Page 20 of 56 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Insanoflex View Post
    since 1996 with mario 64 we've had a grand total of four 3d mario's for a home console.

since 1996 with mario kart 64 we've had a grand total of four mario karts for a home console.

infact the only mario game which is arguably over used imo is mario party (9 titles since 1996) and they usually still offer more changes than your annual CoD, fifa, etc.
    i use to play super mario on SNES and mario 64, even a bit of sunshine, when i was kid/teenager/young adult.

i am now looking for something else in video games, i changed. I am looking some sort of realism or at least a suspension of disbelief not too farfetch, more mature story and gameplay. like i say, i am not a mario demographic target anymore, i suspect i am not the only one.

I am not saying it's wrong to play mario in your 30s or 40s, it's just not something i am attracted to currently. So yes, i prefer game like assassin's creed, cod single player campaign, dead space or deus ex hr.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    i use to play super mario on SNES and mario 64, even a bit of sunshine, when i was kid/teenager/young adult.

i am now looking for something else in video games, i changed. I am looking some sort of realism or at least a suspension of disbelief not too farfetch, more mature story and gameplay. like i say, i am not a mario demographic target anymore, i suspect i am not the only one.

I am not saying it's wrong to play mario in your 30s or 40s, it's just not something i am attracted to currently. So yes, i prefer game like assassin's creed, cod single player campaign, dead space or deus ex hr.
    and thats fine. As a PC gamer mainly i want something different and unique with my console and nintendo does that perfectly for me (im 28). I only buy other consoles so i can play online with my mates..

My friends are probably of a similar opinion to you but just because they dont play nintendo games anymore (well some do) doesnt mean they dont still appreciate what they do. So its annoying when people dismiss another game for having mario in it.. regardless if its a game of the year contender or not.

nintendo make brilliant games for everyone.. xenoblade, smash bros, fire emblem, metroid, zelda etc it why i still support them and hope they continue making home consoles for another 30 years

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's only been recently that Mario games have been a bit repetitive. I enjoyed Super Mario 3D Land, but I don't want another side scrolling/3D hybrid game. I thought that NSMB was a nice step away from past console iterations, but now its getting excessive to be honest. I think Nintendo ultimately switched design styles because the market wanted a change.

OP: Then why can't Nintendo keep making their machines, and the Sony/MS exclusives make games for that? Then you have hardware innovations as well as the games you love.
    Mother pus bucket!

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Oh really? The Wii was a completely different avenue from their "comfort zone" that was the previous 4 console iterations.
    Why was it out of their comfort zone? The controller? Do you remember the N64 and gamecube controllers?

10+ Year Old Account
    I wish there was a new Metroid coming out. I will not be buying a Wii U until one does.

why, WiiU was there first loss in the last 30 years, don't think it bothered them too much, they will come up with something and they will be all ok again.

Quote Originally Posted by Pachurick View Post
    This is an article that shows why Nintendo doesn't consider Sony or Microsoft as any competition.

TL;DR: Nintendo makes far more money than Sony or Microsoft combined. So as for going software only, why give away profits to falling behind competitors? Console: Nintendo, Software: Nintendo, Characters/Idea: Nintendo... Stay exclusive and share no profit to 3rd party developers/middle-man/anyone outside...
    Interesting infographic, but I have a hard time believing those numbers.

I do think though that Nintendo should look at the iOS market. I feel like Mario on an iPad is meant to be.

Perfect example of what not - Final fantasy. FFs on Nintendo were good, just cept getting better. 1-6, then they went to Sony, and slowly it became more about graphic and less about game. Look at FF now. All graphics and no game. Just a really polished turd. The last one might aswell have been a movie.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    I feel like Mario on an iPad is meant to be.
    id rather them make games for sony or microsoft than go the ios route.. mario with no physical controls.. thats just a horrible thought.

Quote Originally Posted by teddytous View Post
    Perfect example of what not - Final fantasy. FFs on Nintendo were good, just cept getting better. 1-6, then they went to Sony, and slowly it became more about graphic and less about game. Look at FF now. All graphics and no game. Just a really polished turd. The last one might aswell have been a movie.
    In Final Fantasy's defense, it's a recent trend to make games more movie-like, and it certainly wasn't the console switch that caused it.

"We set out to revolutionize entertainment, combining an explosive action game with a dramatic TV show, and blurring the lines between the mediums. The choices you make in the game create your personalized version of the TV show. And watching the show gives you insight that impacts the way you play the game."

...says a presenter for Quauntum Break.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-things...-about-gamers/

Deleted
    so its like what he said before.. trying to achieve photo realistic visuals, emotion, immersion etc at the expense of gameplay (every now and again they pull off both.)

Oh exactly. I'm not agreeing with the developers' decisions; I play games for the fun, not for the prettiness (which is why I'm still playing WoW after 6 years, yet I left Aion after less than a month).

Rather, I was just pointing out that it wasn't only FF that has become this way.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lopk View Post
    Rather, I was just pointing out that it wasn't only FF that has become this way.
    yeah totally understand.. its why alot of people dismissed imo games like xenoblade on the wii because they werent as pretty as say skyrim. Xenoblade is easily one of the best games ive played in the last 5 years.

Oh exactly. I'm not agreeing with the developers' decisions; I play games for the fun, not for the prettiness (which is why I'm still playing WoW after 6 years, yet I left Aion after less than a month).

Why I said was just an example ;-) There are lots of others for sure. Just cause something was a goal, or is part of a larger trend, doesn't mean its a good thing.

Final fantasy is just a very drastic example... Metal gear is another very drastic one.

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Interesting infographic, but I have a hard time believing those numbers.
    I do think though that Nintendo should look at the iOS market. I feel like Mario on an iPad is meant to be.
    Jesus fucking Christ no. Touch screen controls on a platformer? Fucking terrible. Just infuriating to play with. In limited amounts, they can be fine, but making a platformer completely based around touch screen controls is abysmal to play.

And before you say anything about the DS or 3DS, none of the games (at least ones made by nintendo that I've played) use just the touch screen. Most of the time, the touch screen is used for minor things that make certain things like inventory screens more convenient, or can be used for aiming on the top screen (like with Kid Icarus: Uprising).
    Quote Originally Posted by teddytous View Post
    I dunno, I have high hopes for 15. I like the combat of KH, and I like the aesthetic of what they showed at E3. However, pretty much everything before that, yes, it was mostly about flashy visuals and telling a story through generic/annoying/horribly written characters.

I don't see what the problem is, Nintendo systems are cheep and fun. I always get one with the latest Sony/Microsoft system. And their handhelds are the best in the industry for... well forever. Gameboy has been the top portable system since the invention of the original. Don't want to hear these gaming pups who don't know the difference between Samus Aran and Master Chief tellin Nintendo to shut down their hardware. Keep on keepin on big N. (that said a bit of constructive criticism: the name WiiU sucks and it needs a bigger hard drive)

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    In Final Fantasy's defense, it's a recent trend to make games more movie-like, and it certainly wasn't the console switch that caused it.

"We set out to revolutionize entertainment, combining an explosive action game with a dramatic TV show, and blurring the lines between the mediums. The choices you make in the game create your personalized version of the TV show. And watching the show gives you insight that impacts the way you play the game."

...says a presenter for Quauntum Break.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-things...-about-gamers/
    The biggest failings of Final Fantasy really started after 10 came out. 11 was an abomination as were all the games that followed. Even the most die hard fans will agree that the last great Final Fantasy game was 10 and that nothing has been as close to the kind of magic that were the original games or the PS instalments. That said, they REALLY need to revisit the Tactics franchise. The Tactics Advanced games for the GBA and DS were amazingly good, though slightly different from the original PS game. I really think they need to bring a new one to the 3DS, maybe even make a Wii U version with link play, same goes for the Vita and PS4.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    The biggest failings of Final Fantasy really started after 10 came out. 11 was an abomination as were all the games that followed. Even the most die hard fans will agree that the last great Final Fantasy game was 10 and that nothing has been as close to the kind of magic that were the original games or the PS instalments. That said, they REALLY need to revisit the Tactics franchise. The Tactics Advanced games for the GBA and DS were amazingly good, though slightly different from the original PS game. I really think they need to bring a new one to the 3DS, maybe even make a Wii U version with link play, same goes for the Vita and PS4.
    But 10 was average.

11 was an MMO, cant really be grouped together with the rest of the series.

15 looks really great. I like the potential new direction the franchise is going in.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by -Labrys View Post
    But 10 was average.

11 was an MMO, cant really be grouped together with the rest of the series.

15 looks really great. I like the potential new direction the franchise is going in.

People said they liked the look of 12 and its direction, but even it was a disappointment, so was 13. Square doesn't want to stick with the tried and true old school combat, yet their newer systems have been pure shit. Maybe they just need to not make Final Fantasy for a few years and explore other avenues. They really need to promote Dragon Quest in the west, it's a franchise that sells well in Japan but doesn't do well here because they don't market it and it constantly gets overshadowed by Final Fantasy. They seem to strike gold when it comes to the quality of Dragon Quest games, and they never change the freaking combat system.