Page 39 of 46 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by moogogaipan View Post
    The guy reads like hes a cocky 18 yearold highschool jock. It's clear in the words used, he's not as confidant or of the personality that just send nudes to a random person. Hes immature and horney.
    He's in his 30s and behaving like a childish entitled jerk. That was the point the woman was making by sending the picture to his mother. She was calling him childish. Do you get it yet?

Smelling blood in the water our female tears him apart.
    Yeah, how dare that bitch say no. Seriously 'tears him apart' is a pretty dramatic overstatement of the words "I didn't need to see that. I don't need to be disrespected by someone I don't even know", and "Fuck off don't ever message me again". She then mentioned his mom when he continued messaging to insult her. How dare she!

We live and thrive on the internet, we sext eachother all day long.
    But you just said;

Rationally, it's abnormal for people to just send Images of them selves nude to one another
    You might sext people all day, but many others do not. Among those who do I believe some sort of consent is usually the norm. Stop trying to justify what he did (not to mention the fact that you're also ignore the way in which he responded to her saying it wasn't appropriate).

Couple that with being on a site for people looking for what only is going lead to sex, it's not unreasonable to expect some asshole is going to send you a cock shot. It's not far off in left feild.
    The app advertises itself as an internet dating app, not an internet sex app. Again are you saying that women should not date? That if they do they should expect to be harassed and that is somehow fine?

It has nothing to do with rape culture.
    It has to do with rape culture because:
    - The guys immediate assumption that as a girl she must want his dick. And that it is totally fine to just force his dick (or pictures of it in this case) onto anyone regardless of how they feel about it.
    - The guy refusing to accept her making it clear she did not consent and instead berating her for her choice.
    - The shitstorm of victim blaming she's been subject to.

All aspects of rape culture because they reflect attitudes that are also used to justify and excuse rape. While obviously this isn't a rape (and nobody has claimed it was) the logic behind what has gone on here and what happens with rape are disturbingly similar.

It does how ever have something to do with shaming that guy, and building up attention for this girl.
    The guy should be ashamed, and the only reason the girl got attention is because the Internet Dudebros decided to get all hysterical about it and harass her enough for people to pay attention, thereby scoring an epic own goal. The girl has every right to write about her life and persona experiences in her blog.

why do you care?
    Because I was interested in finding out whether the initial assumption and then educated guess I made at the time was correct. Turns out it was, 10 points to me.
    Last edited by Windfury; 2013-06-14 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    So after skimming 40 fucking pages, it seems the only thing that people are even nearly unanimous on is that Capt. Dickpic was a moron? And we couldn't even get a total agreement on THAT?

Jesus H Christ.
    I dunno about you, but I can agree that he is a douche. Though, so is the woman... perfect match? Dating App said soo... might be true?

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerfiend View Post
    Basically, the thread ends with this; how can you call the actions of EITHER person an adult? You can't...

Feminism backbone is independence... then how can a full grown woman(citing feminism as cause), rely on another person to resolve a personal conflict? That is something a CHILD would do.... Again perfect for each other... even the dating site said so...
    Do you realize that every time you turn to law for support, you are essentially relying on other people to resolve your personal conflicts? So the whole fact that I can't walk up to you and smash your brains out because it's illegal simply means that the only reason you might be alive is because other persons resolve that.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Decklan View Post
    Males are victims too. Not as often.

The perpetrators of rape and other sexual assaults are overwhelmingly male.
    Can you please cite some statistics for that claim? You also have to mention how many males are imprisoned due to false rape accusations, and how many women got away with it because they used the "but I'm a woman and he mistreated me" or "he was a man and therefore he must've liked rape" excuses. And what about the males in jail who are being raped?

Quote Originally Posted by Windfury View Post
    He's in his 30s and behaving like a childish entitled jerk. That was the point the woman was making by sending the picture to his mother. She was calling him childish. Do you get it yet?

Yeah, how dare that bitch say no. Seriously 'tears him apart' is a pretty dramatic overstatement of the words "I didn't need to see that. I don't need to be disrespected by someone I don't even know", and "Fuck off don't ever message me again". She then mentioned his mom when he continued messaging to insult her. How dare she!

But you just said;

You might sext people all day, but many others do not. Among those who do I believe some sort of consent is usually the norm. Stop trying to justify what he did (not to mention the fact that you're also ignore the way in which he responded to her saying it wasn't appropriate).

The app advertises itself as an internet dating app, not an internet sex app. Again are you saying that women should not date? That if they do they should expect to be harassed and that is somehow fine?

- The guys immediate assumption that as a girl she must want his dick. And that it is totally fine to just force his dick (or pictures of it in this case) onto anyone regardless of how they feel about it.
    - The guy refusing to accept her making it clear she did not consent and instead berating her for her choice.

All aspects of rape culture because they reflect attitudes that are also used to justify and excuse rape. While obviously this isn't a rape (and nobody has claimed it was) the logic behind what has gone on here and what happens with rape are disturbingly similar.

The guy should be ashamed, and the only reason the girl got attention is because the Internet Dudebros decided to get all hysterical about it and harass her. The girl has every right to write about her life and persona experiences in her blog.

Because I was interested in finding out whether the educated guess I made at the time was correct. Turns out it was, 10 points to me.
    This first sentence goes right back in her face. She is childish as well, relying on a stranger for help over a dick pic. I thought feminism was about independence?

I like how you skip over me and didn't address my post. Yeah, don't want to talk to a person with logic and reason. Got it.

---------- Post added 2013-06-14 at 03:27 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    Do you realize that every time you turn to law for support, you are essentially relying on other people to resolve your personal conflicts? So the whole fact that I can't walk up to you and smash your brains out because it's illegal simply means that the only reason you might be alive is because other persons resolve that.
    Yeah, it has nothing to do with me being 300 pounds, 13% BF while being 6'2. Nothing at all.

BTW, nice strawman, wasn't my point and wasn't my stance, nice try though.
    Last edited by Jokerfiend; 2013-06-14 at 09:29 AM.

Nuance time!

The first two things you listed are NOT indicative of rape culture any more than a single theft is indicative of thieving culture. Repeat after me: A single nasty git does not dictate the culture!

Only the third listing (shitstorm of victim blaming) is indicative of rape culture.

This first sentence goes right back in her face. She is childish as well, relying on a stranger for help over a dick pic. I thought feminism was about independence?

I like how you skip over me and didn't address my post. Yeah, don't want to talk to a person with logic and reason. Got it.
    I'm happy to answer your posts and thought I did. This thread is moving somewhat quickly relative to me replying to it. Which post did you want an answer to?

As far as childishness goes I'm going to have to disagree, and I think her reaction was entirely appropriate (and hilarious) given the circumstances.

Obviously you disagree. I'm not sure where you want to go with that?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Celltrex View Post
    Can you please cite some statistics for that claim? You also have to mention how many males are imprisoned due to false rape accusations, and how many women got away with it because they used the "but I'm a woman and he mistreated me" or "he was a man and therefore he must've liked rape" excuses. And what about the males in jail who are being raped?
    Men are the overwhelming majority of perpetrators in rape. Even against other men. It's rather rare with woman rapists compared to men. Jail rape is bad but it doesn't happen in every country, some countries have got a real fucked up prison culture. In Sweden that doesn't happen.

The number of false rape accusations are really low.
    Last edited by mmoc506e44f6eb; 2013-06-14 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Nuance time!

The first two things you listed are NOT indicative of rape culture any more than a single theft is indicative of thieving culture. Repeat after me: A single nasty git does not dictate the culture!

Only the third listing (shitstorm of victim blaming) is indicative of rape culture.
    I disagree.

All three form part of the assumptions and understandings many people have and make around rape/assault/harassment. They are reflective of broader issues with entitlement, consent and blame that can be seen in most instances of rape.

And of course one person being crazy doesn't mean there's a whole culture. But I have seen enough to believe there's more than one person who has problematic ideas around entitlement and consent as well as with victim blaming.
    Last edited by Windfury; 2013-06-14 at 09:35 AM.

I disagree.

All three form part of the assumptions and understandings many people have and make around rape/assault/harassment. They are reflective of broader issues with entitlement, consent and blame that can be seen in most instances of rape.
    Absolutely not. Or if it is, we're living in a world that doesn't have rape culture at all, but rather 'crime culture.'

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralgarog View Post
    That claim is actually pretty accurate, even when taking into consideration the about (up to 17% by some estimates) of men that we falsely accused of rape.
    Quote Originally Posted by Semaphore View Post
    Nope. False accusations is roughly 2% of all rape accusations.

Writing and reading about rape: A primer. St. John’s Law Review, 66, 979-1045.
    "But on a statistical basis they appear to be infrequent, even less frequent than false allegations in other types of cases. The Portland Oregon police reported in 1990 that of the 431 rape and attempted rape complaints received, 1.6% were determined to be false compared with 2.6% of stolen vehicle reports that were false. A 1989 comparative analysis of data on false rape allegations reported a rate of 2%."

Study of Reported Rapes in Victoria 2000-2003, Summary Research Report by Dr. Melanie Heenan ; Dr. Suellen Murray
    "Only 2.1 per cent of reports were designated by police as false. The belief that false allegations of rape are rife, is therefore challenged by the evidence."

A gap or a chasm? Attrition in reported rape cases, Kelly L, Lovett J, Regan L., London: Home Office, 2005.
    "Nine per cent of reported cases were designated false, with a high proportion of these involving 16- to 25-year-olds. However, closer analysis of this category applying
    Home Office counting rules reduces this to three per cent."
    Is that so? 17%? Not likely.

I'm happy to answer your posts and thought I did. This thread is moving somewhat quickly relative to me replying to it. Which post did you want an answer to?

As far as childishness goes I'm going to have to disagree, and I think her reaction was entirely appropriate (and hilarious) given the circumstances.

