Hey Ho!
    This is my spreadsheet.
    Updated to reflect that!

Xpariah
    , Protection Warrior
    Xdh, Vengeance Demon Hunter
    Reckoning, Usually Recruiting
    YouTube & Twitch, Warrior & DH Tank PoV

What is the difference between going avoidance build as opposed to mastery build? Tanked Garrosh for our 25man kill this week and went avoidance, but i spiked a lot with a decent uptime on shield block.

Quote Originally Posted by Moarkai View Post
    What is the difference between going avoidance build as opposed to mastery build? Tanked Garrosh for our 25man kill this week and went avoidance, but i spiked a lot with a decent uptime on shield block.
    Check the OP of this thread.

Hey there, I main changed back to my warrior for this tier and I'm searching for the right path to take with my gemming/gearing. I had to take a break last tier for a few months so I'm behind on my cloak, but SOO has been very kind to our guild. I'm a 25H progression raider and my offtank is a monk with a DPS oriented build. Our healer core is generally weak with tank heals, so I've been following Slootbag's 80%-ish mastery gearing and I feel like my damage intake is extremely low (which is a good thing), however, I often have threat issues tanking with our monk because his damage output is so high. I would like to try the avoidance gearing strategy but I'm worried I'll be significantly more squishy. Right now I'm sitting at ilv555 w/o cloak, and only a Soul Barrier and the boots from Durumu left from TOT. Mostly, I'm looking for advice on which direction would be best for my situation. I would prefer to do more damage, simply because it's annoying having to chain taunts because our monk doesn't like to hold back immediately after aggro exchanges (before I can get vengeance). I'm good about intervenes for a small amount of vengeance as I'm about to taunt, but I can't keep up with a monk running dps meta and cloak.

Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Neroz/advanced

EDIT: Forgot to mention my alternate trinket options are: http://www.wowhead.com/item=94508, http://www.wowhead.com/item=94516, http://www.wowhead.com/item=96470
    I was trying the Juggernaut crystal to test it's healing, didn't seem to do very well for me though. Feather is 2/2 upgraded, rest are basic.
    Last edited by Zorenn; 2013-09-21 at 08:27 PM.

Deleted
    Mastery build doesnt really offer anything offensively, so you're gonna have to change to avoidance gemming or tell your monk tank to chill. There are not many options really, just go ahead with the avoidance build. You take less hits, but they are bigger which you have to smooth out with Barrier, you get a lot more extra rage so once you get used to it, there shouldnt be any problems.

If your healers are complaining just tell the monk is forcing you to gear avoidance and you have to learn. If he doesnt want to chill with the dps you cant do much else.

Gem avoidance, start getting used to it and leave your troubles behind.

If I post my armory would you guys mind looking at it and giving some pointers?

I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks for the input, I'll give it a shot for our next raid and see how it goes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiago View Post
    If I post my armory would you guys mind looking at it and giving some pointers?

I'd really appreciate it.
    Of course = )

Thanks Eddy, as soon as I'm out of rbgs I'll post it here.

edit:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Tiago/advanced
    Last edited by Tiago; 2013-09-22 at 04:03 AM.

Deleted
    Hey there = )

Basically I would say your char looks fine with the exception of gems in which I would strongly advise you to swap to avoidance ones as nothing really hits hard enough to warrant going stamina anymore and the gains you get from riposte in terms of DPS from avoidance gear are just too large to pass up

You should see a noticeable increase in your DPS straight away and will give you much better total damage reduction provided your healers are comfortable with you losing a bit of health = )

Talents-wise I would say they are fine and the enraged regeneration vs second wind is just honestly down to personal preference

If you have any logs of you in combat that might also be useful

Trinket Advice:

Hey all,

Firstly congrats to our new forum mods! Love the fact that 2 are Prot warriors, REAL warriors

I was hoping to get some advice on which trinkets I should consider using for SoO 10 man normal modes (heroic raiding isnt likely for some time yet, very casual raid grp). I have had a look over a handful of different prot warriors from the forums to see what people are using before they manage to pick up some of the nice SoO tank trinkets (about time we got some decent tank trinkets). I haven't had too much luck with collecting trinkets this expac, as I started off as a Warlock, and swapped over to my Warrior to tank early ToT due to losing one of our tanks.

My current trinkets are:
    Fortitude of the Zandalari - 530 ilvl
    Soul Barrier - 530 ilvl

I also have in my bags:
    Brutal Talisman of the Shado-Pan Assault - 522 ilvl
    Fabled Feather of Ji-Kun - 522 ilvl
    Gaze of the Twins - 522 ilvl
    Primordius' Talisman of Rage - 522 ilvl
    Lao-Chin's Liquid Courage - 489 ilvl

I have noticed a number of 10 man tanks equipped with some of the DPS trinkets like Prims or Gaze, but I am unsure whether that is for raid purposes or simply doing dailies/5 mans/older content/etc. Is the crit gained from these trinkets worth more then the reforged parry/mastery from the fortitude trinket? (keeping in mind that most of the tanks I was looking at were all 550+ ilvl in gear)

Here is a link to my armory if that will help
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...iosas/advanced

Many thanks!

Hopefully this is what you want, Eddy.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/1...?s=6366&e=6898

Thanks for the help. I'll be switching gems accordingly.

Hello, not sure if this is correct place for this question but couldn't find a "fix my tanking" thread like some of the other class forums have. I'm wondering how prot warriors approach Norushen's test of confidence. How do they deal with piercing corruption and burst of corruption? I read that hurl corruption can be reflected and with vengeance initially high from tanking the boss, warriors can kill the Titanic Corruption quickly. Is this the only way to pass the test?

Deleted
    It's not the only way, if you last the whole minute (ie, you entered without vengeance), you clear the test successfully. Piercing Corruption can be blocked and avoided, but not absorbed. The burst can be absorbed, and yes, hurl can be reflected. If you have really bad luck and don't avoid enough piercings, just use ER, or last stand+ER if you entered half dead. There is no reason to die in there.

Deleted

I have not been very active here during our progress in Sanitas. And yes, riposte with a bit more parry is what I felt most secure with. Love the new warrior, I completely skipped my monk for this tier as warriors have banner which is a pretty decent dps utility. With a little bit more parry and the glyph of Hold the Line, revenge is very very nice. I will report back later on when the progress isn't so stressful anymore! Sorry if this is blurry, I'm pretty tired !

Big grats to Eddy and Clampy! Cheers guys

So I believe we have our final answer about mastery vs avoidance. The last great mastery holdout has fallen. Sco is now 12/14H and stacking avoidance.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaritte View Post
    So I believe we have our final answer about mastery vs avoidance. The last great mastery holdout has fallen. Sco is now 12/14H and stacking avoidance.
    Him switching to Riposte build shouldnt have any weight on anyone else's decision. I'm gonna preach this all patch. Do what works for you. Especially don't just copy what the top ranked guild's tanks are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by ElChig View Post
    Hello, not sure if this is correct place for this question but couldn't find a "fix my tanking" thread like some of the other class forums have. I'm wondering how prot warriors approach Norushen's test of confidence. How do they deal with piercing corruption and burst of corruption? I read that hurl corruption can be reflected and with vengeance initially high from tanking the boss, warriors can kill the Titanic Corruption quickly. Is this the only way to pass the test?
    You can either survive 1min or kill the bad guy.
    I didn't know that Hurl could be reflected but that's great to know.
    Anyway, the basic strat for all specs it just to avoid the cone attack (move around him when he casts it), interrupt the interruptable thing and use some cd (SBar is enough, in NM) to survive the non-avoidable attack.

The only way you can die on it is if you take a cone attack or fail to interrupt the interruptable thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ElChig View Post
    1. Piercing Corrupt - Can not be absorbed or interrupted. Can be blocked, dodged or parried. Basically just use Shield Block before it to minimize damage taken then if you still have T15 Prot 2 set save a procced Victory Rush after to heal yourself. Prot T16 2 set should still provide some healing assuming it's the bonus I'm thinking of.

2. Burst of Corruption - Can not be interrupted. Use Shield Barrier to minimize damage taken.

3. Hurl Corruption - Can be interrupted and spell reflected. Obviously use spell reflect to end your trial faster.

4. Titanic Smash - Cone of doom appears in front of the Sha. Don't stand in it.

I've killed my Titanic Corruption with zero time on boss at start of fight and interrupting (derp) most of the Hurls. If you're still having trouble get a Flex group going to practice the fight.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sne View Post
    Big grats to Eddy and Clampy! Cheers guys
    Aw thank you = )

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gliff View Post
    Him switching to Riposte build shouldnt have any weight on anyone else's decision. I'm gonna preach this all patch. Do what works for you. Especially don't just copy what the top ranked guild's tanks are doing.
    Cannot emphasize this enough