Page 3 of 57 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
13
53
... LastLast
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Snes View Post
    Look at what Microsoft did to Rare.

    The same would happen to Nintendo.
    ...????

    Are you saying if Nintendo went 3rd party, Microsoft would buy them up and force them to make kinnect games!? o_O

    ...I'm MORE than certain Nintendo could stand quite well on their own feet as a 3rd party game developer. :P
    "Tell them only that the Lich King is dead... and that World of Warcraft... died with him..."

    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    That's the ONLY reason you would post 9600 posts over 3 years: a mission of hate.

  2. #42
    Bloodsail Admiral ranku's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    south carolina
    Posts
    1,023
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    Yeah. Sony/Microsoft would absolutely murder to get the kind of first party sales that Nintendo has gotten over the years. That's why you see them working on first franchises for their respective consoles so hard, because those are the most profitable games for them. Sure, they may move more total software units in a year than Nintendo, but Nintendo doesn't need to move as many software units when they're making more on average per unit sold.
    yeah i mean, look at how much they sell each one. after all 30 of the top 50 selling games of the generation were owned by nintendo.
    I mean, mario kart wii sold 33 million copies, that's more than ANY COD game ever.
    the non bundle wii sports resort sold 31 million
    wii play sold 28 million
    new super mario bros wii sold 27 million
    wii fit sold 22 million
    brawl sold 10 million
    super mario galaxy sold 10 million
    and twilight princess is at the back with 7 million
    all this coupled with the 100 million wii's sold, this isn't including the number of ds's or 3ds's sold either.

    now if dead space 3 was setting itself up for disappointment by saying they needed 5 million to justify the game itself, then obviously nintendo is not in a tough spot here.
    Quote Originally Posted by ohshift View Post
    Mess with someone's head enough, you can turn a scared little kid into an all powerful bitch.
    only two things are infinite the universe, and human stupidity,
    and i'm not too sure about the universe -Albert Einstein

  3. #43
    Herald of the Titans Snes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,914
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    You know what? Fuck exclusives period. Every game should be on ever console.
    Lol, what?
    You realize if every game was on every console, there would be one clear winner when picking a console. That winner would eliminate the competition and have a monopoly over console gaming, meaning people have one choice for consoles. They could abuse it and give you the choice of either paying $35 a month for online, DRM, region-locking, etc OR you could not play console games again.

    Taking away exclusives would create way more problems than it would solve.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortera View Post
    I own a Wii U and I love its so called gimmicks. I love the touch pad and how it functions with games. People who vomit hateful remarks about it either don't own one or are simply miserable human beings who don't care much for anything and end up screaming into microphones in online games like little children. This generation of gamers is entitled as fuck to think every system should be box+controller and games shouldn't be exclusive. Jesus Christ, if you don't like one console's style, go to another one and shut the fuck up about it. Nobody is forcing you to play anything so if you have a problem with Nintendo or Sony or Microsoft, then get some fucking thing else.
    So what you are saying is 'anyone who doesn't think the exact same things s me is a miserable human being.'

    Good argument there, I guess?

  5. #45
    Bloodsail Admiral ranku's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    south carolina
    Posts
    1,023
    Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    I always forget that the 3DS even has 3D, haha. Sure, it's a gimmick, but that doesn't change the fact that there are still great games for it! I don't regret my purchase at all.
    agreed, it was slow at first, but eventually it picked up (main reason i didn't have a good time at first is that i just couldn't afford the games, not a smart move on my part.)
    Quote Originally Posted by ohshift View Post
    Mess with someone's head enough, you can turn a scared little kid into an all powerful bitch.
    only two things are infinite the universe, and human stupidity,
    and i'm not too sure about the universe -Albert Einstein

  6. #46
    The Insane GennGreymane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    I will always live in Gilneas
    Posts
    15,961
    Why is it when Nintendo does not have amazing profits, it should die? Even though the Sony hand helds... SUCK! btw Nintendo still has great profits, just not that great this year.

