Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    None of which can only be made in the USA. All of which will move overnight somewhere else and not miss a beat.
    The kind of stuff that America produces cannot simply be moved to a new place over night. Not if you want quality construction.
    For the Alliance, and for Azeroth!

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    China is on track to be what Japan was in the 90s.
    Deflationary?
    That'd be hard to imagine, at this point. I can see a reduction in growth rate, but even to get to a recessionary point would be extreme right now, unless they have some major upheaval.

---------- Post added 2013-06-22 at 03:36 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    two words: the Cold War
    ... the economies of China and US are so intertwined that we've likely successfully averted Cold War II...
    No, son, it's just beginning.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Gee how apathetic you are about us. Did some American insult you or hurt your feelings to act this?
    I don't think he's being apathetic towards Americans, just to strange belief some of you yanks have, that your essential to the running of the world, and that if you go down, you'll take everyone else with you. The old world survived worse storms before the US came along, and I'm sure we'll continue to weather them when your gone. From what I've seen though that fact seems to insult Americans who still like to think there top dog and love to remind everyone that for about half a century they were the top dogs on a world scale.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Gee how apathetic you are about us. Did some American insult you or hurt your feelings to act this?
    not apathetic i dont think, it's just the world doesnt revolve around the usa

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gcsmith View Post
    The kind of stuff that America produces cannot simply be moved to a new place over night. Not if you want quality construction.
    Considering all the factories overseas that are leaking, exploding, burning, collapsing or otherwise little more than four sticks with some leaves on top, I don't think "quality construction" is high on anyone's list.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    None of which can only be made in the USA. All of which will move overnight somewhere else and not miss a beat.
    u wot m8? It took decades to built the infrastructure required to build the jets, super-computers, and bombs that we make today. What's more, those aren't something you can pay Chinese farmers to make. They require highly educated workers with knowledge of advanced robotics.

If the USA vanished from the face of the Earth today, the manufacturing gap likely wouldn't be filled by the end of the century. You can't just walk into a sweat-shop and say "build me a 21st century aircraft carrier!" It takes years of preparation and billions of dollars in investment. We spent the entire 20th century creating this economy. You can't replicate it in a decade, let alone a day.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    u wot m8? It took decades to built the infrastructure required to build the jets, super-computers, and bombs that we make today. What's more, those aren't something you can pay Chinese farmers to make. They require highly educated workers with knowledge of advanced robotics.

If the USA vanished from the face of the Earth today, the manufacturing gap likely wouldn't be filled by the end of the century. You can't just walk into a sweat-shop and say "build me a 21st century aircraft carrier!" It takes years of preparation and billions of dollars in investment. We spent the entire 20th century creating this economy. You can't replicate it in a decade, let alone a day.
    i think you'll find china already builds aircraft carriers, so your argument is already out of date.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by twistedsista View Post
    i think you'll find china already builds aircraft carriers, so your argument is already out of date.
    Now what on Earth gave you that idea?

They've refurbished a diesel-powered Russian piece of shit from the 60s. And only one of them. If that's your idea of a 21st century carrier, then do you think American carriers are from the distant future?

Deleted
    Now what on Earth gave you that idea?

They've refurbished a diesel-powered Russian piece of shit from the 60s. And only one of them. If that's your idea of a 21st century carrier, then do you think American carriers are from the distant future?
    ok, that may be true. but they are the verge of building a 2nd, larger aircraft carrier.
    again, the world is moving forward & is no longer interested in what the us does or doesnt do anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    ok, that may be true. but they are the verge of building a 2nd, larger aircraft carrier.
    again, the world is moving forward & is no longer interested in what the us does or doesnt do anymore.
    But reality doesn't line up with that statement. We're almost dead-even with china for manufacturing, the difference being that they're making pens while we make advanced electronics. US companies are the primary driving force for technological advancement. We're sitting on the largest economy on Earth which exports multiple trillions of dollars in goods and services every year. Do you think we're just shooting it off into space (another market which the US dominates)? Obviously somebody badly wants what we make. And don't get me started on our weapons systems. If you aren't buying American, you're buying Russian. And only poor countries buy Russian.

edit: also, get back to me when China has 14 nuclear-powered aircraft carriers.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    For their people I hope not, because then they'll have to work 32 hours a day and actually pay for it.

10+ Year Old Account

of g

not apathetic i dont think, it's just the world doesnt revolve around the usa
    Lol. That was 10 years ago mate. By 2020 the fucking US will be the biggest exporter of oil and maybe of gas. Manufacturing in the US is coming back (was never actually gone lulz). The world does revolve around the US indeed.

I'm quite sure the world will get along just fine without the ability to build super carriers not to mention that AFAIK GB is currently building a couple of those.

Also, muchy of the high tech manufacturing you talk about is also being done all over the world, super computers? the chips are as likely to be from China, Japan, Maylasia or Germany as they are to be from the US. Jets? the US has an edge on military jets sure but no one is going to die from ther world losing that edge and when it comes to civilian jets Airbus is up there with Boeing.

Yea a US crash would impact the world heavily but you're fooling yourself if you think mankind will go extinct because of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Neufab View Post
    Yea a US crash would impact the world heavily but you're fooling yourself if you think mankind will go extinct because of it.
    Frankly I only remember saying that there would be a large manufacturing gap. But I'm going to sit here and wait for you to find the exact spot in the thread where I mentioned any sort of extinction. That, or an admission that you're trying to misquote me (when speaking to me, of all things) in a medium where everything we've said is electronically stored for public viewing.

Frankly I only remember saying that there would be a large manufacturing gap. But I'm going to sit here and wait for you to find the exact spot in the thread where I mentioned any sort of extinction. That, or an admission that you're trying to misquote me (when speaking to me, of all things) in a medium where everything we've said is electronically stored for public viewing.
    No you didn't say that, Tierbook did, but I didn't find it necessary to quote him since 90% of my post was a rebuttal of your manufacturing claims..all of which you ignored in your reply.

10+ Year Old Account
    No you didn't say that, Tierbook did, but I didn't find it necessary to quote him since 90% of my post was a rebuttal of your manufacturing claims..all of which you ignored in your reply.
    He is right, you just don't move a factory overnight. And don't forget the research, Europe certainly wouldn't fill that gap. Lol Europe.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by larrakeyah View Post
    Lol. That was 10 years ago mate. By 2020 the fucking US will be the biggest exporter of oil and maybe of gas. Manufacturing in the US is coming back (was never actually gone lulz). The world does revolve around the US indeed.
    strewth mate, there's no need to use profanities in your argument.
    on topic. no, the world doesnt revolve around the us.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, if I have to bring it up again...

The US exported over $2 trillion in products last year. That doesn't even include services. So if the world doesn't need US manufacturing, then who the hell is buying all of that? Mars?

10+ Year Old Account
    strewth mate, there's no need to use profanities in your argument.
    on topic. no, the world doesnt revolve around the us.
    Most of the data and projections prove that the world does revolve around the US. Kate Upton bro.

Just a SLIGHT conspiracy theory.... perhaps the global recession was rather manufactured to keep China in it's place. It's a MASSSSSSSIIIIVEE exporter and requires those exports to power it's economy. If the average guy doesn't have spare cash to buy some random cheap electronics (or whatever) from China their exports falter and they are pulled "back in line" a little?
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.