PVP - my inability to escape from a fight

May be fellow hunters have a trick that I can use in situations like this.

I find it hard to impossible to run away from a fight. On any of my alts if I get over numbered I just get away from the fight using whatever speed abilities I have, mount and avoid a certain death. But, I am not being able to do that on my hunter anymore. The reason being that my pet stays in combat.

I run far away from the fight and try to mount but it says I am in combat. I check I am not but it does not let me mount. I feign death and try to mount again but I can't. They finally catch up with me and kill me.

The problem is that they have my pet and that keeps me in combat. I can't take him with me. What are my options?

1. Dismiss pet before getting away. No. The whole point is to run away immediately. Not even det and dismiss. It's not practical.

2. Dismiss after getting away. Pet is out of range.

3. Make pet follow and run. He's too slow to keep up with me and they slow him when they can't slow me.

4. Make pet passive and run. Same as 3.

5. Get so far away that pet is dismissed itself. Apparently they increased the range of pets staying active but not of receiving commands. The pet does not dismiss itself as it used to before if we got too far which is the reason why I never had this problem until now.

Any ideas? Or what do you guys do?

Deleted
    1.click pet passive
    2.dissengage
    3.FD
    4.Mount
    5. Proffit

Deleted
    Feign Death drops you out of combat. Also shadowmeld does if you're night elf.

So are you guys saying you getting out of combat is enough for you?

If your pet is still in combat it does not matter?

Cus that's not what I have observed.

10+ Year Old Account
    If your pet is attacking you will still be in combat. thats why u put it on passive so it doesnt engage you should drop combat with FD after that.

Deleted
    again.. CLICK PET "PASSIVE" button.
    THEN you click FD.. gz your not in combat.
    Seriously... how can you do 90 levels and not manage to know something simple like this !??!?

If I ever design an MMO (hmm...), one of the features the game will NOT have is running away once you engage. It's a failed concept, and the opposite what people signed up for.

As a hunter, glyphed explosive trap, crane, FD, disengage, crocodile snap...

Open your spell book, hunters are practically utility gods. Disengage, scatter shot them, freezing trap or ice trap, recall your pet, camouflague, aspect. Run sideways with Deterrence, nobody should be able to catch you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tenzing21 View Post
    If I ever design an MMO (hmm...), one of the features the game will NOT have is running away once you engage. It's a failed concept, and the opposite what people signed up for.

As a hunter, glyphed explosive trap, crane, FD, disengage, crocodile snap...
    So you're saying stealthed classes should have an even easier time in pvp?