Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Congratulations, OP. You have succeeded into making yourself look weak.

Burning bridges doesn't have any benefit, except for a short term relief of venting out frustrations. The world is smaller than you think, and words travel faster than the speed of light. Imagine you'd get your dream job, but the boss from that dream job happens to know your old boss and hold him in good standings. If your name gets thrown in one of their conversations, you can kiss that dream job goodbye. Just because you wanted to "be a rebel"... because y'know, rebellion is "soooo cooooool"!

And even if the new boss wouldn't know the old boss. If your new boss hears that you threw that sort of a tantrum, his very first thought will be "If he pulled that shit with someone else, he's capable of pulling it with me. I'm not dealing with that!", and you'll be set aside from the start.

While the "employee standing to the oh-so-eviiiiiiiiil boss" looks cool... in the eyes of lazy bums, all it really shows is that you have an attitude problem. And that somehow tips me as to what could've been the real cause of the firing.

And given the fact that you're capable of lashing out at people in a split-second, I won't bother saying "no offense".
    It's time to level up and quit your newbie ways
    You need to go outside and get some new V-rays
    A fresh breath of air will help you talk again
    Inhale, exhale, feel the Oxygen
    - Woodman

Quote Originally Posted by MuskiER View Post
    Still want to know why you got fired
    You really can't tell that by yourself?

Sorry OP, but posting that here won't fetch any sympathy...

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Only really partially correct. Truth is a defense against verifiable statements, like "He didn't show up X days" etc. Truth is not a defense for unprovable opinions, like "He is a bad worker" and "He has a bad attitude". There are other defenses available, though.
    Most companies regardless of state and several states will only allow you to verify time worked. This insures their hands are clean of anything to do with ppl that no longer work for them.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Deleted
    im going to go against the grain here somewhat & say good on ya.
    some bosses really do need to be told they're the scum of the earth. ok, the consequences of such actions may have negative effect in future job applications, but bravo for having the balls/guts for telling your ex boss exactly how it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    Well done.
    Your last 5 years of employment down the tubes without a decent reference to show for it.
    You sure told him!
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Well, I suppose if you're going to burn a bridge, you may as well use lots of gas and make a really impressive fire that everyone will see for miles around.
    Exactly. NEVER burn a bridge, unless it's fucking awesome.

15+ Year Old Account
    EVERYBODY in this thread is missing the point here.

Was the wife hot?
    "If I recall correctly I just posted that this topic is not to be discussed any further." -Ensidia Fanclub Founder

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Layuth View Post
    EVERYBODY in this thread is missing the point here.

Was the wife hot?
    Depends on the size of the company he was working for, I'd say.
    - Woodman

10+ Year Old Account
    The last (and only) time I was ever laid off, I sent a nice message back to the guy laying me off and all the people I'd worked for in the company thanking them for the opportunity to work at the Company and wishing them all the best for the future. I was re-hired and promoted within 3 days.
    Last edited by Reeve; 2013-06-11 at 03:31 PM.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    Well done on making their firing of you seem even more justified. Also a great way to make sure the best they do if contacted by a future employer is verify your time worked and nothing else. Oh you were #1 in sales, can't verify that, your hard work carried the company, can't verify that either. As an employer when you talk to previous companies and all they give is the dates worked and nothing else warning bells go off. Best of luck on the job hunt.
    Legally, you are only allowed to provide date of hire, date of termination/resignation and whether it was termination or resignation. Anything beyond this is personal rhetoric and even if it's good can still be damaging to a company in the long run. Almost any HR director worth their salt will never give anything beyond the date of hire, date of termination. More lawsuits out there then you can shake a stick at. So while OP didn't have to go the route he did, it's hardly detrimental to his future employment unless the previous employer is intent on a lawsuit. You'd be surprised however at the sheer magnitude of bad HR departments out there. Cases like the OP are sometimes even watched as lawsuit bait, the worse you act when you leave the more guarded the company gets because they know you are trying to get a rise out of someone too stupid to know better.

Deleted
    According to his profile he's a hat salesman... Why does this thread smell funny to me?

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    The last (and only) time I was ever laid off, I sent a nice message back to the guy laying me off and all the people I'd worked for in the company thanking them for the opportunity to work at APERTURE INDUSTRIES and wishing them all the best for the future. I was re-hired and promoted within 3 days.
    So there was no spectacular flaming bridge crashing down into the murky water below? That's utterly disappointing.

I've never been fired or laid off. But I think you had the right idea. Leave on good terms.
    EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Felir View Post
    According to his profile he's a hat salesman... Why does this thread smell funny to me?
    My profile now says I'm a LOLLERSKATE SALESMAN.

So everything I've previously posted on here is invalid apparently. Even the stuff that can be verified as fact.
    Last edited by Gheld; 2013-06-11 at 03:36 PM.

The fact that he had worked there for 5 years will work in his favor, and make his firing look somewhat suspicious. If he hadnt been fired in those 5 years for having a negative attitude then people may know to not give his former boss a whole lot of credibility. Employers are aware that there are some unscrupulous bosses out there.

