Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

[Movies] Thoughts on the new movie "The Purge"

The movie in itself was bad in quality on storytelling, but it's setting made me think.

For those that don't know, the film takes place in a future America where crime is at an all time low and unemployment is at 1 percent (there actually was a decent explanation to why that is). The catch? For one night every year, all crime, including murder, is legal.

Three main questions that came to mind while watching this:

1. If allowing evil deeds for one night actually reduced crime all year long substantially, would it be an ethical thing to do?
    2. What kind of social divisons would this create? (Obviously those who have the money to protect themselves would be able to while lower class people would be screwed.)
    3. If something like this were ever implemented for real, what would actually happen? (Obviously wouldn't create a damn near perfect society like the movie suggested)

What do you guys think?

10+ Year Old Account
    i think mental health institutions would account for a good amount more of the number of available jobs
    just read the description on wiki and it sounds like a solid movie
    Last edited by Tierbook; 2013-06-10 at 04:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    i think mental health institutions would account for a good amount more of the number of available jobs
    Or home security systems.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm fairly certain that the implications of this would go well beyond national boundaries or the 24 hours allowed. Someone or a group of people who have direct access to a bunch of nukes can say 'fuck you, Canada' and go all willy nilly with their payload or some hippy dumbasses could drive bus full of explosives in to a nuclear power plants and make North America glow in the dark for a while.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

10+ Year Old Account
    1. No, it isn't ethical to indulge people's crazy murderous fantasies who are only kept in line by the law. people intent on committing crimes will do so anyway, and from what ive read, taught, and experienced, committing crime can desensitize you to it, making it more likely to do so again. (Unless you're like me, and have a huge guilt complex)

2.This would mean the rich would be much more likely to survive than the poor, which could cause labor problems in the future.

3. With a good chunk of America having guns, a good amount of people would end up dead, possibly more than the murder / manslaughter rate without a "Purge"

10+ Year Old Account
    No, it isn't ethical to indulge people's crazy murderous fantasies who are only kept in line by the law. people intent on committing crimes will do so anyway, and from what ive read, taught, and experienced, committing crime can desensitize you to it, making it more likely to do so again. (Unless you're like me, and have a huge guilt complex)
    Even if that one night where people are allowed to do this are unlikely to do it for the rest of the year (like the movie implies) If it contributed to an overall reduction of death and suffering yearly, would it still be unethical?

This would mean the rich would be much more likely to survive than the poor, which could cause labor problems in the future.
    This is how it is explained in the movie. Since people that lack economic beneifts are the most likely to get killed, it eliminates strain on the economy and reduces unemployment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustweaver View Post
    I'm fairly certain that the implications of this would go well beyond national boundaries or the 24 hours allowed. Someone or a group of people who have direct access to a bunch of nukes can say 'fuck you, Canada' and go all willy nilly with their payload or some hippy dumbasses could drive bus full of explosives in to a nuclear power plants and make North America glow in the dark for a while.
    according to wiki only lvl 4 weapons and down are allowed... now i have no idea what that means exactly but i have a feeling that nukes are higher than class 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

movie sucked, and the idea is insane, anybody who thinks for a second it could be a good idea should probably be locked up.
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigzoman20 View Post
    Even if that one night where people are allowed to do this are unlikely to do it for the rest of the year (like the movie implies) If it contributed to an overall reduction of death and suffering yearly, would it still be unethical?

This is how it is explained in the movie. Since people that lack economic beneifts are the most likely to get killed, it eliminates strain on the economy and reduces unemployment.
    Yes it would be unethical, especially if the number of deaths would otherwise outnumber unnatural deaths without the purge. Those that truly are law abiding wouldn't participate anyways, and those that do it only because its allowed that one night could very well do it again on a non purge night due to desensitization.

Terrible premise for a film, definitely won't see it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thinking this is a good idea really needs to look in a mirror and think about the consequences. It's stupid.

I utterly despise the concept of something like a "purge" that is displayed in the movie, and I won't be seeing the movie.
    Did the Great Jedi Purge bother you?
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    I have not and will not be seeing the movie. That said, the premise is bologna that any five year old could figure out is pure foolishness with a few seconds of rational thought.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

10+ Year Old Account
    No.

The movie assumes that humans are naturally violent and bloodthirsty, and also assumes that there is no innate moral code.

Wrong on both accounts. Distorted view of reality intended to justify governmental and religious control of a populace.

Dislike.

10+ Year Old Account
    They haven't had a good dystopian future movie since V for Vendetta. Before that, they hadn't had a good idea for a dystopian future since Orwell and Huxley passed away.

It looks like an awesome movie. I love the idea of it also and wish it was a government policy.

WTB waterworld future
    Bane

10+ Year Old Account
    So most people are in unison with thinking it's a terrible idea? Good.

still was an interesting concept when i first heard about it. The movie failed to deliver though.

---------- Post added 2013-06-10 at 05:00 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    They haven't had a good dystopian future movie since V for Vendetta. Before that, they hadn't had a good idea for a dystopian future since Orwell and Huxley passed away.
    Meh, V for Vendetta is overrated. Hunger Games series did an awesome job. Can't see how you ruled that out.
    Last edited by THE Bigzoman; 2013-06-10 at 05:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    No.

The movie assumes that humans are naturally violent and bloodthirsty, and also assumes that there is no innate moral code.

Wrong on both accounts. Distorted view of reality intended to justify governmental and religious control of a populace.

Dislike.
    I feel like you picked up a thesaurus just to use words that sound impressive so you'd sound better with this. Shame that you're so very wrong, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did the Great Jedi Purge bother you?
    No. But the purge during ff13 made me cry.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakaji View Post
    I feel like you picked up a thesaurus just to use words that sound impressive so you'd sound better with this. Shame that you're so very wrong, though.
    Naturally violent and bloodthirsty....right. They aren't and Quetzl isn't the one to do that.

No. But the purge during ff13 made me cry.
    Never played FF13 >_<

However....I have to add GJP(Great Jedi Purge) was pretty sad. No I didn't like.....

OT: I won't be surprised if this movie disappears and is never heard from again. Then again if it wins an oscar in the future...I'll weep for Hollywood.
    Last edited by Aeluron Lightsong; 2013-06-10 at 05:06 AM.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi