Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    The same goes for a B2P MMO, what is really your most valuable customers? The guy running around every second map doing as many events as possible and making the world an interesting place to be or the person who spent an extra $10 on the gem store.
    Someone who does both!

I have an engineer at 100% world completion and a warrior at 71% world completion. I have also spent the equivalent of 2 or more GW2 collectors editions in the gem store buying gems since the game has released, all using actual money and not the conversion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kuruptz View Post
    I have bought gems thru the gemstore between launch and june 9 but i havent got any mail :/
    They had said they were going to be sending them out in waves so their mailing system doesn't freak out from the large amount of mails it'd need to send.
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

I was like Oh nice, cool, thanks. Not using those minis (not a pet whore in games), wish I could gift/sell them off .
    Was a really nice thank you, felt nice. Doesnt matter I dont have any use for them. Thumbs up for Anet.

10+ Year Old Account
    ANet comes through again for it's customers with free kites!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBXdT...ature=youtu.be

I swear I feel spoiled
    Valar morghulis

I swear I feel spoiled
    Um what? The kites do look good but they don't do anything... it'll end up just like all minis and town clothing.

In your bank.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Um what? The kites do look good but they don't do anything... it'll end up just like all minis and town clothing.

In your bank.
    In your bank maybe

You can put your guild emblem on the kite, they will be all over WvW by the end of the week! (better than the back banners)
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    In your bank.
    That would be accurate for like 90% of the items in the game. Most of the game is concerned with fluff. But the somewhat smarmy manner in which Anet are pushing baubles has raised an eyebrow or two from me.

You can put your guild emblem on the kite, they will be all over WvW by the end of the week! (better than the back banners)
    To bad you can't use the kites in combat unlike the back banners.

Like I said it's novelty will wear off in 2 days and everyone will stash it in their banks. If they actually did something or attach to your clothing...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    That would be accurate for like 90% of the items in the game. Most of the game is concerned with fluff. But the somewhat smarmy manner in which Anet are pushing baubles has raised an eyebrow or two from me.
    That's an odd statement. 90% of the stuff in my bank is dungeon tokens, fractal relics, gear, weapons, buff foods and various potions of [monster] slaying.

Oh and mats. Lots and lots of mats. Oh and I also save my karma bottles there for when my guild does it's bi-monthly karma event
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    That's an odd statement.
    Not sure what makes it odd. Most of that stuff mentioned is meaningless to gameplay. There is an obvious push to have a lot of fluff & collection work in the game. Little of which is effecting or propelled by gameplay.

Tonics, kites, weapon skins, backpacks, town clothes, tokens and so forth. All of this is designed to take up bank space rather purposefully. Because they sell bank space at a premium for gems.

It is in Anet's best interest to not have like a currencies tab, for example. Or to market things such as kites, ocarinas and assorted baubles of baubling w/ loading players tonics, buff pots, intermediary crafting materials which can't be deposited, etc.

A smart method of business for sure. Though, somewhat smarmy.

10+ Year Old Account
    What makes it odd is that 90% number. Most of the items in my bank are integral to gameplay.

As far as the pushing bank tab purchase conspiracy, I bought all my bank tabs with ingame gold (as I'm sure most people did) and in fact, that's how I bought my bank tabs in WoW. I collected the same kinds of things when I played WoW (gear, weapons, buff items) and at one point I was trying to get all the transformation type objects in that game too.

I think you are just allergic to fun, Fencers
    http://imgur.com/a/rS6PJ

And how does allowing items to stack to 250 plus giving us 318 free mat collectible slots (that right there holds up to 79,500 items if anyone is counting) on top of our free bank tab jive with "smarmy"? Or how the free PvP locker stores all your pvp gear. Or how the new Zenith weapons are stored on the achievement panel much like HoM skins?
    Last edited by Karizee; 2013-07-16 at 03:16 AM.
    Valar morghulis

What makes it odd is that 90% number. Most of the items in my bank are integral to gameplay.
    How?

