Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    How about going in slightly different direction?

In Russia, public harmony and public consensus gets priority over special interests groups. Any special interests group.

This law is another example. It started from LGBT rights activists disrupting public order (by doing things that had furious parents complaining to city Duma), and eventually led to this particular set of bans once public consensus over what would preserve harmony was reached.
    Amazing. The text of the law was cited here at least twice, yet all russians who come here to protect it, say: "HAY GUSY Y U ANGRY WE YUST BANZ DEM GAY PARADZ".

Well, let's do this again:

Пропаганда нетрадиционных сексуальных отношений среди несовершеннолетних, выразившаяся в распространении информации, направленной на формирование у несовершеннолетних нетрадиционных сексуальных установок, привлекательности нетрадиционных сексуальных отношений, искаженного представления о социальной равноценности традиционных и нетрадиционных сексуальных отношений, либо навязывание информации о нетрадиционных сексуальных отношениях, вызывающей интерес к таким отношениям, если эти действия не содержат уголовно наказуемого деяния
    Last edited by Mithfin; 2013-06-17 at 10:54 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    That's nonsense. He's directly insulting everyone that's not completely heterosexual. There's nothing fundamentally different about saying, "you're abnormal, broken, and evil" and saying, "all people in the group you belong to are abnormal, broken, and evil".
    Exactly. While in this exact thread I got an infraction for calling homophobes ignorant bigots.
    So he can insult a group of people I belong to but I can't do the same to his group.
    This moderation is so inconsistent it's insulting.

Quote Originally Posted by masteryuri View Post
    Exactly. While in this exact thread I got an infraction for calling homophobes ignorant bigots.
    So he can insult a group of people I belong to but I can't do the same to his group.
    There's some humour to be found in so many people trying to use reason and logic to communicate with inherently unreasonable people.

It's like when Jean-Luc Picard tries to speak amicably with the Borg.

Quote Originally Posted by masteryuri View Post

Here is my advice to you.
    stop posting in this thread, dont even look at it, because it will piss you off OR:
    Take a deep breath and step back, collect your issue and shoot it up the ladder.
    Note tho, your cutting down family, for the sake of misplaced Indignation.

Personally, I think all this thread does is smoke out People living in the world, today, vs people living in the world in the 50s, and it makes the latter, look pretty fucking stupid.
    Last edited by Tastyfish; 2013-06-17 at 11:22 AM.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Well, then don't be surprised when people do choose blatant discrimination (easy) instead of equality for all (not easy at all).
    Because it's so hard to let people love whoever they want to love.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiili View Post
    Because it's so hard to let people love whoever they want to love.
    Actually it is. On paper it's simple. In action it's hard.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Quote Originally Posted by moogogaipan View Post
    Explain this to me like I'm your six year old.

Deleted
    Do explain how it is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post
    Explain this to me like I'm your six year old.
    People have a lot of brainwashing and fear to work threw.
    We expect people to be brave and work past their own personal fear to accept something they are threatened by. People in general are not brave unless they have to be, thats why you see these people dig their heels in the sand over the stupidest, logic defying things.
    Eventually, that can be countered by just living among normal gay folks, you know co existence is the best cure for irrational shit.

There is that faction of the population that has power, that needs things to not be smoothed out too.
    What are your screaming fear mongers high on attention going to do when they can't get their fix by pulling on the strings that use our own distrust and fear of things different against us going to do? (EDIT: We are still using propaganda and fear from the 50's against the Chinese ) What will happen to all the, "allies' who no longer need to fight?
    We are not even at the stage yet where our allies feel comfortable calling out segments of the gay population for being whores and bad examples, for fear of being called homophobes, it's going to be very hard for people to just leave us alone.
    Last edited by Tastyfish; 2013-06-17 at 11:44 AM.

Well you say that, but in my experience of life the moment they find out what your sexual interests are they dismiss you entirely as a human being.
    __

I know what you're getting at, and maybe I'm just jaded, but the moral code these people adhere to isn't going to change.
    Thank you though, a more thorough understanding of your perspective is nice to have in the conversation.

Deleted
    Good, I wouldn't want my children educated about 2 men kissing and why its natural at an early age, GG WP Russia.