Quote Originally Posted by marthsk View Post
    Congratulations, OP. You have succeeded into making yourself look weak.

Burning bridges doesn't have any benefit, except for a short term relief of venting out frustrations. The world is smaller than you think, and words travel faster than the speed of light. Imagine you'd get your dream job, but the boss from that dream job happens to know your old boss and hold him in good standings. If your name gets thrown in one of their conversations, you can kiss that dream job goodbye. Just because you wanted to "be a rebel"... because y'know, rebellion is "soooo cooooool"!

And even if the new boss wouldn't know the old boss. If your new boss hears that you threw that sort of a tantrum, his very first thought will be "If he pulled that shit with someone else, he's capable of pulling it with me. I'm not dealing with that!", and you'll be set aside from the start.

While the "employee standing to the oh-so-eviiiiiiiiil boss" looks cool... in the eyes of lazy bums, all it really shows is that you have an attitude problem. And that somehow tips me as to what could've been the real cause of the firing.

And given the fact that you're capable of lashing out at people in a split-second, I won't bother saying "no offense".

I'd disagree a bit and state that while television and anecdotal evidence tends to favor the idea that "connections" are how you get through the workforce it's more complicated then just being "cool" with the boss. Most successful companies are purely number driven and while it's cold and hurtful the pure fact is you are a number and your value is directly tied to your cost to the company in time, salary and benefits vs the amount of NET profit you generate for the company that is tracked back to your decisions or those under you. Hopefully the OP is good at his dream job.

Quote Originally Posted by xZANGEITIx View Post
    SO! I have just been fired from my job of 5 years. He sent it to me in a email. this is what I said to him in a Email ( ill sensor it)

Me: f**k you, you little pieces of s**t. I have been carrying that f***ing dealer ship for 5 Years. I had lead sales. Your only firing me to keep your d***che bag step son and so he can like you he has only sold 1 car and it was a f***ing smart car. also your wife's cheating on you with John.

Your former employee....

This is all true too. And I want you to tell me what you said or are going to say if this ever happens to you. Also this was my main source of income so I was pissed also on a hora bile day. do-sent mater anymore.. I'm already looking for jobs and might get one at H&R block.
    Nice! But you forgot to priority fed ex a turd which would be the coup de grace

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    The last (and only) time I was ever laid off, I sent a nice message back to the guy laying me off and all the people I'd worked for in the company thanking them for the opportunity to work at the Company and wishing them all the best for the future. I was re-hired and promoted within 3 days.
    But... but that means you're not a cool rebel! How can you be a model to people if you're not a cool rebel?!? Instead of destroying the wall, you chose to become one of its bricks! How utterly distasteful! I mean, nobody cares that you have to shelter and feed yourself, even less if you have to shelter and feed others, YOU'RE NOT A COOL REBEL LIKE OP! Nobody cares about essential needs if you're not going off against eeeeeeevil bosses.

I mean, being civil and professional? How weak!

</sarcasm>

---------- Post added 2013-06-11 at 11:39 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by chaotus View Post
    I'd disagree a bit and state that while television and anecdotal evidence tends to favor the idea that "connections" are how you get through the workforce it's more complicated then just being "cool" with the boss. Most successful companies are purely number driven and while it's cold and hurtful the pure fact is you are a number and your value is directly tied to your cost to the company in time, salary and benefits vs the amount of NET profit you generate for the company that is tracked back to your decisions or those under you. Hopefully the OP is good at his dream job.
    Dismissing anecdotal evidence, huh? So it doesn't matter if my story is different, it "didn't happen" because it happened to me?

Just because you work for a worldwide company doesn't mean everyone does. Different company sizes have different cultures. But I guess that's too anecdotal for you to even consider...
    Last edited by marthsk; 2013-06-11 at 03:41 PM.
    - Woodman

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    That's fucking nuts. Why did they lay you off in the first place?
    My "position had become redundant." Basically we didn't have any more project work on the slate in Africa at the time, and so they didn't need anyone with my position. I sent the email out to a broad audience, though, and one of the VPs at the corporate headquarters read it and knew I was a good guy, so he called me up instantly and told me to hang tight while he could find a place for me. His first idea was to recommend me to one of his friends who needed a guy working in Qatar, but I told him I wanted to work in the US for a while, and he came back 3 days later to tell me he was inventing a position for me in the Corporate Headquarters.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Firing by E-mail is douche bag move, however your reply makes me think theres two side to the story

But if there isn't you might of had some sort of case against him if you had concrete evidence about his step son, but sending a email like that, youve fucked yourself over

---------- Post added 2013-06-11 at 04:43 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ailerist View Post
    Nice! But you forgot to priority fed ex a turd which would be the coup de grace
    Your 12 with a paper round right?

Deleted
    Ignore these folk who say you have 'anger issues'. You got mad because you were unfairly canned.

Bravo I say on going out with a blaze of glory.

Good luck job-hunting also.

10+ Year Old Account
    well, looks like you can't count on him being a reference for your next job...
    dragonmaw - EU