Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    A 7750 just gets its power through the pci express slot which provides 75W but doesn't mean the max tdp is 75W. For the 7770 the default power is set to 70 with max as 105% based of the max TDP which is 80W. This should work flawless on any OEM psu even on a 250W.

Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    A 7750 just gets its power through the pci express slot which provides 75W but doesn't mean the max tdp is 75W. For the 7770 the default power is set to 70 with max as 105% based of the max TDP which is 80W. This should work flawless on any OEM psu even on a 250W.
    You're making the assumption that all 7770s have the capability to pull all necessary power from the motherboard only.

A Corsair AX1200 won't do much good if the 7770 needs power from the the 6-pin connector, despite having sufficient power available from the PCIe slot itself.

What you're saying is "as long as there's enough power from the PCIe slot and the PSU, it should work". What I'm saying is "power needs to be routed to the right place for it to work".
    Last edited by yurano; 2013-06-12 at 08:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    You're making the assumption that all 7770s have the capability to pull all necessary power from the motherboard only.

A Corsair AX1200 won't do much good if the 7770 needs power from the the 6-pin connector, despite having sufficient power available from the PCIe slot itself.

What you're saying is "as long as there's enough power from the PCIe slot and the PSU, it should work". What I'm saying is "power needs to be routed to the right place for it to work".
    70 power target (default) with 80W as max tdp means 60W so yes it should be able to get its full power but no longer at 100 power target, actually you're just 5W going above. A 6pin can only give 75W, so what's your point? Setting the power target to its max, is only going to take 5W more either from the slot or 6pins.

I'm not even sure if it's 75W for the slot because as you can see on some boards with quad sli support they provide an additional 6pin just to avoid your 24pin is dying.

so what's your point? Setting the power target to its max, is only going to take 5W more either from the slot or 6pins.
    What I'm saying is "power needs to be routed to the right place for it to work".
    Suggesting a 7770 for an OEM PSU or a low quality PSU with no guarantee as to the availability of 6-pin PCIe connectors (or presence of molex) is not the safest bet, despite the availability of "sufficient" power from the PCIe slot. Prebuilt upgraders typically don't have the the same technical understanding as custom builders, making assurance of the presence of 6-pin PCIe power difficult.

A 7750 isn't an optimal choice in a custom build, but is the safest choice for upgrading a prebuilt or when a new PSU isn't on the table.

I got http://www.amazon.com/XFX-DisplayPor...words=xfx+7750

It will be here friday thx everyone for your help
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2013-06-12 at 09:28 PM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Suggesting a 7770 for an OEM PSU or a low quality PSU with no guarantee as to the availability of 6-pin PCIe connectors (or presence of molex) is not the safest bet, despite the availability of "sufficient" power from the PCIe slot. Prebuilt upgraders typically don't have the the same technical understanding as custom builders, making assurance of the presence of 6-pin PCIe power difficult.

A 7750 isn't an optimal choice in a custom build, but is the safest choice for upgrading a prebuilt or when a new PSU isn't on the table.
    Take a card like the 680 dc2t, 8pin & 6pin plugs which means you only can get 225W (150+75) from the cables but to get more power you'll need it from the pci express slot. At 160 power target or either 130% TDP the card pushes 350W from the wall, so you're basically heavily pulling power off the slot so I don't see the problem at all. Cards tdp values http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/1...48-120709.html

Most OEM psu's have around 250W and the tdp difference is 2Amps only between the 7750 & 7770 so it doesn't make sense that his psu wouldn't take a 7770. His system should take 150W in Cinebench 11.5 but in normal scenario's it would never get that extreme so lets say it's around ~100w and an additional 80W shouldn't be a problem at all.

Take a card like the 680 dc2t, 8pin & 6pin plugs which means you only can get 225W (150+75) from the cables but to get more power you'll need it from the pci express slot. At 160 power target or either 130% TDP the card pushes 350W from the wall, so you're basically heavily pulling power off the slot so I don't see the problem at all. Cards tdp values http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/1...48-120709.html

Most OEM psu's have around 250W and the tdp difference is 2Amps only between the 7750 & 7770 so it doesn't make sense that his psu wouldn't take a 7770. His system should take 150W in Cinebench 11.5 but in normal scenario's it would never get that extreme so lets say it's around ~100w and an additional 80W shouldn't be a problem at all.
    Like I said before, the problem isn't how much power can be supplied by the PSU or even the motherboard slot. The problem is how much power is routed to the right place. In the case of the 7770, power needs to be routed to the 6-pin connector for it to work.

Take your 680 for example. Nvidia reports its maximum power is 195W stock. Unplug one of your 6-pin connectors leaving 150W+75W (8-pin + PCIe slot) which is 225, more than Nvidia's power target. I highly doubt your computer will boot since the power isn't being routed to the right place (both PCIe power ports).

By paying more for less performance as with the 7750, the buyer is paying for the additional circuitry required such that the 7750 is only drawing power from the PCIe slot. There may even be further circuitry/firmware to address insufficient power supply, as you see in laptop CPU/GPU components. For example, I can run my 95W "performance" desktop replacement HP laptop off of a 60W power supply; I just have much less performance. In contrast, desktops which aren't being supplied enough power, usually due to low quality PSUs, won't boot and/or will crash under load.

The 7770 is a true desktop component so it doesn't have these features. This is the primary reason why its not possible to boot a 7770 without supplying power to its 6-pin port (if present) despite the motherboard's capability to supply an adequate amount of power via PCIe slot.

Just got the video card and I got it installed.

I learned also that my PCIE slot is a PCIE1.0 x16 but everything seems to be working good so far. Only problem I had is with the install disk it was not noticing I had the video card in so I had to get the driver from AMD's website.

I am now running D3 max with 60fps and Vsync on.

Marvel Heroes I got to run at mid settings and I get around 45fps if I run it any higher it bounce's all over the place. I think its like that because Marvel Heroes isn't optimized all that good right now.

Battlefield 3 in a Close Quarters Match Meduim settings 20-30fps depending.

Overall it was a major upgrade thx for all the help everyone.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2013-06-14 at 04:32 PM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD