Page 4 of 56 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    You act as if only Sony and Microsoft make profits.

Sony has had issues, and Microsoft stock has been stagnant. Nintendo just had a bad quarter.
    More than one, and Stock of a huge corporation being stagnant isn't a bad thing. Sony has their issues as well, but as far as I can tell, this thread isn't about Sony going software only :P

I don't know why, but the Wii-u walked away from the 'casual' that was a massive (the only, really) part of the Wii's success.

You act as if only Sony and Microsoft make profits.

Sony has had issues, and Microsoft stock has been stagnant. Nintendo just had a bad quarter.
    ...are we talking the same language here?

What does this have anything to do with your assertion that Sony/MS would somehow tell Nintendo how to design their games?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    ...the core tripple-A gaming developers are developing next-gen games PS4/Xbone - not the Wii-U. You damn well know what I'm talking about. :P

It's about the near future and not repeating the same mistakes they made in the past. :P
    I think a few of the so called triple As will be on the Wii U

I think a few of the so called triple As will be on the Wii U
    They'll also be on PS3 and 360. Why is everyone missing the point in this thread? Third party titles that have current-gen graphics aren't what we're talking about. Think a year or two down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    I don't know why, but the Wii-u walked away from the 'casual' that was a massive (the only, really) part of the Wii's success.
    And the throngs of Nintendo fans who catapulted Nintendo first part games (not the "Wii Sports" type games, but the Mario's and Zelda's) into the top 5/10 selling games for the entire generation, which includes multi-platform games. That some serious profitability.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally, I think Microsoft should stick to PC and the like. Xbox blows and it doesn't look to be getting any better in this generation.
    Men!

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    I picked Biden because he may throw Obama into the Death Star's reactor core, restoring balance to the Force.

Now having a ball on SWTOR!

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry I rather would have Nintendo in the market than Microsoft.

Xbox One is a joke. Wii U is a game system, PS4 is also a game system.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    If they let their console division go, their profits plummet. They make their profits because they don't have to share software sale profits with anyone. It all goes to them.
    ...but they aren't making any software sale profits if nobody BUYS the damn console... do they?

That's my point.

They stand to make MORE of a profit via software sales by selling to two markets (Sony/MS) who COMBINED sell more units than their generation-behind systems do.

MS/Sony really REALLY don't take that much of a cut of the game sales... if at all. You make it sound like they would split the profits 50/50 or something... that's total horsecrap.

10+ Year Old Account
    ...but they aren't making any software sale profits if nobody BUYS the damn console... do they?

That's my point.

They stand to make MORE of a profit via software sales by selling to two markets (Sony/MS) who COMBINED sell more units than their generation-behind systems do.

MS/Sony really REALLY don't take that much of a cut of the game sales... if at all. You make it sound like they would split the profits 50/50 or something... that's total horsecrap.
    Plenty of people will want the Wii U when the exclusives are out. They are making more profit now off their model than wha the triple A title model is doing.

Mario, Zelda, the like sell 10s of millions. These triple As.... 5 million is considered great.

Sorry I rather would have Nintendo in the market than Microsoft.

Xbox One is a joke. Wii U is a game system, PS4 is also a game system.
    Well, can't argue that one... totally agree! :P

I'll toss you this one... it would've been nice to see Nintendo become a viable competitor against Sony this go around... but honestly I REALLY don't see it happening because Nintendo doesn't want to gamble on expensive hardware development. They're not MS/Sony who's SOLE purpose is to create entertainment technology. Honestly I can't really blame them...

But I currently don't see the Wii-U becoming a viable contender at this stage... even if next year they had every single Nintendo IP available. Devs just see their tech as part of a previous generation.

They would be stupid to port their system sellers to other consoles. I have no intention of buying a new console anytime soon, but when the new Zelda game comes out (which it will eventually) I'll probably buy a Wii U for it. If they ported it to another console I'd have no need for a Wii U. Their unique IPs are what sells their consoles, porting them would be insanely stupid.

And I think they're starting to see that their gimmicks aren't working out with the Wii U, wouldn't be surprised if their next console is more about the games and less about the controllers.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    And the throngs of Nintendo fans who catapulted Nintendo first part games (not the "Wii Sports" type games, but the Mario's and Zelda's) into the top 5/10 selling games for the entire generation, which includes multi-platform games. That some serious profitability.
    I would guess that a lot of those, especially for mariokart, were one of the 'other' games the casuals bought after getting the bundled movement games. I honestly don't think there are that many 'pure' Nintendo fans, and I have massive doubts the Wii would have sold more than 40mil consoles if it wasn't for the whole movement-craze and the super-low pricepoint. They really don't have either of those going for them with the Wii-u. Yes it is lower priced than the Sony and MS offerings, but it has nothing to entice the casuals who purchased the Wii. That is the market MS is trying to get into (and failing as far as I can tell, but that is a different thread).

Plenty of people will want the Wii U when the exclusives are out. They are making more profit now off their model than wha the triple A title model is doing.

Mario, Zelda, the like sell 10s of millions. These triple As.... 5 million is considered great.
    Not any more... somebody said the last Zelda sold something like 3 million copies. That's paltry for a company of Nintendo's size who also depend on hardware sales.