Obviously you disagree. I'm not sure where you want to go with that?
    I mean you only to disagree without points? That doesn't sounds like a discussion, more like debating a belief. Which beliefs aren't grounded in logic or reason.

I agree it's hilarious. It's hilarious, that a full grown woman, felt the absurd need to bring someones mother into a personal issue, over a dick pic?

Wouldn't you agree that the "adult" thing to do would be to "ignore" the messages? She is an adult tattle-teller. I mean WTF kind of person are you to bring a full grown ass mother into, if you aren't married to the asshole? And even then it's absurd.

Deleted

I agree it's hilarious. It's hilarious, that a full grown woman, felt the absurd need to bring someones mother into a personal issue, over a dick pic?

Wouldn't you agree that the "adult" thing to do would be to "ignore" the messages? She is an adult tattle-teller. I mean WTF kind of person are you to bring a full grown ass mother into, if you aren't married to the asshole? And even then it's absurd.
    Just ignore it so he can continue doing it? What are you, condoning such behaviour?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiili View Post
    Men are the overwhelming majority of perpetrators in rape. Even against other men. It's rather rare with woman rapists compared to men. Jail rape is bad but it doesn't happen in every country, some countries have got a real fucked up prison culture. In Sweden that doesn't happen.

False rape accusationas are really often. To the point where the taxi drivers of some cities no longer accept women who are by themselves, due to fear of being accused of something like this.

Has it ever crossed your mind that men do not report being raped by women too often because they will not be taken seriously? A taxi driver in my country was raped and beaten by a woman a year ago, he reported it, and everyone made fun of him. "This guy is not a real man for victimizing himself", "Hahaha, you have to be lucky to get raped by a woman". I can link you straight to that news page with hundreds of comments, but you do not know my language.

Saying this, would you report these actions to the state knowing that the state nor society will not take you seriously? I think it's a waste of time.

Allegations and accusations aren't the same, and neither are claims.
    There are loads of claims of rape that don't make it to allegations or accusations because they're untrue on the face of it, which is also why asking polls 'have you been raped' are grossly unreliable. However, cases that make it to court are very rarely 'fake' cases, unlike what masculinist propaganda would like us all to believe.

The problem is that both sides are wrong. Both sides exaggerate, alter and fabricate numbers to suit their own agendas.

That was almost fucking 25 years ago to a minimum of 15 years ago. Can we get some up to date statistics?

Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Absolutely not. Or if it is, we're living in a world that doesn't have rape culture at all, but rather 'crime culture.'
    Ok I'm not sure if I'm reading you right.

Many people (not all but a lot) do believe they are entitled to sex, our western culture encourages that idea as well. There's an enormous amount of anger and lashing out directed at women who reject someone.

As far as consent goes are you really saying there's not a huge issue with that? Many people (witness the 'drunk = consent' convo earlier in this thread) either simply don't or just willfully refuse to understand how consent works and applies, and feel entitled to completely ignore it when it's inconvenient for them. Getting people to understand and respect consent is a huge focus of anti-rape campaigns.

Deleted
    But how do you know that with the little percentage of convictions ?

15+ Year Old Account
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_by_gender

Since only a small percentage of acts of sexual violence are brought to the attention of the authorities, it is difficult to compile accurate statistics. Often, the statistics of successful convictions are looked at lieu of this. The U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics (1997) stated that that 91% of United States people whose rape accusations resulted in convictions against the accused were female and 9% were male. It also stated that 99% of the people convicted of and imprisoned in response to rape accusations were male, with only 1% of those convicted being female.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_accusation_of_rape

You could try to argue some kind of position where men were overwhelming victims in sexual assault cases. You could try, but you'd look incredibly silly.

Can you provide some statistics about how many men get away with sexual assault because of threats of violence or other forms of blackmail? Can you provide some statistics on how many women are continually sexually assaulted because they believe there is nothing they or anyone else can do about it? Can you provide some statistics about women oppressed in cultures where women are second class citizens, and are bought and sold like animals?

You're not going to win any points by trying to argue that men are overwhelmingly victimized. Not to say that men are not victims, but this persecution complex is getting kinda silly.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Deleted
    False rape accusationas are really often. To the point where the taxi drivers of some cities no longer accept women who are by themselves, due to fear of being accused of something like this.
    False; see http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post21448599

Reality > your assumptions.

Has it ever crossed your mind that men do not report being raped by women too often because they will not be taken seriously? A taxi driver in my country was raped and beaten by a bitch a year ago, he reported it, and everyone made fun of him. "This guy is not a real man for victimizing himself", "Hahaha, you have to be lucky to get raped by by a woman". I can link you straight to that news page with hundreds of comments, but you do not know my language.
    I've never said it isn't a problem however you overestimate the amount of rapes committed by females. It's hard for a single woman to overpower a man in most cases due to the inherent difference in strength between men and women. Majority are still men raping men when men get raped.

Saying this, would you report these actions to the state knowing that the state nor society will not take you seriously? I think it's a waste of time.
    Why are you asking me what I would do?