You can only carry a finite number of weapons. Depending on profession, one might only ever have like 1 to 3 weapons ever on a single character profession.

Gear has an absolute ceiling- so all tokens or gear post-acquisition of a final gear set are essentially clutter. And even then the tokens themselves don't serve any gameplay function to the acquisition of gear.

Like for example. Tokens in a game like WoW are only there to keep you grinding for +1s. They extend the process that is the core of the entire game: to progress a series of stats. That's all WoW is about- keeping those numbers ticking up.

Why does GW2 even use tokens though? It's rather unnecessary and doesn't serve any gameplay function I know of in the game. Because you don't have to grind away infinitely for +1s in GW2. The core gameplay is not a spreadsheet and set of die in the background (EQ). Etc.

I suppose you are right about the food buffs and slaying tonics. Those do have a gameplay function- though narrow. That is to say, one would have to carry a Grawl, Undead and Wurm slaying potions to have preparedness for all the possible baddies you face. All which occupy a discrete bank slot each. Of course we need extra slots for our regen food, MF food, +1% xp food, those jalapeno poppers, etc.

I bought all my bank tabs with ingame gold
    Someone had to buy gems for real money first to sell to other players for gold.

Anet having an interest in keeping gem bought goods/services desirable is not the same as saying one has to pay real money to get those things. The "I bought it with gold!" statement isn't really useful or counterpoint to my posts above.

The post isn't saying it is an unfair system by any means. I am saying it is an calculated system, however.

I don't have much interest in video games as a form of entertainment, honestly. Only the matters of why & how vgs function and are designed is of interest to me.

And how does allowing items to stack to 250 plus giving us 318 free mat collectible slots (that right there holds up to 79,500 items if anyone is counting) on top of our free bank tab jive with "smarmy"?
    Because they could stack to infinity? Because there are many items which can not be deposited as crafting materials that have no gameplay function? Because Anet are keen to release ever more baubles and fluff items?

Is there one patch since their new development cycle in which new CS items, fluff and collectable baubles are not in tow? I don't think there is- serious question. I am sure you would know if not.

What new thing are we collecting in this Market of the Four Winds event that will occupy bank space or fuel transfiguration stone purchase? What new helm/weapon/backpack skin are we carving pumpkins or jumping on rocks for this week?

Fairly smarmy stuff.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-07-16 at 03:41 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    How?

You can only carry a finite number of weapons. Depending on profession, one might only ever have like 1 to 3 weapons ever on a single character profession.
    Am I the only one that has EVERY weapon your character can use in the inventory, even when I use a maximum of 7?

I don't have much interest in video games as a form of entertainment, honestly. Only the matters of why & how vgs function and are designed is of interest to me.
    Fencers this sounds incredibly weird... like... some sort of Asperger. Take no offense please, but I'm often confused by things you say.
    What exactly are VGS functions, and isn't that interest some kind of entertainment, too?
    Sing like no one is listening - Love like you've never been hurt
    Dance like no one is watching - Masturbate like no one else is on the bus

Not sure what makes it odd. Most of that stuff mentioned is meaningless to gameplay. There is an obvious push to have a lot of fluff & collection work in the game. Little of which is effecting or propelled by gameplay.

Tonics, kites, weapon skins, backpacks, town clothes, tokens and so forth. All of this is designed to take up bank space rather purposefully. Because they sell bank space at a premium for gems.

It is in Anet's best interest to not have like a currencies tab, for example. Or to market things such as kites, ocarinas and assorted baubles of baubling w/ loading players tonics, buff pots, intermediary crafting materials which can't be deposited, etc.

A smart method of business for sure. Though, somewhat smarmy.
    ANet's spoken about looking into a currencies tab.

Really, if these things are as meaningless as you say then they can be deleted at little loss, causing minimal impact on bank space. Most people's bankspace is tied up with boosters and dungeon tokens. When people get their free boxes of fun, they just use them. When I run out of bank space, I toss tonics. It's no biggie.