Well you say that, but in my experience of life the moment they find out what your sexual interests are they dismiss you entirely as a human being..
    People are stupid and stupid people are mean.
    We should all live by a modifed version of Voltaire's classic words.
    "I do not agree with what you do, but I will defend to the death your rite to do it"

---------- Post added 2013-06-17 at 12:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by lunarpower View Post
    Good, I wouldn't want my children educated about 2 men kissing and why its natural at an early age, GG WP Russia.
    Don't be stupid.
    Your fear of gay people is pretty obvious, and is affecting your ability to logic.
    Your Logic gives me this: you should prob have your kids taken away because if you ever kiss them, you are a pedophile because 2 of the same sex kissing is not natural, like pedophilia. Crazy rite? It's stupid to assume that children would be explained gay sex too.. LOL Yea the 5 yearolds are learing about anal sex.
    I dread the conversation in your house about why people have different color skin, cause it would never just be about how different parts of the world require people to have different shades to surivive. Clearly that be too hard, seeing at the only way to tell a child about 2 guys kissing would be something way beyond their years as the explimation.
    Last edited by Tastyfish; 2013-06-17 at 12:07 PM.

Deleted
    People are stupid and stupid people are mean.
    We should all live by a modifed version of Voltaire's classic words.
    "I do not agree with what you do, but I will defend to the death your rite to do it"

---------- Post added 2013-06-17 at 12:01 PM ----------

Don't be stupid.
    Your fear of gay people is pretty obvious, and is affecting your ability to logic.
    Your Logic gives me this: you should prob have your kids taken away because if you ever kiss them, you are a pedophile because 2 of the same sex kissing is not natural, like pedophilia. Crazy rite? It's stupid to assume that children would be explained gay sex too.. LOL Yea the 5 yearolds are learing about anal sex.
    I dread the conversation in your house about why people have different color skin, cause it would never just be about how different parts of the world require people to have different shades to surivive.
    Daddy why are those 2 men kissing?

It's genetic.

Really that hard to say?

It's genetic.

Really that hard to say?
    Except the part about it not being genetic.

Deleted
    Except the part about it not being genetic.
    Well it is...

It's genetic.

Really that hard to say?
    Some boys like boys, some girls like girls, that's just how they are.
    Done. ( the problem is that, in the normal rockwell universe you say, "thats how god made them" and you can't do that with gay people)
    Idk why people think that it should or would go into diagrams of dicks in asses in a class room.

We are getting so paranoid about non missionary heterosexual sex, it's going to end up causing us a lot more problems down the road then we are expecting. ( i feel like this happened before)
    Last edited by Tastyfish; 2013-06-17 at 12:15 PM.

Well it is...
    I ride a Chimera to school, and a Pegasus to work.

:|

A *plausible* hypothesis regarding epigenetics(which is very different) is hardly proof of your claim.

I
    A *plausible* hypothesis regarding epigenetics(which is very different) is hardly proof of your claim.
    Personally I have come to live with the idea that Homosexuality can be both learned and genetic, just like Heterosexuality.

Personally I have come to live with the idea that Homosexuality can be both learned and genetic, just like Heterosexuality.
    Try arguing it's not a choice with a fundamentalist when you like both.

Quote Originally Posted by Mithfin View Post
    Amazing. The text of the law was cited here at least twice, yet all russians who come here to protect it, say: "HAY GUSY Y U ANGRY WE YUST BANZ DEM GAY PARADZ".
    But it is interesting indeed. It's quite interesting to see how this law can be defended rationally simply using different initial position. Defending thing you don't necessarily agree with helps to expand your perspective on life - to see weak and strong points of different approaches.

Protection of traditional society is valid concern, even if current Duma is awful overall. You can hate them all you want, but this particular piece does have majority support. There wasn't even token resistance from other Duma factions.

It is also just extension of already active law aimed on protecting minors from harmful information. You know, the one that was already used to block "suicide-promoting" sites. You can also see it as semi-clarification of part 5.2.4 - "information denying family values".

Now, i do think "protecting people from information" (even minors) is stupid idea in general. But some interpretations of information can be banned. Just a fact of life (like some interpretations of facts about Holocaust, for example).

If you look at comments from Duma side, they claim "При доработке закона мы четко выбрали такие формулировки, что, например, если показан быт человека нетрадиционной ориентации, то это не есть пропаганда, она не направлена на формирование у детей каких-то установок, это просто информация. Новостные сюжеты — тоже просто информация, а не пропаганда. Если двое людей одного пола идут за руки — это тоже не пропаганда. И если ребенок ищет какую-то информацию сам, если ему это нужно, это тоже никакая не пропаганда, потому что нет целенаправленного формирования установок у детей". That is, they claim that you can show and explain a lot of things about homosexuals - information as it is isn't banned; but you cannot tell them it's "better being that way".

I have no idea if any activists actually promoted anything like that, as i don't follow this topic closely... but i guess some did, people do tend to get pretty extreme on such emotional and personal themes, as you can see here.