    Microsoft's stock has been stagnant for years, Sony has had some issues too, but you dont care. Because you dont want to play mario 5000..... how about COD 100000 (hint, no difference between games for COD)


    Nintendo does not charge for the same services Microsoft charges for. It has great exclusives with games people still play and want to play!
    Last edited by GennGreymane; 2013-06-12 at 03:37 AM.

    ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Praise REGGIE! MY BODY IS READY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Delevicton View Post
    As a consumer, I should NOT have to choose between first party Nintendo titles and triple-A third party ones. If Nintendo had BOTH, it would truly be unstoppable, and it boggles my mind as to why they haven't chosen to go down that path this generation.
    I can field this one... here's a quick summary of what happened.

    It all started, ironically, with the introduciton of the original Xbox... believe it or not. :P

    For the first time in Video Game history, a next-gen system launched that was DESIGNED to be sold at a loss - with MS hoping to play chicken with the Gamecube and (back then) majority industry holder Playstation 2, basically saying "HAH! we got tons of cash reserves! Lets see you top THIS!"

    Sony answered the call (poorly) with the PS3, thus continuing a massive game of chicken (profit loss speaking) between the two

    Nintendo basically said "Woooah! WTF!?! We don't operate on losses and don't gamble!" and, instead, decided to move sideways instead via remodeling the Gamecube and inventing the Wii-Mote... trying to go for a whole different audience and saving costs.

    Ever since then... Nintendo has NOT wanted to engage in Sony/MS in a console-war, and thus they make refurbished last-generation consoles with gimmick controllers in an attempt to be "provide a unique experience". Where they fell flat on their face with the Wii was when they made a console people wanted, but NOBODY wanted to develop for simply because of their jack-leg controller. Everybody knew how to develop for the classic controller, not some wii-waggling thing. Not to mention the controller really frustrated developers in porting over games that require 8 buttons to use, when the Wii only had 2.

    They've partially fixed the controller problem now... but the other problem remains that, well, they now have a piss-poor reputation of being the company who makes consoles that collects dust 2 months after you buy it due to a lack of games. Nobody wants a repeat of that...

    Combine that with the fact that the 3rd party games today (assassin's creed, ect..) can be all obtained on PS3/Xbox 360 - why would you bother buying a Wii-U for the same game with barely any graphic upgrade?
    "Tell them only that the Lich King is dead... and that World of Warcraft... died with him..."

    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    That's the ONLY reason you would post 9600 posts over 3 years: a mission of hate.

  8. #48
    Bloodsail Admiral ranku's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    south carolina
    Posts
    1,023
    Quote Originally Posted by Delevicton View Post
    The fact of the matter is that this generation, much like the last, comes down to a simple question: Do you want to play Nintendo exclusives or triple-A third party titles more? That's an objective fact.
    considering that quite a few triple a third party titles are also coming to wii u i don't understand the point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Delevicton View Post
    It shouldn't be that way. Everyone saying "hardware specs don't matter, it's gameplay!" is deluded. While I agree to an extent, obsolete hardware means having the same fantastic third-party titles as Xbox and PS4 is nothing more than a fantasy. Wii U isn't going to get Unreal 4 games, Frostbite 3 games, etc. There will be no Mass Effect 4, no Dragon Age 3, No Elder Scrolls VI. All the Wii U will receive is watered-down ports and family-friendly party games.

    As a consumer, I should NOT have to choose between first party Nintendo titles and triple-A third party ones. If Nintendo had BOTH, it would truly be unstoppable, and it boggles my mind as to why they haven't chosen to go down that path this generation. We still haven't seen a compelling and convincing use of the Wii U's gamepad, there's literally no Wii Sports equivalent on the Wii U to demonstrate the controller's potential. It's not a must-own.