You seem to miss the socialization aspect of gameplay in MMOs. People are gathering around flute players and making kite scenes with tonics and transformations. It's just part of a social gathering tool and social expression.

I was shocked GW2 went "old school" with dungeon currencies. I also found it to be a deterrent for running dungeons, especially since there's a different currency for each one. (Seriously, WTF?)

Everyone hails the Collectibles tab, but with the way the game is set up it's not only absolutely necessary but still arguably insufficient. You still can't store a lot of crafted components like many cooking ingredients, insignias/inscriptions, etc. all of which take up valuable and limited space.

The amount of account bound items in the game is ridiculous, many of which have no logical reason for being account bound. BLCs are the worst, I literally have a mule character stuffed to the gills with salvaging kits, boosters, gathering tools, etc.

The amount of default bank space they give you is woefully insufficient, 30 spaces is only 10 more than the starter backpack and is account wide. As much as people argue otherwise, when the first response is always "make a guild bank" it's a sure sign that the default space given isn't enough. Not to mention that for a game that focuses on cosmetic they make changing your look as painful as possible. I have had to essentially decide on one (semi) permanent look for each of my characters because the storage simply doesn't exist to keep multiple sets of gear. (Apparently it exists in PvP though, so again, WTF?)

I've been accused of being a hoarder, but most of the stuff I keep I routinely use, just not at the high rate of which it's acquired.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhywolver View Post
    Fencers this sounds incredibly weird... like... some sort of Asperger. Take no offense please, but I'm often confused by things you say.
    What exactly are VGS functions, and isn't that interest some kind of entertainment, too?
    Well, video games are not necessarily an entertainment medium alone. Video games can be made with other goals in mind beside base entertainment. In the same manner as film, music or literature. One can enjoy video games or film strictly as entertainment, of course. But like, Gummo or In Between aren't trying to give a viewer the same "good times" as Pacific Rim.

Likewise video games can [and commonly are] played for entertainment. Though I don't personally play video games strictly for entertainment. I would say I am more curious about video games as a [new] medium- in the same manner I am curious about the works of Maja Ratkje or the films of Giorgos Lanthimos.

For example. I didn't sit down to play Bioshock Infinite out of boredom or need for escapism. I played BI because I was intrigued by it's possibility/existence. Thinking about the game was far more rewarding than the act of playing.

Not to mention that for a game that focuses on cosmetic they make changing your look as painful as possible. I have had to essentially decide on one (semi) permanent look for each of my characters because the storage simply doesn't exist to keep multiple sets of gear. (Apparently it exists in PvP though, so again, WTF?)
    Definitely. I can't even believe their cosmetic systems are so ancient.

Some of their practices border between laziness and crass w/ the volume of armor skins, backpacks and town clothes.

I was shocked GW2 went "old school" with dungeon currencies. I also found it to be a deterrent for running dungeons, especially since there's a different currency for each one. (Seriously, WTF?)
    Yea, that is another breakdown in design logic I noticed early on. It was about the time we cleared the plant dungeon Twilight Garden or whatever. Which was one our first Expo modes cleared.

There was no real point to having CM, AC and whatever else tokens all broken out. Even if Anet desired to create an incentive to return to a specif dungeon, which already is out of line from the design philosophy; there could have been uniformed, tiered or set tokens.

It doesn't really make a lot of sense.

A better implementation would be to require a precursor item to upgrade to a exotic/ascended piece with tokens or karma. Which would be in line with the rest of the game and still meet the goal of providing incentive in replaying of dungeons.

The secondary systems of the Guild Wars franchise have always failed Anet. And I mean it is endemic to their design implementations since Guild Wars 1; core gameplay of the Guild Wars games is always terrific, yet lacking in secondary system design.

Quite frustrating. They come so close, so often.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-07-16 at 03:02 PM.

