Page 44 of 125 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Ok i read all the new info to get omn par with my warrior. Keeping in mind that i won't be going HM anytime soon, and i'm going only FLEX or 10m normal at max, is it worth to switch from the old mastery build to an avoidanceone? As i understood, the damage taken is more or less the same (more RNG involved) and i can get a good dps increase.

also, AMR is suggesting me to go for orange full avoidance gems - but i see many go for full parry or full dodge. Any info? Armory is on sig.

You will take less damage in the avoidance spec and you will have a lot more rage to play with. On top of that you will have A LOT of fun doing damage, prot warriors are finally in a really good place.

Now gem wise it doesn't matter too much. Generally speaking you want to keep a good ratio of parry and dodge to minimize the amount of DR you have, but none of these optimizations will change your crit as your total ratings will stay the same. You can use the follow gems however you want;

Stats
    Name
    Parry Flashing
    Dodge Subtle
    Parry + Dodge Stalwart
    Dodge + Expertise Resolute
    Dodge + Hit Nimble
    Parry + Hit Retaliating

If you have more mastery opt into taking the non hit/exp gems to ensure that you reforge out of your mastery. Otherwise use whichever gives you the highest stats (for socket bonuses etc.)

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with.
    -Clampy

| Warrior Moderator | Protection Warrior Weakaura Group |

Quote Originally Posted by Gliff View Post
    How many healers did you guys use for that Eddy?

We went from 6 to 5 and still were wiping at about 70 mil so I believe we are gonna 4 heal tomorrow.
    Not Eddy, but we used 4 and healing was absolutely fine. Only had 1 shadow priest too.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozendekay View Post
    Not Eddy, but we used 4 and healing was absolutely fine. Only had 1 shadow priest too.
    Ya we only wiped to enrage so I'm assuming going down to 4 healers will make for a 1-shot tonight.

Ouch...

How many healers did you guys use for that Eddy?

We went from 6 to 5 and still were wiping at about 70 mil so I believe we are gonna 4 heal tomorrow.
    Yeah we just went with 5

Went with RP instead of incite last night. I was pretty impressed. I didn't feel the need to be throwing useless demo shouts on tank switches and the damage is pretty awesome. Switched out for rude interruption on protectors and Noru. The damage you can do on those fights in particular with rude interruption is crazy.

Using the tanks in top world guilds as measuring sticks is not always the best option but this really is the beauty of the moment.

You have the top prot warriors in the world (based on guild ranking) going mastery and some going riposte.
    Then you have Slootbag saying he is focusing on a Crit/mastery.
    Then you have all (that I have seen) of the 25 Heroic tanks on these forums saying Riposte.

There is no wrong answer. It's just what works for you. I love the playstyle of Riposte and at the moment it isn't hurting my raid.
    Pretty much. I think it's awesome we actually have viable options within the same spec. Kudos to Blizzard on this one.

Looking for some feedback on my warrior, recently returned to the game.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...erate/advanced

I've been doing flex SoO and will be starting normals this week. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Angrybathtub View Post
    Looking for some feedback on my warrior, recently returned to the game.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...erate/advanced

I've been doing flex SoO and will be starting normals this week. Thanks!
    Enchant your gear, take advantage of the missing Tinker, and get to work on your Black Prince questline. Tip for faster BP rep farming: Go to Isle of Thunder and the Diremoor zone, and farm aoe packs of Shan'ze Mogu and Animated Warriors. I went from 50% revered to exalted in about 2 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by idefiler6 View Post
    Enchant your gear, take advantage of the missing Tinker, and get to work on your Black Prince questline. Tip for faster BP rep farming: Go to Isle of Thunder and the Diremoor zone, and farm aoe packs of Shan'ze Mogu and Animated Warriors. I went from 50% revered to exalted in about 2 hours.
    If you can, take a healer and maybe a DPS if they need rep too. I was pulling about 20 at once, got from 3000/12000 to full exalted on all three of us in about 90 minutes. Use Disrupting Shout and Shockwave to help stop the life stealing thingy.

Quote Originally Posted by Naequin View Post
    If you can, take a healer and maybe a DPS if they need rep too. I was pulling about 20 at once, got from 3000/12000 to full exalted on all three of us in about 90 minutes. Use Disrupting Shout and Shockwave to help stop the life stealing thingy.
    Definitely!

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    also, AMR is suggesting me to go for orange full avoidance gems - but i see many go for full parry or full dodge. Any info? Armory is on sig.
    Because the net difference in total avoidance is so small that perfectly balancing your Dodge/Parry is only worth it if you're OCD about the math; for most people the difference is between 0.1-0.5 percent.

Ok, i had the occasion to tank up to iron juggernaut yesterday evening.

Dps has gone up by a decent chunk, and it's fun to have all that rage available. First 4 bosses were pretty easy, i didn't have issues in tanking. Anyway at iron juggernaut i started to take a lor more damage and going for full avoidance gems cut down my HP a lot. Is it worth to get some stam+parry gems to boost up my survivability?

Also: with hevay avoidance builds Shield Barrier is worth more than Shield Block, right? Just to know if i did well or not. My warr can be an alt, but it's not an excuse to play it badly. I'm planning to do the flex runs with him so i can get decent gear to be useful in our normal raids.

Most of the time only by using base stamina from gear you should be fine. It changes depending on your gear. If you are not geared through ToT you may need some sort of stamina boost. Trinkets are best for getting a stamina boost.

Even when using Avoidance you should never miss a single shield block, unless you are taking no blockable damage at all. Shield Barrier is just a bonus that you can use in the 3sec timespan where you cannot block or if you swim in rage. Just keep in mind that your SS will hit 50% harder aswell and it hits like a truck already.
    Last edited by zorker; 2013-09-20 at 10:03 AM.
    | Simple is beautiful.
    | Roth UI | Roth UI FAQ | GoogleCode | Zork | TDMOG

"I wonder what the non-pathetic people are doing tonight?" - Rajesh Koothrappali (The Big Bang Theory)

I personally put most of my rage into barrier on Heroic Iron Juggernaut. Getting full barriers for ever breath was pretty huge. The Monk i tank with was having to use diffuse magic (I think) to survive the 4th breath and Barrier alone kept me up just fine. At over 350k vengeance it's pretty sexy.

95% of the time 100% possible uptime on Block is the way to go.

I'm deciding between SBar/Sblock in the following way (even with an avoidance build):

x) "Generally" SBlock > SBarrier, unless...

-> Predictable heavy non-blockable damage incoming or
    -> Very high vengeance level (always keep in mind that SBar scales with vengeance while SBlock doesnt) or
    -> I'm sub 30%, no CD ready and the SBar may just buy the time to get me back up

So pretty much the same arguments zorker/Gliff already gave.
    Last edited by Tseng; 2013-09-20 at 10:51 AM.

Ignoring the magic damage side of things (as that's a pretty obvious choice), you should be using block to smooth the damage and barrier for bigger bursts (Like attacks that hit hard and scale depending on your debuff). With the amount of rage you generate as a avoidance warrior you should be able to do both very easily. I used to have to plan ahead (Remember how rage starved Horridon felt?), now I find I have so much rage I almost forget to use it.

There's not really much more to it!

| Warrior Moderator | Protection Warrior Weakaura Group |

Hmmm. At which Vengeance level would you SBar > SB? Is it possible to reach 400k Vengeance anywhere?

I have a damage taken spreadsheet to compare block/barrier (sort of)
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...FBkMHp0NW1abGc

It uses the new 1.5% for Vengeance calculation formula.

So avg. 1,500,000 damage taken per second (unmitigated) would net your around 450k Vengeance.
    Last edited by zorker; 2013-09-20 at 12:58 PM.
    | Simple is beautiful.

"I wonder what the non-pathetic people are doing tonight?" - Rajesh Koothrappali (The Big Bang Theory)

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    Ok, i had the occasion to tank up to iron juggernaut yesterday evening.

Dps has gone up by a decent chunk, and it's fun to have all that rage available. First 4 bosses were pretty easy, i didn't have issues in tanking. Anyway at iron juggernaut i started to take a lor more damage and going for full avoidance gems cut down my HP a lot. Is it worth to get some stam+parry gems to boost up my survivability?

Also: with hevay avoidance builds Shield Barrier is worth more than Shield Block, right? Just to know if i did well or not. My warr can be an alt, but it's not an excuse to play it badly. I'm planning to do the flex runs with him so i can get decent gear to be useful in our normal raids.
    I wouldn't change my gemming strat, If you're having health issues on a particular fight then try to double up stam trinkets. If you're lacking a stam trinket, the VP vendor out at the shrine of nuzio sells a low level one and i'm pretty sure you can get it with JP now. Juggernaut does alot of unblockable damage so I put less emphasis on maintaining max shield block and more on making sure I have a full shield barrier for the flame vents.

If you can get your hands on Rook's Talisman, it performs extremely well on this encounter.

Hmmm. I just did some more calc stuff and found sth interesting.

---- updated to the correct absorb formula ----------------------------------

350k damage per 1.5seconds

3million damager per 1.5seconds

Once you surpass the Vengeance gained by stamina (for 50k stamina that is around 350,000 damage per 1.5 seconds) your absorbs will become nearly constant. In this example that is around 70k Vengeance.

Basically a simple 20 rage barrier transferrs into a flat 42% reduction (applied past armor/def stance).
    A 40 rage barrier will reduce the damage by 84%.
    A 60 rage barrier will reduce the damage by 126%. (Thus 26% of that are still available as absorb for the next hit)

Spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...S1mRUZ6eV9IVWc

Interestingly enough a crit block and a 60 rage barrier net you 186% reduction. Enough for two hits and since block lasts for a while it will last until the third hit you will receive.

Absorb formula used:
    Code:
    absorb = max((attackPower - 2 * strength) * 1.8, stamina * 2.5) * rageMultiplier
    rageMultiplier for a 20 rage barrier is 20/60. For 40 rage barrier it is 40/60. For 60 rage barrier it is 60/60.
    Last edited by zorker; 2013-09-20 at 02:18 PM.
    | Simple is beautiful.