Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

PS4 Gets Priced at $399, Launching in Q4

Sony's new console will be significantly cheaper than the Xbox One.

E3 is now well under way in California and last night, Sony took to the stage to talk about the next generation of PlayStation, the PS4. Though the company shared quite a bit of information with us at its event back in February, Sony also saved a lot of stuff for E3 (including the console itself!), so there was plenty to talk about yesterday.

Thanks to the event in February, we know that the console packs an eight-core 64-bit x86 Jaguar CPU from AMD; a GPU with a unified array of 18 compute units, collectively capable of generating 1.84 Teraflops of processing power; 8GB of RAM; 802.11n WiFi; Bluetooth 2.1; and USB 3.0. Thanks to additional information released since yesterday, we now know that it also boasts an upgradeable 500GB hard drive. What's more, Sony last night revealed how much we'll have to pay to get our hands on the console as well as other details about the software and games for the PS4.

During last night's keynote, Sony confirmed that the PS4 will be priced at $399 when it launches later this year. If you're in Europe, you can expect to pay €399. For your money, you'll get the console itself as well as a controller and USB, HDMI and power cables. If you want the PlayStation Eye camera, you'll have to fork out an extra $59. Another DualShock controller will cost $59.

No word on a release just yet, but Sony is still saying Holiday 2013 for the U.S. and Europe so we'll keep you posted on that one. In the meantime, Sony has already opened up pre-orders for the console for those desperate to ensure they snag one as soon as possible.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/PS4...ler,23038.html

Im more interested to see how games made for the PS4 will behave on AMD hardware when ported over to the PC. Will they behave faster than non ported games? We shall see.

Deleted
    Huh, they finally started shipping HDMI cables with new consoles. :P

They've totally hit back at XBox!

Lower price, no restrictions on pre-owned games ... XBox has really shot themselves in the foot here, compared to the PS4.

Deleted
    PS4 ofc, I only got my 360 for halo and Gears of war... bad investment now that I look back on it.

Deleted
    There is no chance Xbox will win this war, already lost it before it even started.

10+ Year Old Account
    $400 in America.
    $550 in Australia.

ILY OVERABUSED AUSTRALIAN PRICINGS!
    ugh.

I'll still be buying one, but not straight away.
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

I had little interest in the xbone to begin with because of the restrictions. Sony's presentation last night sold me on it completely. FF 15 and KH3 help
    Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 4527-7566-5852. PM if you add me.

better console with less restrictions and the better games, hard choice...

I don't understand why we have to pay € 399 (that is 530 USD atm) in Europe while the PS4 is only $ 399 in the US. US even gets Cloud support before anyone else...

Importing costs $ 130 nowadays? They don't have factories here?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilian View Post
    I don't understand why we have to pay € 399 (that is 530 USD atm) in Europe while the PS4 is only $ 399 in the US. US even gets Cloud support before anyone else...

Importing costs $ 130 nowadays? They don't have factories here?
    Because of higher taxes in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuthe View Post
    $400 in America.
    $550 in Australia.

ILY OVERABUSED AUSTRALIAN PRICINGS!
    ugh.

I'll still be buying one, but not straight away.
    Remember they're totally different currencies ...

Just because they share the same symbol, doesn't mean they have to have the same price. The Australian Dollar & United States Dollar have completely different conversion rates.

Deleted
    Prices will probably change as release comes closer. Can't really expect Microsoft to just sit there and be like "yeah ours is 100$ more expensive, but it doesn't matter".

I am sold based the price. DRM makes no difference for me--although I don't support it as a practice--because I normally keep my games and buy them new. But you can not beat that price. I still think that MS will do fine. I think a lot of non-gamers will be drawn to their product.

looks like Sony is picking up the ball and running towards the endzone where microsoft have badly fumbled

Microsoft really have blown there leg off

So it looks like its PS4 all the way for me

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Xbox One is on sale in November (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22848625), so I'd assume PS4 will go head to head with it this time. Or at least come out sometime before Christmas, unless Sony are mental.

A bit more about the PS4 launch: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22850409

You get a kinect with the Xbox One, so I guess that's their reasoning for the higher price. I'm not really bothered about price or the second hand games thing either way though. I thought the Xbox One looked (design wise) pretty bad, but the PS4 isn't much better! Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Vathdar View Post
    Because of higher taxes in Europe.
    I don't think I am paying that much more taxes than people in the US on a product.

We, in the Netherlands, pay 21% taxes on producst like consoles. In the US you pay 9%? I guess they conveniently didn't change the numbers...

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    Remember they're totally different currencies ...

Just because they share the same symbol, doesn't mean they have to have the same price. The Australian Dollar & United States Dollar have completely different conversion rates.
    They're off by 7 cents.

It's not an issue of the currency, but of how the Australian Gov handles the sale of games and consoles there.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    They've totally hit back at XBox!

Lower price, no restrictions on pre-owned games ... XBox has really shot themselves in the foot here, compared to the PS4.
    The price is actually identical. In the following sense :

PS4 does not come with a wireless controller, xbox does, if you want it for ps4 you'll have to buy it for 59 usd. It doesn't come with PS move either (which I get why because that thing just flopped horribly, whereas kinnect is still gaining momentum). Add that together and you are pretty close to the xbox one price. I'm pretty sure the xbox one, just like in the past will come with a 50-100 usd cash back option and 2-3 games for free.

Not to mention 2 free games a month, that's 24 games per year, which is easily valued at 1000 usd. So basically you earn back the xbox one cost in 6 months. As for PS4 you won't earn it back at any point, not that it's important, but for unfortunate people it is.

About the DRM issue, people seem to be naive about it, it's only a matter of time before the PS4 has it as-well, using it as a selling point over Microsoft from their side is retarded as the negotiations with the game publishers haven't even started yet, and they are the big driving point behind all this, they want you to pay them for lending or using a game you didn't personally buy.

The only thing I dislike is the you have to be online once every 24 hours about xbox one, but then again I live in a developed country, and I'll always have an internet connection somewhere, whether it's via tethering, WiFi or Ethernet. So I don't even get why people cry about this, if you don't live in Africa, you should be fine (no offence meant).

I think it will be a tight race, although I expect Xbox to win over time, as it has a bigger audience it's aiming at, and will be perfect for family with younger kids/adults where they can buy a slightly more expensive console and get free games, it will definitely appeal less fortunate families/gamers more despite the higher purchase price.

Still not decided what to buy though, 24 free games is very tempting.
    Last edited by mmoc19ee780deb; 2013-06-11 at 01:18 PM.

Deleted
    THE US PRICE DOES NOT INCLUDE SALES TAX, WHICH VARIES BY STATE.

The UK price includes VAT, so when sales tax is applied the prices will be much more similar.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hikashuri View Post

Not to mention 2 free games a month, that's 24 games per year, which is easily valued at 1000 usd. So basically you earn back the xbox one cost in 6 months. As for PS4 you won't earn it back at any point, not that it's important, but for unfortunate people it is.
    The PSN or whatever is called is exactly the same, some free games a month for 5 dollars, + you don't have to buy it if you're not interested in that and can still use netflix on it and stuff.