Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Passion for the game: WoW Emotional Responses to Changes

I get it, I really do. People are passionate about their characters and storylines. No one wants to see a poorly written storyline. I spent the better part of the game as Alliance. I know what it was like to be lacking story. I truly do understand the frustration. That makes my next phrase that much harder to say.

Get over it. It is a game. It is a very old game which is lacking for fresh ideas. The devoted nerds who once brought us epic storylines like the Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King have long since left the building. The fan base wanted content cranked out faster and faster. Well, guess what happens to most stories when they get rushed. You guessed it. They suck ass.

There are two sides to blame here. The first side to blame is the hardcore player base for demanding content be released every 30 days. The second side to blame is Blizz, for listening to them. Had Blizz ignored the chronic complainers, and followed their instincts following Wrath, Cata would likely have been a better release and storyline. If the same people who brought us the greatest stories in the game be responsible for the slow and methodical writing and implementation of Cata, sub would have likely stayed at a higher number (10M example) and slow / planned patches through Cata would have kept the playerbase well stocked.

Faster, is not always better. I enjoyed MoP when it first dropped. Anything was better than Cata. Then, the tide turned. My appreciation was not destroyed by Blizz, but by the players. Every single patch had 200 threads about how something was losing 1% of its power, or how dailies are "mandatory", or how LFR sucks, or a hundred other ridiculous personal opinions. And yes... this is my opinion. To some it will likely sound like complaining. Honestly, I don't care. Anyone who is quick to toss the term QQ is pretty much a DBag and the reason for the decline in the game.

You want better stories? You want better content? Instead of complaining about the existing story, maybe protest the person writing it. They obviously haven't got the passion to write it all out. Also, protest the content developers. Tell them you want more valuable content and less "busy work" for end game. Be the change. Open up something constructive and dialogue it. Get it noticed. Don't be the guy that just belittles another's opinion and disects the post and replies to it in sections.

This game could be great again, if the right people are running the show and are taking their time with the support of the community. So, that's my 2 cents. Feel free to agree or disagree, but do yourself a favor and try to do it as positively as possible. No one likes the Dbag that just tosses out a QQ and leaves the convo.

The person writing it is unskilled and has been using cliches for a long time. Blizzard is very rich I don't get why they can't hire JK Rowling or Masashi Kishimoto, two very skilled writers

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by swagster View Post
    The person writing it is unskilled and has been using cliches for a long time. Blizzard is very rich I don't get why they can't hire JK Rowling or Masashi Kishimoto, two very skilled writers
    I agree that the story writer should be someone more passionate, but we want a great writer who has yet to be discovered. JK Rowling, George RR Martin, and others were great writers long before they were discovered. I agree that improving the story means improving the writers, but let's find someone new who will not turn it into Harry Potter or Game of Thrones

As I understand, what's happened at Blizzard is the same thing that happened with George Lucas.

George Lucas is very creative, but he had people who were there to keep his crazier ideas under wraps for the original trilogy, and that's how we got those fantastic movies. When the prequels came around, Lucas was still at the helm, but he didn't have that team of people to refine his ideas and we ended up with the slop that was the prequel movies.

Metzen's the same.

Getting new people could help. Doubtful that it'll happen, though.

If people really want anything to happen, the only way to get Blizzard to listen is to hit them in the wallet.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    As I understand, what's happened at Blizzard is the same thing that happened with George Lucas.

George Lucas is very creative, but he had people who were there to keep his crazier ideas under wraps for the original trilogy, and that's how we got those fantastic movies. When the prequels came around, Lucas was still at the helm, but he didn't have that team of people to refine his ideas and we ended up with the slop that was the prequel movies.

Metzen's the same.

Getting new people could help. Doubtful that it'll happen, though.

If people really want anything to happen, the only way to get Blizzard to listen is to hit them in the wallet.
    Good analogy with George Lucas. I agree. I think Chris M has just gotten off track with how the story should be written and could use the help of 4 or 5 devoted WoW Novella fans or authors of similar taste. If the storyline is amazing, the content patches will have plenty to live up to.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the entire premise of the thread is flawed because it assumed that players are more interested in story than they are in getting more content faster. They pretty much aren't. Most players want gear gear gear and only want the surroundings to change while they pursue it. Try asking a dungeon group to wait while you read quest text lol

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the story told outside the game is more then fine. The problem is they don't translate it in game well enough, though mists storytelling methods are a vast improvement over previous expansions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RicardoZ View Post
    I think the entire premise of the thread is flawed because it assumed that players are more interested in story than they are in getting more content faster. They pretty much aren't. Most players want gear gear gear and only want the surroundings to change while they pursue it. Try asking a dungeon group to wait while you read quest text lol
    Here is the flaw in that. When a story is written poorly, its content is developed poorly. If Blizz slowed down and took an extra 30 days for content and actually wrote and developed it properly, those who want the story would get a story, and those who want better content would get better content. It is a win-win. The ONLY thing that would have to occur is the player base being a bit more patient between patch releases.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't understand why people hate on MoP lore.
    Lore of MoP hasn't been this good for years.

Have you even played MoP? Don't say: Yes... after 1 month i quitted..
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

The thread is flawed because it relies on the assumption that the story is weak because content is being pushed out at a quicker pace. Have you ever considered perhaps that the talent is just lacking these days or the story is long past the point where it should have ended? Why do you assume that another 30 days would have made the story better? Why do you assume that more time = better story? There are quick writers and slow writers.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    Don't understand why people hate on MoP lore.
    Lore of MoP hasn't been this good for years.

Have you even played MoP? Don't say: Yes... after 1 month i quitted..
    Like I said, I enjoyed MoP... when it launched. Now, the story is just getting ridiculous. They are already jumping the shark by reskinning Garrosh in 5.4. I miss the epic stories of ICC and the Black Temple. Stories just haven't felt massive since Wrath, and I am saddened by this since there were some GREAT stories and patches up until the sundering of 4.0.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    I think the story told outside the game is more then fine. The problem is they don't translate it in game well enough, though mists storytelling methods are a vast improvement over previous expansions.
    Agreed, specially the part I italicized. The story is fine. It's not meant to be Game of Thrones or some sort of deep exploration of the human condition. It's a high-fantasy game with sci-fi and lovecraftian elements. I'd be very surprised if anyone playing this game for more than two years didn't catch up on the fact that yes, there will be clichés.

At least we don't have Jar-Jar Binks.
    Nothing ever bothers Juular.

Deleted
    JK Rowling is a skilled storyteller, but please don't confuse that with a skilled writer.
    Outside of the Harry Potter series, her writing is godawful.

On Topic: I feel MoP plot is well done, and pretty good at engaging the character. Vanilla would have failed at this pretty miserably if you skipped through quest text like people do nowadays.

Deleted
    JK Rowling.

Skilled writer.

Ha.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    The thread is flawed because it relies on the assumption that the story is weak because content is being pushed out at a quicker pace. Have you ever considered perhaps that the talent is just lacking these days or the story is long past the point where it should have ended? Why do you assume that another 30 days would have made the story better? Why do you assume that more time = better story? There are quick writers and slow writers.
    I mentioned a 2 part solution. 1) The speed needs to reduce and allow for more time to create a better product. This is only logical since most things which are rushed, usually crumble and 2) we need to give Chris M some new writers with fresh perspective and a love of the Warcraft Lore. Then, we might get a great storyline to follow rather than a re-skinned Garrosh.

Bloodsail Admiral Lethey Alexandros's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    My one gripe about lore over the past few expansions has been the underlying corruption theme. Why cant a boss just be a badass. I was hopeing to fight garrosh the unrelenting warrior, not Garrosh the man who sold his soul to an old god.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarithus View Post
    JK Rowling.

Skilled writer.

Ha.
    Sold millions of books and made Billions of $$ on Harry Potter. I would say that qualifies. However, I don't want Hogwarts at Stormwind, so we need a storyteller of that caliber when it comes to magic and fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    Good analogy with George Lucas. I agree. I think Chris M has just gotten off track with how the story should be written and could use the help of 4 or 5 devoted WoW Novella fans or authors of similar taste. If the storyline is amazing, the content patches will have plenty to live up to.
    Honestly, I think if they were to give Christie Golden and that girl who wrote the Lor'themar and Garrosh short stories strong positions in the writing department, the quality of the story would improve immensely.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Deleted
    Disagree, MoP storyline is much better than WOTLK and TBC (expecially TBC, worst story in an xpac).

---------- Post added 2013-06-12 at 03:10 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sarithus View Post
    JK Rowling.

Skilled writer.

Ha.
    Also this.

How about Tsugumi Ōba, he wrote Death Note and its easily the most thrilling and entertaining manga series i ever read, with so much action and smarts.

WoW needs not only a good story but a lot of action, too. The beauty lies in this symbiosis.