Question on Sata ports? for a SSD

So yesterday I got my first SSD, Samsung 840, 250. plugged it into I think the 3gb/s port as for it was the easiest for me to plug it into without moving stuff around.

So far its a lot faster forsure than my previous HDD, but I am just curious if its actually worth it to putt it into my 6gb/s port? (not sure if this makes it load stuff faster or is it just strictly for transferring large files?)

Also does the Sata cord that's connected to the Mobo to SSD matter? I am not sure what cord I got exactly, but I am fairly sure its just basic cord you probably will be able to find for a few bucks, if not lower.

Deleted
    Yes it *should* to go into a SATA 3 (6Gbps) port, otherwise you're greatly throttling the capability of the drive.

Edit/Add: I checked the specs, the drive is capable of pushing out up to 530MB/sec sequential read. Best case for SATA 2 is roughly 300MB/sec so you're potentially throttling it down in sequential read by about 40-45%. For WRITE performance this particular drive is only showing 240MB/sec so you wouldn't be limited by the SATA 2 interface for sequential writes. For Random I/O you probably won't notice all that much difference. I'd personally put it in a SATA 3 (6Gbps) port to get the maximum from the drive.
    Last edited by mmocabe77c30e6; 2013-06-10 at 03:15 PM.

You are forcing the SSD to run at 50% of what its capable by putting it into a SATA 2, of course its already much faster than any HDD but it can be faster.

Quote Originally Posted by c313 View Post
    So far its a lot faster forsure than my previous HDD, but I am just curious if its actually worth it to putt it into my 6gb/s port? (not sure if this makes it load stuff faster or is it just strictly for transferring large files?)
    Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    You are forcing the SSD to run at 50% of what its capable by putting it into a SATA 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Zatie12 View Post
    Yes it *should* to go into a SATA 3 (6Gbps) port, otherwise you're greatly throttling the capability of the drive.
    SATA2 vs SATA3 makes very little diference for small files or things like starting windows or loading WoW. You get already 95% of SSDs benefit in SATA2 port. SATA3 will be much faster when you're transferring large files, but only when you're moving those between two SSD drives or from RAID to SSD. No HDD has high enough read speed to let you copy files off from HDD into SSD and reach even half of SATA2 speed.

Also does the Sata cord that's connected to the Mobo to SSD matter?
    Nope, the cables dont make any difference. More expensive cables just have mechanically better connectors.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    SATA2 vs SATA3 makes very little diference for small files or things like starting windows or loading WoW. You get already 95% of SSDs benefit in SATA2 port. SATA3 will be much faster when you're transferring large files, but only when you're moving those between two SSD drives or from RAID to SSD. No HDD has high enough read speed to let you copy files off from HDD into SSD and reach even half of SATA2 speed.
    While this is true, you have a SATA 3 port, so you might aswell plug it into that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also does the Sata cord that's connected to the Mobo to SSD matter? I am not sure what cord I got exactly, but I am fairly sure its just basic cord you probably will be able to find for a few bucks, if not lower.
    In terms of speed, no, the cable is irrelevant.

As long as it has a locking connector (looks like this), a SATA cable is a SATA cable. If it doesn't have a lock, I'd recommend getting one that does. The old non-locking connectors had an annoying tendency to come loose.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Killora View Post
    While this is true, you have a SATA 3 port, so you might aswell plug it into that.
    Definitely. Especially since it doesn't require any changes to existing Windows installation. Just need to change boot priority from BIOS/UEFI to match the changed SATA ports on the motherboard.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Would tend to agree, plug it in the SATA 3 port if it's easy to do so and doesn't cause any hassle.
    Last edited by mmocabe77c30e6; 2013-06-10 at 07:55 PM.