"Dark Soul: Knowledge Your soul is infused with demonic knowledge, increasing your Mastery by 18,000 the effects of Mastery: Master Demonologist by an additional 30% for 20 sec. Can be cast in Metamorphosis. Warlock - Demonology Spec. 5% of Base Mana. Instant. 2 min cooldown."

Serious nerf for the ampli trinket. Because right now you dont only gain 84% from the gears mastery but 84% from gear + dark soul. My PTR Char: 18k Dark Soul + 10k Mastery on Gear = 28k * 84% = ~ 23.5k = 51.5k Mastery = ca. 86% Mastery.

With the Change 10k from gear * 84% = 18.4k Mastery (~39%) + 30% Dark Soul resulting in ~ 80% Mastery (is it multiplikative or additive?) which is a 6% loss in caster and a 18% loss in Meta form compared to the live dark soul killing a lot of our synergy.

Pretty rough math but i hope its clear what i was trying to say.

Edit: damn, my post writing took far too long
    Last edited by Apero; 2013-07-15 at 05:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like you never attained UVOLS huh? With that trinket it makes GoSac an all time dps increase
    For demo that is
    Quote Originally Posted by Kildragon View Post
    It's essentially useless now. Which spec is going to take it? Demo PvE will be taking either AD or MF depending on the fight. Demo PvP will be taking AD since CCs aren't affected by KJC anymore. Affliction and destruction PvE are in the exact same boat as demo pve. AD is just looking very powerful and if they fix MF for destro you'll want to take it for destro AoE as well. The fel flame buff and affliction changes would've reduced the value of KJC as is on live anyways. As for PvP, CC missing from KJC is already big enough to make it nearly useless. Add the AD changes and you'll never want to take KJC. They already ruined MF for PvP since its value for demo was in the increased radius for HoG/chaos wave and its value for destro was in both RoG ember generation and F&B aoe damage in RBGs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grubjuice View Post
    that sounds like a fix, since the other specs version of DS did not benefit from the trinket. Ideally the spec should not be balanced around how a trinket idiosyncratically synergizes with a spec-ability.

let's hope demo is re-balanced to compensate
    why should it be rebalanced to compensate? it makes sense to make dark soul knowledge into a flat percentage when both destro's and afflic's gives you a flat percentage. should be glad they arent changing the mastery buff to a flat 5% since afaik the spellhaste buff is a flat 5%, ofc this could still change.

10+ Year Old Account
    I shall defer to the master.
    That depends on your strategy really. Most people I've seen just keep the adds stacked up and never move them more than 30 yards. For any movement you do have while AoEing you can just drop a RoF and double conflag while running. The old MF might have been useless for that fight, but the 100% increase in damage definitely puts it above KJC for any kind of AoE. I just really don't see where being able to cast a single spell while moving would be better than the other two choices.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Polyhymnia View Post
    Looks like you never attained UVOLS huh? With that trinket it makes GoSac an all time dps increase
    For demo that is
    well, i get better results with GoServ than GoSac as demo but i also only have the crappy lfr version but ive seen plenty of demolocks, even in high end raiding use GoServ as well, so i dont really think there is that big of a difference that its really worth it, comes down to preference, shouldnt go after what simcraft says tho, particularly for demo since its APL is wonky.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polyhymnia View Post
    For demo that is
    ?? Did you quote the right person? I was talking about the lvl 90 talent tier, not the 75 one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vutk View Post
    Only thing that would make KJC essential for demonology, would be a Lei shen Heroic type fight, where your dps capability while standing still is extremely limited and you need to pool a steady amount of DF for AoE purposes, where the targets are clumped. This would mean that KJC would give an advantage over MF and AD, because the targets aren't spread, and due to high movement requirements, pooling DF with soul fire isn't an option and fel flame doesn't generate enough DF to compete with KJC shadow bolt, making KJC "essential" for the best performance.
    You wouldn't think that the new MF would outweigh the ability to cast shadowbolts while moving? Especially since AoE is so important that fight and you won't be able to cast soulfire while moving during execute. You'll get next to 0 benefit out of KJC during execute.

10+ Year Old Account
    Demo Dark Soul change is unexpected, I wonder what sparked that particular idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by almara2512 View Post
    well, i get better results with GoServ than GoSac as demo but i also only have the crappy lfr version but ive seen plenty of demolocks, even in high end raiding use GoServ as well, so i dont really think there is that big of a difference that its really worth it, comes down to preference, shouldnt go after what simcraft says tho, particularly for demo since its APL is wonky.
    GoSac actually increase your wild imp damage and UVOLS gives you a crapload of imps when used properly with doom, which is why Sac is such a DPS increase with the trinket.

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Demo Dark Soul change is unexpected, I wonder what sparked that particular idea.
    Consistency I would imagine. You know they claim to love that.

Quote Originally Posted by Szarala View Post
    Consistency I would imagine. You know they claim to love that.
    It's only consistent when they're nerfing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    It is not a change. 18k mastery = 30% as caster.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammon View Post
    Likely just to make it consistent in the language of it, and make it so it works at every level (i.e. when we get to level 95 at some point this will still work, while 18k rating will not).

EDIT: Does anyone remember why it wasn't this way before? why they made it rating instead of %? I vaguely remember a problem during beta, but can't remember what it was. :S

Quote Originally Posted by Mammon View Post
    As Caster yeah, but as Meta it will be a nerf if it is just a 30% flat increase.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by almara2512 View Post
    why should it be rebalanced to compensate? it makes sense to make dark soul knowledge into a flat percentage when both destro's and afflic's gives you a flat percentage. should be glad they arent changing the mastery buff to a flat 5% since afaik the spellhaste buff is a flat 5%, ofc this could still change.
    the problem is that Mastery is not a % based multiplier. Every single spec has a unique mastery multiplier. that is why, unlike the 5% crit buff, and the 5% Sp haste buff, and the 10% melee haste buff mastery HAS to Always be a rating number and a %.

this is just a tooltip change to make it sound more consistant. It is not change at all mechanically
    Last edited by Grubjuice; 2013-07-15 at 05:56 PM.

We simply want all three talents to be viable choices. In the current ptr iteration, KJC is b useless.
    If by 'useless' you mean 'situational', the yes. Being melodramatic only makes you look silly. All the talents are situational now and will be largely encounter specific as to which is better. It's up to Blizzard to design differing and unique encounters to let each talent shine.

The idea KJC currently is 'useless' is laughable. Maybe if Blizzard said every encounter in future will have 0 movement and be like Patchwerk 1.0 you'd have a point. Lets repeat again - it's situational - just like the others are. And that sounds like exactly the sort of dilemma/opportunity cost talents should have and force you into thinking about.

Quote Originally Posted by TyrianFC View Post
    If by 'useless' you mean 'situational', the yes. Being melodramatic only makes you look silly. All the talents are situational now and will be largely encounter specific as to which is better. It's up to Blizzard to design differing and unique encounters to let each talent shine.

The idea KJC currently is 'useless' is laughable. Maybe if Blizzard said every encounter in future will have 0 movement and be like Patchwerk 1.0 you'd have a point. Lets repeat again - it's situational - just like the others are. And that sounds like exactly the sort of dilemma/opportunity cost talents should have and force you into thinking about.
    "Useless" is melodramatic, but proposed KJC is pretty clearly lagging behind the other two in most situations.

As for it being strictly situational, that flies in the face of their stated goal of talents being both something the higher-end users could change per encounter, and the more "casual" users could "set and forget".

10+ Year Old Account
    i find 'underwhelming' to be the WoW lingo-term that is most accurate.

Certainly not useless.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Szarala View Post
    "As for it being strictly situational, that flies in the face of their stated goal of talents being both something the higher-end users could change per encounter, and the more "casual" users could "set and forget".
    No, I think really most casuals (myself included) could basically set and forget any of these talents. (Unlike in 5.3 where i can set and forget either KJC or MF; but can not get anything more than a strictly marginal [like 0.8%] dps contribution from AV.). Though as a destro player MF in 5.4 looks like it will be weakest for me.

And i think an elite player would know when to use each talent to its full benefit.
    Last edited by Grubjuice; 2013-07-15 at 06:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TyrianFC View Post
    If by 'useless' you mean 'situational', the yes. Being melodramatic only makes you look silly. All the talents are situational now and will be largely ncounter specific as to which is better. It's up to Blizzard to design differing and unique encounters to let each talent shine.

Perhaps not useless since it does still give a benefit, however it is useless in the sense that as it stands in this current iteration of the ptr, you will simply never use it for any kind of relevant content.

In PvP, none of the specs are going to take it. AV is simply superior for every spec by giving you the extra DS. Literally no halfway competent demo lock ever is going to take this version in PvP. Affliction doesn't need it since the damage shift to DoTs and haunt none of which are affected by it. Destro also doesn't need it since fel flame got buffed and you can't use it for the spells you really need it for, mainly fear and CB. So again, this talent is simply not going to be used in PvP. Maybe some very few affliction locks will take it.

As for PvE, the exact complexity of encounters nowadays is actually what makes the other two talents even better. You can hardly find a fight in which there aren't a few burst/Increased damage phases for which you don't have DS up, but taking AV will enable you to. Similarly, a huge number of fights now have adds and aoe phases for which MF will be better.

Just keep in mind that the true value of KJC is the dps value of taking it minus what you're losing out by not taking the other talents. If KJC gives say a 10k dps increase on a fight, what's the dps increase of taking AV or MF. You also have to take into consideration that locks aren't old school arcane mages. We already have a pretty decent damage potential while moving without the talent. So really, how much extra dps does being able to channel something like MG while moving give over simply playing the way you used to? You know, refreshing DoTs while moving, spamming fel flame, stutter stepping. And then, is that dps really worth not having AV or MF?

Just look at the specs. Demo already has excellent mobility, KJC doesn't let you cast SF while moving and you either have to spam sb during execute or the talent does nothing for you then.

Affliction just had a bunch of damage moved towards DoTs and away from MG on top of the fel flame buff.

Destro just got a huge movement buff through fel flame and you can always time your conflags for movement.

So yes, you're right, it's not useless. It's just too far behind the other two talents to be taken by anyone trying to min max. It'll be nice for convenience since you won't have to think much while moving, but the dps increase will not be significant in any kind of situation outside of a fight where you have to move for 70% of it.

Can't believe you guys are actually arguing out semantics with me though. It's so underwhelming it might as well be useless. I've given more than enough examples for what I'm talking about. Stop focusing on that one word and read what I'm actually saying.
    Last edited by Kildragon; 2013-07-15 at 07:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

Just keep in mind that the true value of KJC is the dps value of taking it minus what you're losing out by not taking the other talents. If KJC gives say a 10k dps increase on a fight, what's the dps increase of taking AV or MF.
    but do we really have that information yet?

10+ Year Old Account
    but do we really have that information yet?
    We don't and probably never will have any hard numbers. Unlike other talents such as the grimoirs, you can't simply math this one out. Straight dps increases are fairly simple. Sac makes X spells hit harder, supremacy gives you better pets. Plug the numbers in and you have a pretty good idea.

This is different though. A) none of the talents are alike. One gives you flexibility with CDs, the next lets you cast your filler while moving and the last gives a huge AoE boost in a semi short CD.

B) none of the benefits are easily mathed out. One extra use of DS and a lot of flexibility. How do you plug that in? you can't really, especially since each encounter will change your use. Same goes for KJC, how do you math out group strategy or positioning? Even for MF, yes it's a damage buff, but only to a very specific toolset.

C) this one is hugely important, player skill. Player skill is going to be the main factor in what you get out of the talents. A great player will be able to dissect an encounter and say, dividing up DS usage for phase X and Y will probably be better than Z and Q. Or they can line up use of MF properly, squeezing every ounce of performance out of the talent. This is actually one of the reasons for why KJC isn't quite as good. Unlike AV and MF, where proper understanding of class mechanics, trinkets and such and encounters is going to drastically increase the value of the talents, player skill has an inverse effect on KJC. The better the player, the more efficiently he is going to be able to negate the effects of movement, lessening the value of the talent. For inexperienced players KJC could be a far bigger increase over taking AV because they may not fully understand how to maximize AV while their lack of experience is going to make movement far more punishing, thereby increasing the value of KJC.

So how do you figure out each talents value? You do what I've been doing. You look at the situations that the talent has an affect on, then you try to gauge the value based on the numbers you do have, combined with your understanding of the game, the class and the talent.

Now please believe me, I'm not trying to brag. I love the lock community, the class as a whole and I'm just trying to convey why I might have very good understanding of the way things work.

I've played both PvE (us #11 ten man guild T13) and PvP (2350 highest rbg cr, and something like 2070 highest 3s rating) at a pretty decent level. I've also always loved dissecting the game and arguing about it in a rational manner. So I hope you can see where I'm coming from with my current assessment of these talents. If you have a good counter argument I'd love to hear it though. Also feel free to ask me to clarify anything.