Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

Any way to connect a console up to a PC monitor?

Hi all, as the topic title says... I'd like to connect my PS2/Xbox360 up to my PC monitor, if at all possible. I don't have access to a TV, and even if I did, have no place in the room I'm in to put one. So I gotta make do with my desktop's monitor! By connect, I mean the video output cables. Is there any, I don't know, cross adapter type thing that I can use?

Sorry if this should have been in the computer section, wasn't sure but figured either there or here would be fine since it concerns video games.

Deleted
    Hi Mavecryst,

This depends on what inputs your monitor accepts. If you could list them we could help you identify your options. In most cases it should be possible.
    Also handy would be the resolution of your monitor.

Mobz

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm.. I believe it accepts VGA, DVI and DisplayPort. I'm alittle hazy on what those terms mean, but I can read up on them if necessary.

Also, the monitor's resolution is 1920 x 1080. I was actually asking around about this in several game stores/electronic stores but no one had any clue so.. decided to come here MMO champ is an unbelievable repository of information!

10+ Year Old Account
    Does the monitor support HDMI? That would be really easy: just need an HDMI cable.

The 360 has a VGA cable and they are not expensive. However sound could be an issues if your monitor doesn't have build in speakers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dj
    your a Gnome, how the heck does it feel to suck that badly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtacle
    Gnomes are awesome, and piss people off, how does it feel to die to a tiny pink puffball?

You just need a HDMI-DVI converter:

Then you obviously have to connect you sound by some other means. SPDIF to speakers or computer input is an option.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ha ok thanks guys. I'm gonna go look up SPDIF and other terms now first :P

Quote Originally Posted by Mavecryst View Post
    Hmm.. I believe it accepts VGA, DVI and DisplayPort. I'm alittle hazy on what those terms mean, but I can read up on them if necessary.

Also, the monitor's resolution is 1920 x 1080. I was actually asking around about this in several game stores/electronic stores but no one had any clue so.. decided to come here MMO champ is an unbelievable repository of information!
    You would think they could give you some advice at those stores... now there is no reason at all to buy from them. Better ask it on MMO-Champion and order what you need online .

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilian View Post
    You would think they could give you some advice at those stores... now there is no reason at all to buy from them. Better ask it on MMO-Champion and order what you need online .
    yup if a store can't help you with a simple question, then its not worth to buy something there. Gotta love it i am unemployed and i know this stuff, and idiots are having a job.

The HMDI to DVI will work for the 360. For the PS2 you're going to need something like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812200576 for component to vga or something like http://www.amazon.com/HDE-Adapter-S-...dp/B000Y7T5UU/ for composite to vga