    Any first-party Nintendo titles that we've seen just look like more of the same, playing-it-safe content. Another sidescrolling Donkey Kong Country Returns, Super Mario 3D Land part 2 for Wii.... they should have come up with something better and more inventive for the first 3D Wii U Mario game. This just makes it seem like even they couldn't think of a compelling idea for how their controller could be put to use in interesting and fun new ways.

    Once again, graphics DO matter when the lack of them holds a system back from getting great games. "That's how it's always been" isn't even true, and it's a stupid, narrow-minded way of looking at the situation.
    um first off, the bolded is so wrong on your part. in almost every generation, the weaker console has DOMINATED it's generation. just look at the ps2, by comparison to the other two, it's specs and graphics were shit, but it ruled in it's time.
    as for the new nintendo titles coming out, while i haven't seen the new 3d wii u mario info yet, i would like to point out that this is not even close to the end of what they are announcing. they still will be having several more nintendo directs over the next few days that will be going over a lot more games, including 3rd party games (like watchdogs and batman arkham origins)
    Quote Originally Posted by ohshift View Post
    Mess with someone's head enough, you can turn a scared little kid into an all powerful bitch.
    only two things are infinite the universe, and human stupidity,
    and i'm not too sure about the universe -Albert Einstein

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    How much of that is attributed to the 3DS vs their console division?
    I'm not sure what you're saying... For the past 30ish years, Nintendo was profitable every single quarter. The 3DS was the start of their profits declining and them going into the red. They've turned that around and IIRC a few calls back they were back to being profitable. Now the 3DS is doing very well for them and the Wii U is having the same issues and is struggling.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fortera View Post
    TWhat fucking sense would it make to even have more than one company in the hardware industry at that point?
    Same reason that every industry has multiple companies providing essentially the same product/service. Every TV has the same shows on it, yet there is a thriving marketplace for TV manufacturers. Every model of a given videocard is going to perform quite similarly, yet you still have a ton of manufacturers creating almost identical video cards.

    Sony will offer X services to get you to buy games on their console. Microsoft will offer Y services. And Nintendo will offer Z services. It won't be the console exclusives that sell consoles, it will be the service and quality that each company provides.

    I'm thinking from a consumer perspective btw. I have the wierd tick that people don't seem to share in that I am 100% consumer focused.

    Quote Originally Posted by Snes View Post
    Lol, what?
    You realize if every game was on every console, there would be one clear winner when picking a console.
    Why? I don't get why there would be a "clear winner". It would turn the system from a, "We hold your favorite franchise hostage" situation to a, "The onus is on us to provide enough value and a good enough service with our console to get you to purchase it."

    It puts the power in the hands of consumers, rather than the hands of the console creators. But I guess that's a bad thing...
    Last edited by Edge-; 2013-06-12 at 03:40 AM.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Why is it when Nintendo does not have amazing profits, it should die? Even though the Sony hand helds... SUCK! btw Nintendo still has great profits, just not that great this year.
    Hey man... for the same reason I wish Nintendo to give up on consoles, I wish Sony to give up on that damn handheld... I've hated the ones they've made ever since the first one with those goofy proprietary movie discs and wish they'd just fold that department into the Console division (which is actually doing a pretty damn good job!)
    "Tell them only that the Lich King is dead... and that World of Warcraft... died with him..."

    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    That's the ONLY reason you would post 9600 posts over 3 years: a mission of hate.

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    I can field this one... here's a quick summary of what happened.

    It all started, ironically, with the introduciton of the original Xbox... believe it or not. :P

    For the first time in Video Game history, a next-gen system launched that was DESIGNED to be sold at a loss - with MS hoping to play chicken with the Gamecube and (back then) majority industry holder Playstation 2, basically saying "HAH! we got tons of cash reserves! Lets see you top THIS!"

    Sony answered the call (poorly) with the PS3, thus continuing a massive game of chicken (profit loss speaking) between the two

    Nintendo basically said "Woooah! WTF!?! We don't operate on losses and don't gamble!" and, instead, decided to move sideways instead via remodeling the Gamecube and inventing the Wii-Mote... trying to go for a whole different audience and saving costs.

