Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Legendary cloak quest, tips for melee

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I got my rear handed to me last night trying to down Wrathion for the cloak quest. The biggest issue I had was dealing with the adds he spawns. They hit very hard, can only be kited for a short time, and I just can't down them fast enough in melee range before they kill me or they compound with his other abilities. Any tips from other Paladins that have completed this quest? I had an attempt where I had him to a few percent, but often the adds were just too much.

Our DK did it last night and said it was a lot of fun, but didn't give specifics.

I can't offer assistance with the melee one, but I must say that the Tank one was VERY fun. It was pretty easy, ofc with 538 ilvl, but if you were struggling with the melee one you could consider trying the tank one? It's mainly just "interrupt this, stun that, taunt now, block these". With FoJ and glyphed Holy Wrath, he spent the entire fight stunned anyway.

Anyhow, sorry I don't have tips, but there are options!
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the reply, I was actually considering giving the tank one a go. Might try that tonight before raid.

Deleted
    Use Seal of Insight, Sacred Shield and Word of Glory, not to mention specific healing talents ?

Quote Originally Posted by SirRaven View Post
    Use Seal of Insight, Sacred Shield and Word of Glory, not to mention specific healing talents ?
    As I understood it from our DK, there were waves of small adds. Which means killing blows. Which means you'll (usually) get far more mileage out of Selfless Healer for free, insta-cast FOLs with Supplication. Plus, Sacred Shield's GCD isn't hasted (sad!) and scales pretty poorly with mediocre gear and/or no vengeance.

But yeah, if you DO want to re-try it, I'd say run Selfless Healer (with the FOL glyph), and maybe even the WOG gylph (remember to use WOG after FOL for the FOL-glyph buff!). HPrism is also a great talent for extra AOE with the splash off of self. Can try swapping seals as needed, or get a lock friend to give you some healthstones.

Editors note: This is all conjecture and hearsay, as I've not done the actual encounter, but wanted to offer those suggestions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

10+ Year Old Account
    So, I gave it another go as Ret and got into it a decent way, and died. Tried again, died on first adds. Feeling like I wanted to throw my computer out the window, I went to the tanking one and did it on the first go. Go figure. Thanks for the input folks.

Deleted
    Got to agree the tanking one felt very easy (hurrdurr 536 ilvl).

Way I managed this:

use glyph of judgement and the 2 word of glory glyphs (so you can ranged attack with it and get a small damage buff)
    do not use glyph of exorcism

1) blow cooldowns and nuke Wrath until adds spawn
    2) run in a wide circle round wrath keeping censure stacked (occasional judgement) and use execution sentence
    3) use ranged judgement/exorcism on adds, finishing them off with hammer.
    4) spend hp to heal self whenever needed otherwise use wog to damage adds
    4) when cooldowns available, use extra hammers on wrath.
    5) when mirror image part starts, kite adds through them and use hotr/ds near images.

some of the adds will catch you up and deal a fair amount of damage, but you can use crusader strike on these, you should be able to survive by using sacred shield+wog to self heal

unfortunately the adds do not proc crusader so don't bother using flash of light

took me 10mins+ to get kill.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Utok View Post
    Way I managed this:

use glyph of judgement and the 2 word of glory glyphs (so you can ranged attack with it and get a small damage buff)
    do not use glyph of exorcism

1) blow cooldowns and nuke Wrath until adds spawn
    2) run in a wide circle round wrath keeping censure stacked (occasional judgement) and use execution sentence
    3) use ranged judgement/exorcism on adds, finishing them off with hammer.
    4) spend hp to heal self whenever needed otherwise use wog to damage adds
    4) when cooldowns available, use extra hammers on wrath.
    5) when mirror image part starts, kite adds through them and use hotr/ds near images.

some of the adds will catch you up and deal a fair amount of damage, but you can use crusader strike on these, you should be able to survive by using sacred shield+wog to self heal

unfortunately the adds do not proc crusader so don't bother using flash of light

took me 10mins+ to get kill.
    the WoG glyphs do not interact with each other. if you have the harsh words glyph, the damage buff won't proc if you damage with it.

Deleted
    I did it yesterday on my DK and it was fun! I might be mistaken, but I think he spawns those amalgamations with a cast which can be interrupted, if not just kite them away.

Remember it's not a burst fight, is being careful kind of fight

Deleted
    I kept trying to kill the adds from range and then move onto Wrathion. Didn't do too well as I ended up with real trouble getting all the images down during Inferno. I tried being clever in many ways and then just thought 'sod it' and decided to burst him down. Seemed to work a treat. My gear is fairly decent, certainly above LFR. That being said, I think if you manage to get a load of buffs from people and take flask (as I did anyway), buff food and potion, then it may well still work in principle.

Couldn't find any videos of the melee one on Youtube, so put my own up. Though, as I said, I'm not saying this would work for everyone. Can't post a link as I tend not to post on these forums. If you really needed to see, I entitled it 'Celestial's Blessings: Challenge of Xuen (Melee)'

Quote Originally Posted by Thete View Post
    I kept trying to kill the adds from range and then move onto Wrathion. Didn't do too well as I ended up with real trouble getting all the images down during Inferno. I tried being clever in many ways and then just thought 'sod it' and decided to burst him down. Seemed to work a treat. My gear is fairly decent, certainly above LFR. That being said, I think if you manage to get a load of buffs from people and take flask (as I did anyway), buff food and potion, then it may well still work in principle.

Couldn't find any videos of the melee one on Youtube, so put my own up. Though, as I said, I'm not saying this would work for everyone. Can't post a link as I tend not to post on these forums. If you really needed to see, I entitled it 'Celestial's Blessings: Challenge of Xuen (Melee)'
    very nice guide. and such a wonderful voice:P you should do more guides hehe
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    People on this site hate everything. Keep that in mind.

Did this the other night. I died the 1st time to the adds catching me so I grabbed LH for the slow. All I did was blow my wad from the start, drop LH on Wrathion and the adds and run around him while staying away from the adds. Killed him before mirror images even came out.

Rendella Retribution Paladin for Dawn of the Dead Zul'jin-US

The tanking one is so much easier than the melee one is (largely because the DPS challenges are identical, which is why DPSing on the move is such a priority, as it feels like it was designed as ranged first and then thrown at us as the melee one) that I simply changed my OS to Blood, slapped a tanking rune on a 2 hander I had laying around, and did it with ease in my DPS gear. I likely WOULD have gotten the melee challenge given time, but honestly, doing the tanking one was the more expedient route. It's probably easier for paladins given your self heals, but it's MURDER for death knights.

iirc you could interrupt Wrathion's cast (Cant remember the name of the spell) and the adds would not spawn. Without any adds the fight is really simple.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rauno View Post
    iirc you could interrupt Wrathion's cast (Cant remember the name of the spell) and the adds would not spawn. Without any adds the fight is really simple.
    You can't stop the adds. You can interrupt a couple of his spells and stun him at any time. If the adds spawned for you when he was casting something (or just after), it's a coincidence.

10+ Year Old Account
    I did this as ret after a number of wipes , I had to re-talent couple of times to get things right.
    1> burden of guilt - to kite adds
    2> Selfless healer - for insta/reduced cast time on flash of light.
    3> holy avenger - I ve seen ppl do with sanctified wrath..i guess its just a matter of choice, I prefer this for quick divine storms to aoe adds when I can.
    4> was using ES before then switched to Lights Hammer - Phase 3 where wrathion summons his mirrors becomes extremely easy with this ability...not only u get nice healing but the mirrors die soon.

The only interruptable ability is one where he spawns a fiery ground below you....helps if u interrupt gives you more room to kite easily, else u just have to improvise.

Started the fight with all guns blazing on wrathion, when adds spawned * remember they are inactive for first 3 secs of fight* so aoe them quickly. Avoid his cone frontal attack its unforgiving at times, he does this everytime he charges you. Always DPS him from behind for the 250% dmg buff.This goes on for a while and u have adds that u killed ressing back to life again....u will see a red beam of light on them....Kill them . Sometime now when u r dealing with adds wrathion will go into center and start summoning his mirrors....remember only hitting the real one will stop the inferno cast from going..the dmg u take from this aoe depends on the amount of mirrors u killed..the more mirrors are up the more dmg u take and vice versa. He will call the mirrors 3 times in succession before going into p1 again. U shud have ur 2 min cds up again by now.Rinse repeat.

Gz to your cloak of virtue.

Deleted
    Dont know but for me it felt really easy and i one shotted it. Didnt kite adds just killed them asap they spawned with selfhealer talent for instant fol and some wog healing. Popped CDs at start and he dropped down really really fast. Just dont take any unnecessary dmg from cleave or anything else and adds shouldnt kill you.

Deleted
    Tanks one is miles easier :P

Failed couple times on melee one, felt brutal so went to tanking, 1 shot it

1 shot melee one, just killed the adds. Meh. Joke content.
    Quote Originally Posted by Offhand
    I think this thread proves that in WotLK, not only has being bad and lazy become acceptable, but a defendable position and point of pride for some people.