out. Do they not sell to the US anymore? http://www.dxracer.us/cat1_dxracer-chairs.html

Nevermind, Apparently the link you listed is different. They may have changed websites
    Last edited by Orlong; 2013-06-11 at 06:53 PM.