Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    fx-8350 vs I7 4770K for future gaming/streaming?

    As the title says I'm wondering which processor that would be most "safe" for future gaming and some streaming? And no, wont get an I5 cause I beliveve the future will be based around 8 cores for gaming atleast.
    With the Xbox One and PS4 both being 8core, AMDs CPU doesnt look that bad for the future, sure they are behind right now in most stuff cause everything is made for 4 cores or less, but in 1-2 years this could change.

    I made the mistake of buying a 2 core processor last time, pretty much everyone said "no nothing uses 4 cores core2duo is awesome!", about a year or so after everything was optimized for sandy bridge and the quad cores... bear in mind this was in late 2008 when I bought the core2duo but still, dont want to repeat the mistake again, want something great for the next 4-5 years now.

    Ok the question below:

    I know that the I7 is better in everything right now, thats why it costs much more, the question is: will it still be ahead of the FX-8350 if games/programs are optimzed for 8 cores? If the FX-8350 gets the best case scenario, a program/game that uses all 8 cores, is it ahead or behind the 4770K?

  2. #2
    Computer parts are only expected to last ~4 years. My friend's Core2Quad is also showing its age.

    The i7 is only better than i5s in multicore optimized tasks, which does not currently include gaming. The i7 should still retain its lead over the FX-8350 even in fully multi-core optimized tasks. The lead will shrink though and is dependent on the amount of floating point calculations necessary; games utilize floating point calculations heavily.

  3. #3
    Games still dont use 4 cores so your point is rather ..yeah..

    The difference is that the architecture of the new CPU's is better and they are faster in any aspect than older ones, even if you buy a newer 2 core its faster than your 2 old 2 core.

    To your question..There is no comparison..You are comparing a 6-7/10 CPU with the 10/10 consumer CPU, cores or not.

    By the time consumer programs starts using 8 cores, we are gonna have 16 cores etc (You get my point), its pointless to look into cores.

    Also i5 and i7 have a tiny difference with each other and they are both 4 core, you wont be using HyperThreading on anything easily until 2016 simply because its not something that random companies/games do, unless your job requires it then yeah, you will use it..But i doubt your job is around 3D designing ;3

    What i am trying to say it, get the i5 4670K, if you really wanna spend your money, get the i7, you wont ever see the difference, 4 years from now or not..Well might have 1 more fps now, 3 more fps in 2017 on whatever you are playing because of that 2-3% power difference in games ;3
    Last edited by potis; 2013-06-12 at 07:15 PM.

  4. #4
    If games get 100% multicore optimized FX-8350 will be better. But on the other hand dualcore processors for PC came out over ten years ago and today 99% of games still use only one core.

    If MMORPGs (WoW/SWToR/GW2/Rift/FFXIV) is priority for you i7-4770k will be better.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2013-06-12 at 07:20 PM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

  5. #5
    Herald of the Titans shroudster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    netherlands
    Posts
    2,890
    with new consoles running 8 cores at low(1,9Ghz) clock speeds they still likely can't compare to a quadcore with a medium overclock (+-4,2Ghz)
    also intel has way better IPC which matters for mmo's allot.

  6. #6
    Are you seriously comparing a $349.99 i7 to a $194.67 fx-8350?
    Whoah, mmkay.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    If games get 100% multicore optimized FX-8350 will be better.
    I'm pretty sure the FX-8350 is only faster than the i7-3770K in integer heavy tasks like WinRAR. Games and such that are floating point heavy favor the i7-3770K, even after considering full multicore optimization.

  8. #8
    Immortal Notarget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Dark Side of the Moon
    Posts
    7,428
    Quote Originally Posted by benderer View Post
    Are you seriously comparing a $349.99 i7 to a $194.67 fx-8350?
    Whoah, mmkay.
    You can compare any unit at any price point, especially when you want to figure out what is the best bang for your buck. More expensive isn't always worth it, take the i7-3930K vs i7-3960X, $4-500 difference but for gaming and a lot of other tasks there is very little difference performance wise (not enough for most people to justify the extra cost) so yes he is comparing the AMD and Intel chip for gaming and streaming.
    CPU: Intel i5-3570k (4.5GHz) MB: ASUS Z77 Sabertooth (uefi 2003)
    GPU: Asus 280X TOP (1080MHz/1700MHz) RAM: Corsair LP/LV white 8GB 1600MHz
    SSD: Samsung 840Pro 256GB + Crucial m4 128GB (040H) PSU: Seasonic 620M CASE: Corsair 500R (White/Black) Monitor: LG 237L-BN IPS
    Current build! ||Old Build || Bitdefender Total Security 2014 || AV-TEST Jan/Feb 2013

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    I'm pretty sure the FX-8350 is only faster than the i7-3770K in integer heavy tasks like WinRAR. Games and such that are floating point heavy favor the i7-3770K, even after considering full multicore optimization.
    That is probably pretty high on the list of reasons why multithreaded games would cheat on math and avoid FP as much as possible. There's already 30 years of tradition from game programmers to take shortcuts for high performance over accuracy.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Games still dont use 4 cores so your point is rather ..yeah..

    The difference is that the architecture of the new CPU's is better and they are faster in any aspect than older ones, even if you buy a newer 2 core its faster than your 2 old 2 core.

    To your question..There is no comparison..You are comparing a 6-7/10 CPU with the 10/10 consumer CPU, cores or not.

    By the time consumer programs starts using 8 cores, we are gonna have 16 cores etc (You get my point), its pointless to look into cores.

    Also i5 and i7 have a tiny difference with each other and they are both 4 core, you wont be using HyperThreading on anything easily until 2016 simply because its not something that random companies/games do, unless your job requires it then yeah, you will use it..But i doubt your job is around 3D designing ;3

    What i am trying to say it, get the i5 4670K, if you really wanna spend your money, get the i7, you wont ever see the difference, 4 years from now or not..Well might have 1 more fps now, 3 more fps in 2017 on whatever you are playing because of that 2-3% power difference in games ;3
    since both xbox one and ps4 are gonna use 8cores and they are coming out this year, I'm pretty sure we will see alot of multithreaded games sooner rather than later, this is why im very interested in knowing where I7 4770K stands vs FX-8350 if both gets to utilize all cores/threads.
    most of the pc games we are getting are console ports and if they are made for 8core consoles its highly likely they will be nicely threaded on pcs aswell.

    so I5s are actually totally uninteresting for me, sure they are the best buy right now for games, but in a year or so i really doubt they are ahead of 8core/hyperthread cpus. I also wanna try streaming some and with an I5 performance suffers alot than compared with FX-8350/I7. I have looked at some multithreaded tests and 4770K are pulling ahead of FX-8350 slightly, the question is if FX-8350 has more to give in those tests or if they are 100% optimized for the FX.
    Last edited by pina; 2013-06-12 at 09:55 PM.

  11. #11
    The Lightbringer Toffie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    3,761
    If your planning on streaming and budget is no concern, get the 4770k. If budget is of matter then get the 8350.
    Can't decide? Wait for the new games coming out, BF4/Watch Dogs/Kill Zone and see If the performance is drastical.
    Steam Big Picture Mode - 4570 - GA-H87N - MSI R9-290 - 120 GB Samsung 840 EVO
    Corsair 250D - Philips 55 LED TV - Corsair RM 550 - Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB

    4770K - EVGA 780 Ti SC- Corsair 350D - V700 - Gryphon Z87
    Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB - Samsung 840 250GB - H60

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by pina View Post
    since both xbox one and ps4 are gonna use 8cores and they are coming out this year, I'm pretty sure we will see alot of multithreaded games sooner rather than later,
    You're quite the optimist. Will write same thing here as I did in another thread week ago:
    Multithreaded games depends 100% on the quality of development tools. Sony is well known for steaming pile of shit SDK for PS3 and multithreading is something very few compilers really support natively. It tends to be something that must be optimized by hand to get the best out of it. More likely is that for the first 2-3 years after the consoles launch you will not see many multithreaded games, instead the new consoles will run game in one thread, OS in 2nd thread and use the last 6 cores for the video streaming features both consoles have built-in because there already exists many highly multithread optimized video encoders that are easy to plug in. Also you need to keep in mind that most current PCs and Wii are dualcores. Those limitations will effect PS4/X1 development too.

    Quote Originally Posted by pina View Post
    I have looked at some multithreaded tests and 4770K are pulling ahead of FX-8350 slightly, the question is if FX-8350 has more to give in those tests or if they are 100% optimized for the FX.
    The thing is that FX-8350 is optimized to run integer math, ie things like 1+1=2 while Intel processors are optimized to run floating point math (1,1 + 0,9 = 2,0). 3D graphics and video display/compression for example relies heavily on floating point math which means AMD 8 core processors will never run those tasks too well no matter how many cores you throw at it. To be exact, FX-8350 has only half the number of generic cores running floating point math (four) so it really doesn't have more cores than Intel.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2013-06-12 at 10:09 PM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

  13. #13
    Just get a an i5 K model and overclock it to shit unless you're doing video encoding/3d rendering etc. As has been stated, your assumption that the consoles will cause some kind of sudden shift is unfounded and based on flawed logic, and even if it wasn't, the pure power you get from an overclocked i5 massively outweighs what you get from an i7.

    Spoilers: The main reason they have 8 core is because it lets them Stream + do the Duo OS shit without any drop in performance, and the difference in cost is fairly nominal when AMD are probably sucking their cocks to get their processors in consoles, which Intel doesn't care about because it already dominates the PC market in almost all sectors
    Last edited by Xs; 2013-06-12 at 10:17 PM.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    You're quite the optimist. Will write same thing here as I did in another thread week ago:
    Multithreaded games depends 100% on the quality of development tools. Sony is well known for steaming pile of shit SDK for PS3 and multithreading is something very few compilers really support natively. It tends to be something that must be optimized by hand to get the best out of it. More likely is that for the first 2-3 years after the consoles launch you will not see many multithreaded games, instead the new consoles will run game in one thread, OS in 2nd thread and use the last 6 cores for the video streaming features both consoles have built-in because there already exists many highly multithread optimized video encoders that are easy to plug in. Also you need to keep in mind that most current PCs and Wii are dualcores. Those limitations will effect PS4/X1 development too.



    The thing is that FX-8350 is optimized to run integer math, ie things like 1+1=2 while Intel processors are optimized to run floating point math (1,1 + 0,9 = 2,0). 3D graphics and video display/compression for example relies heavily on floating point math which means AMD 8 core processors will never run those tasks too well no matter how many cores you throw at it. To be exact, FX-8350 has only half the number of generic cores running floating point math (four) so it really doesn't have more cores than Intel.
    alright thanks for the good answers, seems like 4770K is the more solid choice then for the future just as I thought, bit of a shame really, would have felt abit better to throw some money at AMD instead of intels unlimited pile of money. but yeah the performance of the FX-8350 in some games (WoW, SC2) is probably even or slightly better than my 3.6ghz core2duo... thats bad =)

  15. #15
    Bloodsail Admiral Killora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    BFE, Montana
    Posts
    1,098
    Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    I'm pretty sure the FX-8350 is only faster than the i7-3770K in integer heavy tasks like WinRAR. Games and such that are floating point heavy favor the i7-3770K, even after considering full multicore optimization.
    The 8350 isnt faster than the 3770k ever. Not to mention the 4770k. Not even in well threaded tasks. The only advantage the 8350 has over the 3770k in multi-threading regard is price.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Xs View Post
    Just get a an i5 K model and overclock it to shit unless you're doing video encoding/3d rendering etc. As has been stated, your assumption that the consoles will cause some kind of sudden shift is unfounded and based on flawed logic, and even if it wasn't, the pure power you get from an overclocked i5 massively outweighs what you get from an i7.

    Spoilers: The main reason they have 8 core is because it lets them Stream + do the Duo OS shit without any drop in performance, and the difference in cost is fairly nominal when AMD are probably sucking their cocks to get their processors in consoles, which Intel doesn't care about because it already dominates the PC market in almost all sectors
    well i was gonna do video encoding.. streaming = video encoding/decoding, and I7 helps so much with that, huge difference from I5. thats why im not even consdering an I5, FX-8350 is way more interesting for my needs.

    ---------- Post added 2013-06-13 at 12:42 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Killora View Post
    The 8350 isnt faster than the 3770k ever. Not to mention the 4770k. Not even in well threaded tasks. The only advantage the 8350 has over the 3770k in multi-threading regard is price.
    FX-8350 pulls ahead the 3770K in very few tests, like Truecrypt for example, most of the tests the FX-8350 is behind the 3770K thats true. software tests that are heavily threaded it does fairly well in, it didnt beat the 4770K in anything though. It also did "ok" in a few good threaded games but didnt really beat the i5 or the i7 in a game.
    Last edited by pina; 2013-06-12 at 10:43 PM.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by pina View Post
    FX-8350 pulls ahead the 3770K in very few tests, like Truecrypt for example, most of the tests the FX-8350 is behind the 3770K thats true. software tests that are heavily threaded it does fairly well in, it didnt beat the 4770K in anything though. It also did "ok" in a few good threaded games but didnt really beat the i5 or the i7 in a game.
    Truecrypyt, winzip etc are relying heavily on integer math and shine with FX-8350 but as you can see for yourself, the benchmarks where i7-3770k is worse are really rare.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Truecrypyt, winzip etc are relying heavily on integer math and shine with FX-8350 but as you can see for yourself, the benchmarks where i7-3770k is worse are really rare.
    yes you are right about that, those tests maybe actually favored the FX-8350 abit then. I'm still kinda impressed with the FX-8350 for being so competent at this price, but it looks like im gonna spend another 150 dollars on the I7 4770K, I got a job and got the money to spare, and do want to have a very good setup for the coming 4-5 years.

  19. #19
    Stood in the Fire slasher0161's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    North QLD, Australia
    Posts
    425
    Just a thing to double check before getting carried away with streaming is bandwidth (which isn't a problem for most but if you are in a country like Australia you are boned [for the most part]) and also the cooling you are putting on your cpu if your bumping overclocked the haswell chips run fairly hot so make sure the rig is appropriately cooled (alternatively i5 + capture card seems to work fairly well).

    Basicly just consider all options before diving into it, even if money isn't an issue its still good practice to weigh up cost benefit.
    Personal rig:
    • i5-3570k (4.2ghz) || CM hyper 212 evo || Asrock extreme 4 || Corsair (2 x 4gb 1600mhz) ram
    • Samsung 840 (120gb) || WD blue 1tb || WD green 1tb
    • Powercolor 7870xt || Silverstone strider 500w ||NZXT source 210

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by slasher0161 View Post
    Just a thing to double check before getting carried away with streaming is bandwidth (which isn't a problem for most but if you are in a country like Australia you are boned [for the most part]) and also the cooling you are putting on your cpu if your bumping overclocked the haswell chips run fairly hot so make sure the rig is appropriately cooled (alternatively i5 + capture card seems to work fairly well).

    Basicly just consider all options before diving into it, even if money isn't an issue its still good practice to weigh up cost benefit.
    thanks for input, thankfully i live in sweden with a 100mbit connection so thats not a problem, I have heard that the haswells tend to get very hot if you press them too high, probably wont get them much higher than 4ghz before running into problems, and thats with a HXX from corsair, so im prepared for that aswell =)
    Last edited by pina; 2013-06-13 at 10:57 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •