Page 20 of 57 FirstFirst ...
10
18
19
20
21
22
30
... LastLast
  1. #381
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    I think that all depends on the type of Mario game, since there are a variety of different types of games. Honestly, I am not even going to waste my time with Super Mario 3D World, because it looks like another reiteration of the NSMB series, which was great when it was fresh, but now it's stale. I was hoping for a new 3D platformer, not another half ass side scroller.
    The first NSMB was good but the others seemed meh, I watched gameplay of them and they looked far too easy.
    The Runaway. I love my new nickname. Is there a picture of me? Does it look good?

  2. #382
    Brewmaster xlightning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    1,276
    Quote Originally Posted by cityguy193 View Post
    No you did not address Halo and AC. Just because mario is from the "80s," does not mean that there is no room to innovate in any games that have mario in them. 80s mario isnt mario now, while games like call of duty and halo stayed 90% of the same throughout their entire franchise

    And besides, some games are timeless. Tetris comes to mind. The game play remains the same, but people continue to play it because it is a good game.
    I mentioned theme.

    Anyway, i know they innovate but 30+ years. Can't they come up with something new to replace Mario? I don't wanna look like those guys that don't play because they think it's for kids but i can't understand how someone, older than 12, can play Mario over and over again.

    Believe me, i am very open minded and i know tastes are subjective but i can't understand people obsession with Nintendo games.

    And don't tell something like PS and MS gamers can't understand the magic of Nintendo games. I know that some games can only be appreciated by a few. And yeah, some games are timeless. Super Mario Bros will be forever remembered by me. That's a timeless game. SMB2,3,4,5,x,u,y,7,43,54 are not.

  3. #383
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    I think that all depends on the type of Mario game, since there are a variety of different types of games. Honestly, I am not even going to waste my time with Super Mario 3D World, because it looks like another reiteration of the NSMB series, which was great when it was fresh, but now it's stale. I was hoping for a new 3D platformer, not another half ass side scroller.
    3d world is a sequel to 3d land on the 3ds, it isnt a side scroller its more like if you added the level system and a timer to a 3d mario game, it plays just like any other 3d mario game but it has a timer and you are trying to get to a flag/boss instead of a star

    ---------- Post added 2013-07-02 at 12:53 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by xlightning View Post
    I mentioned theme.

    Anyway, i know they innovate but 30+ years. Can't they come up with something new to replace Mario? I don't wanna look like those guys that don't play because they think it's for kids but i can't understand how someone, older than 12, can play Mario over and over again.

    Believe me, i am very open minded and i know tastes are subjective but i can't understand people obsession with Nintendo games.

    And don't tell something like PS and MS gamers can't understand the magic of Nintendo games. I know that some games can only be appreciated by a few. And yeah, some games are timeless. Super Mario Bros will be forever remembered by me. That's a timeless game. SMB2,3,4,5,x,u,y,7,43,54 are not.
    because most of the mario games play pretty differently, the 2d games have less changes but all of the 3d mario games are pretty different and they are making new franchises all the time they just often get overlooked, nintendo has dozens of different ips and if you are counting all games related to mario as one series you cant really do that, just because mario is in a game doesnt mean its the same thing.

  4. #384
    since 1996 with mario 64 we've had a grand total of four 3d mario's for a home console.

    since 1996 with mario kart 64 we've had a grand total of four mario karts for a home console.

    infact the only mario game which is arguably over used imo is mario party (9 titles since 1996) and they usually still offer more changes than your annual CoD, fifa, etc.
    Last edited by Insanoflex; 2013-07-02 at 11:55 AM.
    Dictated but not read.

  5. #385
    Quote Originally Posted by Insanoflex View Post
    since 1996 with mario 64 we've had a grand total of four 3d mario's for a home console.

    since 1996 with mario kart 64 we've had a grand total of four mario karts for a home console.

    infact the only mario game which is arguably over used imo is mario party (9 titles since 1996) and they usually still offer more changes than your annual CoD, fifa, etc.
    i use to play super mario on SNES and mario 64, even a bit of sunshine, when i was kid/teenager/young adult.

    i am now looking for something else in video games, i changed. I am looking some sort of realism or at least a suspension of disbelief not too farfetch, more mature story and gameplay. like i say, i am not a mario demographic target anymore, i suspect i am not the only one.

    I am not saying it's wrong to play mario in your 30s or 40s, it's just not something i am attracted to currently. So yes, i prefer game like assassin's creed, cod single player campaign, dead space or deus ex hr.

  6. #386
    Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    i use to play super mario on SNES and mario 64, even a bit of sunshine, when i was kid/teenager/young adult.

    i am now looking for something else in video games, i changed. I am looking some sort of realism or at least a suspension of disbelief not too farfetch, more mature story and gameplay. like i say, i am not a mario demographic target anymore, i suspect i am not the only one.

    I am not saying it's wrong to play mario in your 30s or 40s, it's just not something i am attracted to currently. So yes, i prefer game like assassin's creed, cod single player campaign, dead space or deus ex hr.
    and thats fine. As a PC gamer mainly i want something different and unique with my console and nintendo does that perfectly for me (im 28). I only buy other consoles so i can play online with my mates..

    My friends are probably of a similar opinion to you but just because they dont play nintendo games anymore (well some do) doesnt mean they dont still appreciate what they do. So its annoying when people dismiss another game for having mario in it.. regardless if its a game of the year contender or not.

    nintendo make brilliant games for everyone.. xenoblade, smash bros, fire emblem, metroid, zelda etc it why i still support them and hope they continue making home consoles for another 30 years
    Dictated but not read.