And how does allowing items to stack to 250 plus giving us 318 free mat collectible slots (that right there holds up to 79,500 items if anyone is counting) on top of our free bank tab jive with "smarmy"? Or how the free PvP locker stores all your pvp gear. Or how the new Zenith weapons are stored on the achievement panel much like HoM skins?
    Lol, my husband was working on a jumping puzzle last night and was like "oh hey, maybe the kite will help me not die so much"... was pretty hilarious

They do keep adding things to the collectables tabs as well. They definitly need to add more (like the dungeon tokens) but they have been improving it.

Am I the only one that has EVERY weapon your character can use in the inventory, even when I use a maximum of 7?
    I do I have a whole invisible bag filled with weapons on all of my toons. I do it mostly for if I am going into a fight where my normal weapons are an issue (like anything that reflects projectiles) or for those rare moments when I am running with people other than my normal group. I find switching weapons can be helpful in those cases as well. Also sometimes I just like variety

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post

Everyone hails the Collectibles tab, but with the way the game is set up it's not only absolutely necessary but still arguably insufficient. You still can't store a lot of crafted components like many cooking ingredients, insignias/inscriptions, etc. all of which take up valuable and limited space. [sniped for space]
    I agree with you on all those points. As much as they have done to make the collectables tab better t still needs more. I have a whole section of my bank just for my legendary things and my dungeon tokens. I don't see any reason why dungeon tokens shouldn't be able to be in the collectables or why say clovers aren't collectable. And omg cooking things >< If you can use something you made, to make something else it should be able to go into your collections imo.

Well, video games are not necessarily an entertainment medium alone. Video games can be made with other goals in mind beside base entertainment. In the same manner as film, music or literature. One can enjoy video games or film strictly as entertainment, of course. But like, Gummo or In Between aren't trying to give a viewer the same "good times" as Pacific Rim.

Likewise video games can [and commonly are] played for entertainment. Though I don't personally play video games strictly for entertainment. I would say I am more curious about video games as a [new] medium- in the same manner I am curious about the works of Maja Ratkje or the films of Giorgos Lanthimos.

For example. I didn't sit down to play Bioshock Infinite out of boredom or need for escapism. I played BI because I was intrigued by it's possibility/existence. Thinking about the game was far more rewarding than the act of playing.
    Yep like Karizee said, allergic to fun But it is awesome to have people who like at games in such a way. People like you who work in the industry are a major part of what helps games continue to improve.

- - - Updated - - -

Lol, my husband was working on a jumping puzzle last night and was like "oh hey, maybe the kite will help me not die so much"... was pretty hilarious

They do keep adding things to the collectables tabs as well. They definitly need to add more (like the dungeon tokens) but they have been improving it.

I do I have a whole invisible bag filled with weapons on all of my toons. I do it mostly for if I am going into a fight where my normal weapons are an issue (like anything that reflects projectiles) or for those rare moments when I am running with people other than my normal group. I find switching weapons can be helpful in those cases as well. Also sometimes I just like variety

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post

Everyone hails the Collectibles tab, but with the way the game is set up it's not only absolutely necessary but still arguably insufficient. You still can't store a lot of crafted components like many cooking ingredients, insignias/inscriptions, etc. all of which take up valuable and limited space. [sniped for space]
    I agree with you on all those points. As much as they have done to make the collectables tab better t still needs more. I have a whole section of my bank just for my legendary things and my dungeon tokens. I don't see any reason why dungeon tokens shouldn't be able to be in the collectables or why say clovers aren't collectable. And omg cooking things >< If you can use something you made, to make something else it should be able to go into your collections imo.

Yep like Karizee said, allergic to fun But it is awesome to have people who like at games in such a way. People like you who work in the industry are a major part of what helps games continue to improve.

10+ Year Old Account
    These kite statues some players made look amazing

http://imgur.com/a/5ooeU
    Valar morghulis

These kite statues some players made look amazing

http://imgur.com/a/5ooeU
    Oh wow, those are pretty impressive. The second picture is pretty awesome