    Ever since then... Nintendo has NOT wanted to engage in Sony/MS in a console-war, and thus they make refurbished last-generation consoles with gimmick controllers in an attempt to be "provide a unique experience". Where they fell flat on their face with the Wii was when they made a console people wanted, but NOBODY wanted to develop for simply because of their jack-leg controller. Everybody knew how to develop for the classic controller, not some wii-waggling thing. Not to mention the controller really frustrated developers in porting over games that require 8 buttons to use, when the Wii only had 2.

    They've partially fixed the controller problem now... but the other problem remains that, well, they now have a piss-poor reputation of being the company who makes consoles that collects dust 2 months after you buy it due to a lack of games. Nobody wants a repeat of that...

    Combine that with the fact that the 3rd party games today (assassin's creed, ect..) can be all obtained on PS3/Xbox 360 - why would you bother buying a Wii-U for the same game with barely any graphic upgrade?
    Third party games don't sell on Nintendo consoles, and Nintendo is reportedly horrible to work with as a third party dev. It makes the money sent on the conversion process wasted money when you don't get it back on sales, especially if you also have to buy a license from Nintendo.

  12. #52
    The Insane GennGreymane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    I will always live in Gilneas
    Posts
    15,961
    I dont want Sony or Microsoft having any decisions over a Nintendo game.

    Im sorry, but Mario's hat SHOULD NOT BE A DLC!
    Last edited by GennGreymane; 2013-06-12 at 03:42 AM.

    ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Praise REGGIE! MY BODY IS READY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    I'm not sure what you're saying... For the past 30ish years, Nintendo was profitable every single quarter. The 3DS was the start of their profits declining and them going into the red. They've turned that around and IIRC a few calls back they were back to being profitable. Now the 3DS is doing very well for them and the Wii U is having the same issues and is struggling.
    That IS what I'm saying... I'm suggesting that they're being held back by their console division at this point and should just let it go. If the 3DS is doing great for them, then keep at it until the Smartphone gaming knocks them out in future... until then, put their console resources into game-making. And, as I suggested above, they could even be REALLY clever and tie in the 3DS with the PS4/Xbone gameplay somehow. BAM - more money via handheld console that can feed off the audience of two primary established video game console systems instead of one piss-poorly received console.
    "Tell them only that the Lich King is dead... and that World of Warcraft... died with him..."

    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    That's the ONLY reason you would post 9600 posts over 3 years: a mission of hate.

  14. #54
    The Insane GennGreymane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    I will always live in Gilneas
    Posts
    15,961
    Nintendo has almost no DLCs you actually get the full game when its out. You dont shell out another 20 for something they cut out and made into a DLC

    ---------- Post added 2013-06-12 at 03:44 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    That IS what I'm saying... I'm suggesting that they're being held back by their console division at this point and should just let it go. If the 3DS is doing great for them, then keep at it until the Smartphone gaming knocks them out in future... until then, put their console resources into game-making. And, as I suggested above, they could even be REALLY clever and tie in the 3DS with the PS4/Xbone gameplay somehow. BAM - more money via handheld console that can feed off the audience of two primary established video game console systems instead of one piss-poorly received console.

    Primary established? Im sorry but the Xbox one is hardly primary.

    ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Praise REGGIE! MY BODY IS READY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    I dont want Sony or Microsoft having any decisions over a Nintendo game.

    Im sorry, but Mario's hat SHOULD NOT BE A DLC!
    Why, in all of hades, would either of those companies be involved in the development of those games?

    Can't speak for MS... but at this point I'd be willing to put money that Sony would walk up to Nintendo and say "We want you to make games for PS4... tell us what you want from us in terms of development and we'll give it to you TEN FOLD! You make your games... we'll just be on support duty!"
    "Tell them only that the Lich King is dead... and that World of Warcraft... died with him..."

    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    That's the ONLY reason you would post 9600 posts over 3 years: a mission of hate.

  16. #56
    Titan Nixx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    ooo es eh
    Posts
    12,328
    I do wish they'd let me just use a normal controller, but if they actually increased the number of games that I wanted to play, I'd rather buy from Nintendo than Sony or Microsoft.

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by ranku View Post
    considering that quite a few triple a third party titles are also coming to wii u i don't understand the point.


    um first off, the bolded is so wrong on your part. in almost every generation, the weaker console has DOMINATED it's generation. just look at the ps2, by comparison to the other two, it's specs and graphics were shit, but it ruled in it's time.
    as for the new nintendo titles coming out, while i haven't seen the new 3d wii u mario info yet, i would like to point out that this is not even close to the end of what they are announcing. they still will be having several more nintendo directs over the next few days that will be going over a lot more games, including 3rd party games (like watchdogs and batman arkham origins)
    ...What Triple-A third party titles are coming? The few that are (Watchdogs, Batman, Assassin's Creed) are also coming to PS3 and 360. Do you honestly think a year down the line or so when Mass Effect 4 or Elder Scrolls VI etc come out that they're going to be ported to Wii U, PS3 and 360 as well? Wii U is getting third party support that PS3 and 360 are getting. That's just a fact so you can look it up. Where's Battlefield 4? Where's Star Wars BATTLEFRONT?!

    As for your second point, the PS2 wasn't significantly behind Gamecube/360. There's nothing wrong with being the weakest console, but there's a problem with being a generation behind. If PS2 had N64 graphics during that generation then I could see your argument making a semblance of sense. PS2 also had something called "games". Sorry but nice try. Anyone who legitimately thinks Nintendo not having the same third party content as Xbox and PS4 is fine is straight up in denial. There would literally be no negative side to that. It's too late now, though. They've sealed their fate. Nintendo will be successful with young children and anime fans, but that's where it ends.
    Last edited by Delevicton; 2013-06-12 at 03:48 AM.

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    That IS what I'm saying... I'm suggesting that they're being held back by their console division at this point and should just let it go. If the 3DS is doing great for them, then keep at it until the Smartphone gaming knocks them out in future... until then, put their console resources into game-making. And, as I suggested above, they could even be REALLY clever and tie in the 3DS with the PS4/Xbone gameplay somehow. BAM - more money via handheld console that can feed off the audience of two primary established video game console systems instead of one piss-poorly received console.
    If they let their console division go, their profits plummet. They make their profits because they don't have to share software sale profits with anyone. It all goes to them.

    Know what other console didn't sell well at launch but has come around to be a spectacular device? PS3.

    So the 3DS is now on the right track and is making a ton of money. The PS3 showed that it's possible to do well after a weak start. But because Nintendo has had a single bad year they should leave the hardware business?

    I don't understand a single ounce of that logic. Like, not a single ounce of it.

  19. #59
    Unless the WiiU is a fail of MASSIVE proportions, they're not going down anytime soon. Last generation they were DOMINANT with Wii sales. Doesn't matter that those sales were to casual players: money is money, and the money they got isn't saying "hey let's stop doing consoles." To be honest, they could probably release consoles that don't sell well every generation and still do well solely based off their handheld sales.

    And why is this argument never directed at Sony? I loved the PSP, but the Vita is almost WORSE off than the WiiU. Where are the cries for Sony to stop making hardware and go software only? They have an equally underperforming piece of hardware

  20. #60
    The Insane GennGreymane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    I will always live in Gilneas
    Posts
    15,961
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Why, in all of hades, would either of those companies be involved in the development of those games?

    Can't speak for MS... but at this point I'd be willing to put money that Sony would walk up to Nintendo and say "We want you to make games for PS4... tell us what you want from us and we'll give it to you TEN FOLD!"
    You act as if only Sony and Microsoft make profits.

    Sony has had issues, and Microsoft stock has been stagnant. Nintendo just had a bad quarter.

    ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Praise REGGIE! MY BODY IS READY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •