Deleted

Intellect VS Mastery gems?

What is the best stat for Restoration Druids when we are talking about throughput gems at higher gear levels?
    There are many people with alot of different thoughts about this discussion.
    Some people go for as much intellect as possible and some people think Mastery is better because it scales better at higher gear levels.

So i did a bit of nabkin maths here.

480 mastery rating adds 1% to our Harmony bonus and our mastery is a flat increase to all our healing spells and it has basically a 100% uptime.
    Intellect provides 1% Spellpower per point and 0.00039% to crit per point.

[Brilliant Primordial Ruby] +160 Intellect wil provide 160 more SP and 0.0624 crit rating.

1/480 would be a 0.00208% increase to our healing.
    0.00208*320=0.6656, that would roughly be a 0.67% to our healing.
    [Fractured Sun's Radiance] +320 Mastery will provide 0.67% to our healing.

So that would be 160SP VS 0.067% to our mastery?

Sorry if i got things completely wrong here but i am trying to figure out what would be better to gem?
    Last edited by mmoc2ca68ff3d4; 2013-06-12 at 09:31 PM.

You forgot to mention your spec.

Deleted
    Right...Restoration is the spec i am talking about.

Deleted
    its been mentioned loads.

i use spirit/mastery for blue and int/mastery for red/yellow sockets.
    I do this, keep to around 12k spirit and this is because i dps with HOTW quite a bit, and also throw alot of wraths in when im not healing...
    Mastery stacked is best if u do nothing but heal.

Deleted
    Could you give me a specific reason and calculations?

2 Mastery > 1 Int > 2 Spirit

That's the basic idea and will give you the best healing throughput. For detailed reasoning see the other recent threads on that topic.

There've been some posts here and on EJ about and there is a formula that looks at your fully raid buff spellpower versus mastery and tells you which one is better to gem for. you can prolly try and search for the relavent threads (i think it was like page 32 or 33 on the resto page at EJ).

In general, the inflection point was around 23k-25k spellpower (fully raid buffed). Beyond that point when gemming, 2 mastery was more throughput than 1 intellect. Basically if you had 496 gear or higher you are most likely past that point.

TL/DR at current gear levels 2 mastery > 1 int in terms of output.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mastery also has a soft cap out at higher gear levels. Our stat priority at higher levels is kind of a clusterfuck due to having so many variables. Dendrek did the math on it before but I can't find it.

I've also seen math showing that the difference between pure int, int/mastery, and pure mastery is so minimal you won't even see a difference. I've seen top druids run pure int in reds, I've seen them run int/mastery in red and yellows, and I don't think I've ever seen anyone run pure mastery in yellow while it should in theory be great in yellows.

In the SP calculations someone brought up that Int can't be reforged into and also effects crit, which will devalue those numbers. Hamlet agreed but looking it doesn't seem he ever ended up mathing it out(new patch info had just come out).

In the end, I don't think we've had enough math to truly know what gem is best for red or yellow sockets atm due to the difference being so minimal. The only thing I think has been supported by all sides is using pure int when you use JC gems.