10+ Year Old Account

Advice on power supplies.

I posted last friday on an issue my computer is having, believed to be an issue with the PSU. After a few days of budgeting and planning, I'm just going to replace the PSU first and see if that works and then if not(hope it works instead of me going this route) then I'll buy a new mother board. My question is, I personally don't know how many watts I need for my computer and all the components it's handling.

Computer Specsi'm at work so I don't know the actual model numbers)
    i5 2500k
    ATI 7770 1gig
    16 gigs ram
    250 gigs SSD
    5 TB HDD ( 3 TB HDD + 1 TB + 1 TB: I do a lot of video editing work and tend to save my raw files...lol)

My original PSU was 850w and as of right now I don't really have a lot of funds to push into a really nice PSU. My price range is 50-100, I can add an extra 20 if needed but trying to save as much as I can for a trip I'm planning. Here are some PSU's i'm currently looking at.

Thermaltake 600w
    Corsair 750w

or should I just deal with it and buy the same one I was rocking for the past few years?

thanks in advance!

400W should be plenty with that setup.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

I'd go for the corsair 750w. They are well built and I never had one fail on me. Also, 750w is enough for your system... you could probably even go down to 650w to save a bit.

The Corsair has a higher potential efficiency, though that tends to be under high load rather than the lower load your system will be demanding.

Both of them are right... in theory your system as it is should draw around 400-450 watts so to keep in the 80-90% load you'd want a 500-550w psu. That being said, my psus have always lasted me through a few upgrades so even though its less efficient, I tend to buy one that is slightly bigger than what I need.

I'd get the Corsair one. They make really good PSUs, at least in my experience. I'd personally stick with the 750, as if you plan to expand upon your PC in the future, the power will be there ahead of time even though it's overkill atm.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldblank View Post
    Here are some PSU's i'm currently looking at.

Thermaltake 600w
    Corsair 750w

or should I just deal with it and buy the same one I was rocking for the past few years?

thanks in advance!
    Does it have to be some specific vendor? Can you buy online? There are many better options for you.

If the choice was only those two then grab the Corsair unit.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you're only going to run a single video card setup, then a 450-500W PSU is more than enough. Personally, I recommend the Antec VP-450. For how high quality of a unit it is, it can be had for less than $40. It's literally a steal for what you get.