  7. #387
    It's only been recently that Mario games have been a bit repetitive. I enjoyed Super Mario 3D Land, but I don't want another side scrolling/3D hybrid game. I thought that NSMB was a nice step away from past console iterations, but now its getting excessive to be honest. I think Nintendo ultimately switched design styles because the market wanted a change.

  8. #388
    OP: Then why can't Nintendo keep making their machines, and the Sony/MS exclusives make games for that? Then you have hardware innovations as well as the games you love.
    Mother pus bucket!

  9. #389
    Over 9000! Baar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    9,794
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Oh really? The Wii was a completely different avenue from their "comfort zone" that was the previous 4 console iterations.
    Why was it out of their comfort zone? The controller? Do you remember the N64 and gamecube controllers?

  10. #390
    Mechagnome zEmini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    693
    I wish there was a new Metroid coming out. I will not be buying a Wii U until one does.

  11. #391
    why, WiiU was there first loss in the last 30 years, don't think it bothered them too much, they will come up with something and they will be all ok again.

  12. #392
    Quote Originally Posted by Pachurick View Post
    This is an article that shows why Nintendo doesn't consider Sony or Microsoft as any competition.

    TL;DR: Nintendo makes far more money than Sony or Microsoft combined. So as for going software only, why give away profits to falling behind competitors? Console: Nintendo, Software: Nintendo, Characters/Idea: Nintendo... Stay exclusive and share no profit to 3rd party developers/middle-man/anyone outside...
    Interesting infographic, but I have a hard time believing those numbers.

    I do think though that Nintendo should look at the iOS market. I feel like Mario on an iPad is meant to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Extremity View Post
    I like turtles. I would like turtle-based tier sets. I would like a turtle shell helmet, and perhaps a cheeseburger backpack and a chestpiece that simply places a red gemstone on my bellybutton.

  13. #393
    Perfect example of what not - Final fantasy. FFs on Nintendo were good, just cept getting better. 1-6, then they went to Sony, and slowly it became more about graphic and less about game. Look at FF now. All graphics and no game. Just a really polished turd. The last one might aswell have been a movie.

  14. #394
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    I feel like Mario on an iPad is meant to be.
    id rather them make games for sony or microsoft than go the ios route.. mario with no physical controls.. thats just a horrible thought.
    Dictated but not read.

  15. #395
    Quote Originally Posted by teddytous View Post
    Perfect example of what not - Final fantasy. FFs on Nintendo were good, just cept getting better. 1-6, then they went to Sony, and slowly it became more about graphic and less about game. Look at FF now. All graphics and no game. Just a really polished turd. The last one might aswell have been a movie.
    In Final Fantasy's defense, it's a recent trend to make games more movie-like, and it certainly wasn't the console switch that caused it.

    "We set out to revolutionize entertainment, combining an explosive action game with a dramatic TV show, and blurring the lines between the mediums. The choices you make in the game create your personalized version of the TV show. And watching the show gives you insight that impacts the way you play the game."

    ...says a presenter for Quauntum Break.

    http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-things...-about-gamers/

  16. #396
    so its like what he said before.. trying to achieve photo realistic visuals, emotion, immersion etc at the expense of gameplay (every now and again they pull off both.)
    Dictated but not read.

  17. #397
    Oh exactly. I'm not agreeing with the developers' decisions; I play games for the fun, not for the prettiness (which is why I'm still playing WoW after 6 years, yet I left Aion after less than a month).

    Rather, I was just pointing out that it wasn't only FF that has become this way.

  18. #398
    Quote Originally Posted by lopk View Post
    Rather, I was just pointing out that it wasn't only FF that has become this way.
    yeah totally understand.. its why alot of people dismissed imo games like xenoblade on the wii because they werent as pretty as say skyrim. Xenoblade is easily one of the best games ive played in the last 5 years.
    Dictated but not read.

  19. #399
    Quote Originally Posted by lopk View Post
    Oh exactly. I'm not agreeing with the developers' decisions; I play games for the fun, not for the prettiness (which is why I'm still playing WoW after 6 years, yet I left Aion after less than a month).

    Rather, I was just pointing out that it wasn't only FF that has become this way.
    Why I said was just an example ;-) There are lots of others for sure. Just cause something was a goal, or is part of a larger trend, doesn't mean its a good thing.

    Final fantasy is just a very drastic example... Metal gear is another very drastic one.

  20. #400
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Interesting infographic, but I have a hard time believing those numbers.
    I do think though that Nintendo should look at the iOS market. I feel like Mario on an iPad is meant to be.
    Jesus fucking Christ no. Touch screen controls on a platformer? Fucking terrible. Just infuriating to play with. In limited amounts, they can be fine, but making a platformer completely based around touch screen controls is abysmal to play.

    And before you say anything about the DS or 3DS, none of the games (at least ones made by nintendo that I've played) use just the touch screen. Most of the time, the touch screen is used for minor things that make certain things like inventory screens more convenient, or can be used for aiming on the top screen (like with Kid Icarus: Uprising).
    Quote Originally Posted by teddytous View Post
    Perfect example of what not - Final fantasy. FFs on Nintendo were good, just cept getting better. 1-6, then they went to Sony, and slowly it became more about graphic and less about game. Look at FF now. All graphics and no game. Just a really polished turd. The last one might aswell have been a movie.
    I dunno, I have high hopes for 15. I like the combat of KH, and I like the aesthetic of what they showed at E3. However, pretty much everything before that, yes, it was mostly about flashy visuals and telling a story through generic/annoying/horribly written characters.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •