You can get pretty close the 50% mastery raid-buffed without really stacking it. Otherwise yes it's fine to ignore dodge if you want to maximize HtR while keeping good riposte numbers. I'm around 40% mastery unbuffed just going for straight avoidance. If you want max gain from T16 then going full mastery would be your friend, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Asragoth View Post

1) How do diminishing returns from avoidance work? According to stochastics, amassing one stat at the expense of another would be a more feasible approach:
    If I had 50% parry and 0% dodge, I would avoid all damage 50% of the time (50% hit chance * 100% hit chance = 50% hit chance), but if I had 25% each, I would only avoid all incoming damage 43,75% of the time (75% hit chance * 75% hit chance = 56,25% hit chance). Obviously I missed something, but what?
    Just to complete, you are assuming that the game check two times whether the hit connected, one for parry and one for dodge. The game checks one time (imagine it rolls 1-100, 1-25 would be dodge, 26-50 parry, 50-100 hit. And once it hits, it checks whether it's a block or not).

Just to add on to this. Because block is on the second roll, stacking parry or dodge reduces the chance to get a block, thereby reducing the value of mastery.

DR works by decreasing the percentage base of avoidance you get with higher actual rating. ie (random numbers) If you're sitting at 500 parry rating, adding 100 more parry would give you 1% more parry chance but if you're sitting at 1000 parry rating, adding 100 more parry would only give you .5% parry chance. This is the reason you attempt to even out your dodge and parry. Having the ratings close to each other will result in more net avoidance percentage than having one much higher than the other.

Quote Originally Posted by eddytheone View Post
    Well it depends on the fight in all honesty

The DTPS delta is so high just because of how simcraft is having that static dot at all times, in practice you will not see a change as drastic as that imho
    Its a more offensive playstyle but still pretty damn strong on mitigation as it does enforce maximum shield block uptime and only dumps unnecessary rage into HS's

I think it would be nice to see the option for both, one for calculating an accurate TMI and one for actual DPS simulations
    I'll take a look at the bosses to see what can be done. Maybe melee with a spell nuke and a react conditional on barrier would favor your APL and be a more accurate model of what we see in the logs. I'll think on it and keep you posted if I come up with anything interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by mongoose6 View Post
    DR works by decreasing the percentage base of avoidance you get with higher actual rating. ie (random numbers) If you're sitting at 500 parry rating, adding 100 more parry would give you 1% more parry chance but if you're sitting at 1000 parry rating, adding 100 more parry would only give you .5% parry chance. This is the reason you attempt to even out your dodge and parry. Having the ratings close to each other will result in more net avoidance percentage than having one much higher than the other.
    Aaaaaah, thanks for the info, now it starts making sense.

But are these real numbers or arbitrary ones? Somewhere I've read that the difference from stacking one stat over the other (i.e. parry for revenge) is below 1% net avoidance as compared to having them close to one another.

Between monk and warrior, which is better as the off tank?
    If warrior, should it then be crit>mastery?

T16 4pc or 2pc? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by senturion View Post
    Between monk and warrior, which is better as the off tank?
    Depends on the player.... and the fight?

If warrior, should it then be crit>mastery?
    What ever you're comfortable with, either a crit build, or a mastery build or like most warriors out there currently an avoidance build.

T16 4pc or 2pc? Thanks!
    2p the 4p is pretty bad.
    Odeanathus is one of those people who get's a job driving the special bus just to make fun of the disabled kids....

I'm still no sure what to go for. I'm currently going with a mastery build and have 85% mastery. But when i go avoidance build i would still have 50% mastery but the parry and dodge went up good. I'm starting on HC this week or next week so should i go avoidance?

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...intan/advanced

But are these real numbers or arbitrary ones? Somewhere I've read that the difference from stacking one stat over the other (i.e. parry for revenge) is below 1% net avoidance as compared to having them close to one another.
    They're arbitrary. At max level, the amount of ambient dodge and parry on your gear will be sufficient to balance out the effects of DR. I personally choose to keep ratings of both as close as possible, but that's only because i'm a nut.

Quote Originally Posted by Lintan View Post
    I'm still no sure what to go for. I'm currently going with a mastery build and have 85% mastery. But when i go avoidance build i would still have 50% mastery but the parry and dodge went up good. I'm starting on HC this week or next week so should i go avoidance?

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...intan/advanced
    I really don't see any reason to go with a mastery build atm, so far I haven't had any troubles whatsoever and actually feel safer with the ridiculous rage gen than I ever did with a mastery build. However, this is from a 10 man heroic perspective (11/14 HC). Although, going on what Gliff and a few others have had to say this holds for 25 HC too. I'd say switch to full avoidance and try it out, I'm pretty sure you won't go back to a mastery build once you've got used to the extra DPS (always nice) and awesome rage generation.

I'd also say I'd feel like a mastery build would be detrimental on a number of fights (while progressing at least, eg. Spoils) where the DPS you do is actually a huge benefit to the raid.
    Last edited by Big Zazu; 2013-10-31 at 11:07 AM.
    CPU: i5 3570k @ 4.5GHz | GPU: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 MHz | Case: NZXT H440 | Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX | CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 | SSDs: Samsung 840 120GB / Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750W w/ red sleeved cable kit Soundcard: Asus Xonar Essence STX

Armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Zazu/advanced

Thx for this, will check it out.

Special thank to Jassinta for the Signature
    Protection Warrior - Lintwarrior @ Armory

Diminishing Returns formulas are in Theck's post down near the bottom.

Recently updated coefficients are found in this post, also by Theck.

Stack Parry. The difference is gonna be a couple 10ths of a % but you get the bonus of extra revenge procs.

Perhaps it's just a WOL bug with the melee hit's not being counted or something but looking over my deaths overview I could not help but notice I was being crit over an over ???

Any one know why it would be registering all these crits? http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r.../1/#tab-deaths

As well if any of you have time to go over the parses and give some prot war specific tips on what I could do to improve then I would be much appreciative. It was our first night on him and was trying everything from swapping talents, glyphs to prioritizing S.block and sbarrier according to inc dmg... you know the "what works for our group" tuning but anything you see that I can do or am not doing and can help would be mucho appreciated! just a an FYI I'm starting as off tank, bringing adds to main pallie tank and taunting Garosh for his call and poping a cd rince repeat. in P2 we were taunting at 3-4 stacks as well ... empowere whirl with adds was generally the road block for us

Pretty sure its a bug. If tanks were able to be crit you would have a HUGE play base all screaming about it. It wouldnt be a little change in survivability. It would be huge.

It appears Blizzard made some changes in the combat log in 5.4.1. Certain abilities are showing as 0 damage on WoL even though the combat log records the event correctly. Exact cause hasn't been determined but my guess is they changed the event type on some abilities and also possibly added new flags that are throwing things off. Hopefully, the kinks will get worked out by next week. Until then, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I would assume its to fix paragons of the klaxxi, but this is most certainly a bug with the combat log. You won't be getting crit tbh

Hi guys, so I'm trying to clean out my deadly boss mods timers because it was starting to get annoying with so many timers covering my screen. So my question is, for example on Iron juggernaut dbm options, what is the difference between "ignite armor debuff" and "ignite armor cooldown". I have a hunch, but just wanted to make sure. Is the first one just showing the timer left on your debuff and the second one the cooldown until the next ability cast? I only want to see the timer for next ability cast, thanks!

Yea, that's correct. Debuff timer is fairly useless, I turn that off for every fight and just make a WA if I need to.