And sales of their old IP are going to keep going less and less as they keep churning out more mediocre renditions of their old IPs instead of concentrating on making GENERATION DEFINING versions of said IPs that made them household names in the first place... and they can't do that while being basically the sole game developer for the Wii-U.

That's my point.

But they stand to gain SO MUCH MORE if their consoles DO sell. What happens when their consoles sell? Their game sales shoot above even CoD.

The problem is, everyone is looking at this from the standpoint that "Nintendo consoles just don't sell" when in reality, it's only (I believe) the GameCube and the WiiU (FOR NOW) that don't sell well.

They announced a ton of safe games that don't really interest me or a lot of other core gamers, but for casual fans? These are the games that will make them buy the console. If the WiiU starts selling after these releases, we aren't even HAVING this conversation except from the standpoint of "I like Nintendo games but don't want to shell out money for their console."

Yes, because that is what console scene requires. Even less competition and more stagnation.

Also I don't see why Nintendo should go or would ever consider going to just software. Wii was huge ridiculous success to them even when considering the stagnation for the couple last years of it. For a long time it had sold more than Xbox/PS combined and on profit all the time, while the two others were sold at loss from the start.

This console cycle is still just at start and Nintendo has been quite good at turning shit sales/bad situations into good one, most recently on DS3D

Nintendo also seems to look like as a company that atleast tries to innovate and quite succesfully considering how fast Sony/Microsoft have been into jumping into that boat first with motion controls and now with tablet controls.

On top of that, Nintendo could afford atleast 3 console failures in a row, they've created HUGE bank for themselves with past successes.
    Last edited by Wilian; 2013-06-12 at 04:02 AM.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, can't argue that one... totally agree! :P

I'll toss you this one... it would've been nice to see Nintendo become a viable competitor against Sony this go around... but honestly I REALLY don't see it happening because Nintendo doesn't want to gamble on expensive hardware development. They're not MS/Sony who's SOLE purpose is to create entertainment technology. Honestly I can't really blame them...

But I currently don't see the Wii-U becoming a viable contender at this stage... even if next year they had every single Nintendo IP available. Devs just see their tech as part of a previous generation.
    Nintendo is a good company and they make great games. I'm sure you said the same thing about the 3DS.... look at it now in a world of smart phones. Who cares what Devs think..... COD same game diff graphics THIS TIME... A DOG!

Not any more... somebody said the last Zelda sold something like 3 million copies. That's paltry for a company of Nintendo's size who also depend on hardware sales.

And sales of their old IP are going to keep going less and less as they keep churning out more mediocre renditions of their old IPs instead of concentrating on making GENERATION DEFINING versions of said IPs that made them household names in the first place... and they can't do that while being basically the sole game developer for the Wii-U.
    As dubious as VGChartz is, it lists Skyward Sword at 3.66million total sales

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/45669/t...skyward-sword/

This is just this same old argument where you can't understand why people who aren't you like things you don't.

The WiiU may be a fumble on Nintendo's part (at least on promotion, I barely even knew it was out... can't comment on the console itself as I've never played one) but I think as long as it focuses on its niche and continues to differentiate itself from Sony/MS like they did in the Wii generation, they will always have a competitive product. And yes, as a console, not just a publisher. In fact if anything their published titles kind of rest on their laurels.

Only because the primary gaming crowd was divided 50/50 between 360/PS3...
    So what? What a stupid argument. The Wii was massively successful, end of story. Counting only MS, Sony and Nintendo:

PS1 - 102m
    N64 - 33m (24%)
    ----------------
    PS2 - 150m
    Xbox - 24m
    Gamecube - 22m (11%)
    ----------------
    PS3 - 70m
    Xbox360 - 75m
    Wii - 100m (41%)

Moral of the story?

1) The Wii was the first Nintendo console to reach almost 100m sold since Sony started competing with it. Hell it was the first to break 40m.
    2) On a three-console basis, the Wii had the highest percentage of console sales Nintendo has ever had. It was also the first generation in which Nintendo took the majority of the market and Sony didn't. By a long way.
    3) Even the XBox 360 and PS3 console sales COMBINED are less than the PS2 sold ALONE in the prior generation.
    4) The PS3 was high-tech and marketed at a high price point, aimed at "serious gamers". The Wii was low-tech for its generation, cheap and aimed at Nintendo fans and frankly, party gamers.

I think this is pretty much case closed on the concept that consoles should only focus on high end machines and cater to the gamer crowd, and that there's no market for cheap low end machines aimed at casual players. CLEARLY there is.
    Last edited by Mormolyce; 2013-06-12 at 04:06 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Nintendo is a good company and they make great games. I'm sure you said the same thing about the 3DS.... look at it now in a world of smart phones. Who cares what Devs think..... COD same game diff graphics THIS TIME... A DOG!
    Anyone who stumps for Nintendo but whines about shooters repeating gameplay makes me snicker. Nintendo has had the same lineup or 20 years. Mario, Zelda, Metroid, and they added Pokémon and SSMB to it. Fabulous?

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    As dubious as VGChartz is, it lists Skyward Sword at 3.66million total sales

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/45669/t...skyward-sword/
    http://www.gamespot.com/news/super-m...illion-6349326

That 3 million figure is after a MONTH of Skyward Sword being out. Unless they've only sold, like, 200K copies since December 2011.