Post Azeroth the "Blind Formless Chaos That Lies Behind the Stars"

Azeroth

This post is pure speculation and is not to be taken as fact however the evidence is overwhelming in my opinion.

I submit to you, the reader, that our planet we hold so dear, Azeroth, is not what we think it is.

Have you ever wondered why out of the millions of planets in the Great Dark Beyond Azeroth has drawn such tremendous interest of The Pantheon of Titans?

So what, or who, is Azeroth and why is it so important to the creators of the universe?

Let’s go back to the War of the Ancients, the great Sundering.

Ashzara and her followers being addicted to magic and power were naturally drawn to the Well of Eternity and eventually caused it’s destruction leading to the Sundering.. but what is the Well of Eternity? Some say it was created by the Titans, some say it is the blood of a fallen Titan (Sargeras in known as the fallen titan). I believe it is neither. I believe it is the blood of the “planet” itself.

We know the Titans created Azeroth, or at the very least they were there for the creation “At its birth, Azeroth was blessed by the Titans” So why did the Titans create Azeroth?

As a prison.

A prison to hold something so powerful, so chaotic and evil and sinister that it would seek to destroy everything the Titans worked so hard to create.. a universe of order.

I believe Azeroth is really Azathoth the “Nuclear Chaos” the “Daemon Sultan” the “Blind Idiot God” a creator deity "who made the (Old) Gods and thereafter rested” who “sleeps eternally” who if awoken “there will be worlds nor gods no more”.

This is why I believe the Titans want to avoid using the Reorigination device at all costs, as it would potentially unleash Azeroth upon the universe to spread chaos and destruction and essentially undo all the work the Titans have done in creating order.

So why do I think Azeroth is Azathoth? Besides the similar names of course..

Well let’s look at some other similarities.. Nyarlathotep, Yog-Sothoth, and Cthulhu are the children and grandchildren of Azathoth, much like how Ny’Alotha, Yog-saron, and C’thun are the children and grandchildren of Azeroth.

Still not convinced?

It is said the term Azeroth is derived from terms used by the first humans, leading one to think the humans named the planet Azeroth, however.. the name was used by the Night Elves during the War of the Ancients which only raises further question as to the origins of the word.

I believe there is further evidence of my claim when referring to the Titans inability to simply destroy or remove the Old gods from Azeroth, as they are the children of Azeroth and are essentially part of Azeroth in a way that any of the other races are not.

“Interestingly, the origins of the Titans is alien to Azeroth, while the Old Gods are native to it.” This leads one to believe that the Old Gods were always a part of Azeroth and that they didn’t show up after the Titans, but were always there in some way.

Further evidence can been seen all over the surface of the world in places like the Twilight Highlands, Icecrown (underwater in the quarry) and Vashj’ir were massive tentacle creatures seem to be rising up from the center of the earth.. Azeroth is trying to escape.

My theory ends here, as there is some confusion on my part as to the role Sargeras plays in all this. I initially thought Sargeras was hell bent on destroying Azeroth to free him, and by extension fulfill his own goals of spreading chaos across the universe, and what better way to do that then to unleash the “Nuclear Chaos” from his prison?

However it seems according to The Sundering the Old gods are apparently much more powerful than the Titans, even Sargeras, and according to the whispers of the Old gods to Neltharion (Deathwing) the Old gods do not care much for the Burning Legion.. "They are no better than the demons..." and "They must be dealt with like the demons..." support this.

However there is another theory that the Old gods have corrupted Sargeras and he didn’t just go mad from his own inability to do his job when he was part of the Pantheon, and they are using Sargeras and the Burning Legion as pawns to destroy Azeroth and set themselves free. “During the events of The Sundering, an Old God manifested itself in an attempt to salvage the summoning of Sargeras” seems to support this claim that the Old Gods have a vested interest in bringing Sargeras to Azeroth, primarily for their own purposes, although I’m sure they could find a good use for Sargeras afterwards.

Again, this is all speculation and is not meant to be taken as fact, it is just my opinion of ”Azeroth”.

TL;DR
    Azeroth is Azathoth

Thank you for reading!

I also posted this on reddit.. http://en.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/...t_lies_behind/
    Last edited by Zorgen; 2013-06-13 at 03:30 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    not an entirely new theory, but an interesting read.

Could it possibly be you were inspired by this article? http://wow.joystiq.com/2011/11/06/kn...is-of-azeroth/

Because it is basically the exact same thing you are writing, except this article was released 2 years ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty interesting read, not a bad theory.

If Azeroth = Azathoth, and the Titans "blessed" Azeroth, then how is that imprisoning it?
    Currently Procrastinating

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draenox View Post
    Could it possibly be you were inspired by this article? http://wow.joystiq.com/2011/11/06/kn...is-of-azeroth/

Because it is basically the exact same thing you are writing, except this article was released 2 years ago.
    Indeed, I had read this before. Theory seems plausible / would be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Draenox View Post

Reading that article....

Wow would make a creepy turning point if that theory would be true. Reminds me of horror. The goat thing and the sunken city full of mad things creep the hell out of me...

I love Old God lore and man this thread was awesome.

The part with Azeroth trying to escape really got me. I've always wondered what all those tentacles are..and what you've said above really makes sense now.

One thing that makes me sad right now...Blizzard would've probably given us a hint or it would've been mentioned in Warcraft Universe: Mythos. The way the lore is told in it makes it sound as if it is the ultimate truth and no compromises such as the theory above can be made.

Just putting this here, please add all the old gods you know if I've missed any.
    Old Gods I know of are:
    Y'shaarj ( what gave birth to the Sha )
    N'zoth ( what corrupted Deathwing )
    C'thun ( reason for the AQ raid )
    Ny'alotha ( no idea about him )
    Yogg-Saron ( reason for Ulduar raid )

I just checked all of Puzzle Box of Yog-Saron's quote and I'm going to put those of them here that can be foreshadowing something.

● Have you had the dream again? A black goat with seven eyes that watches from the outside.

This is probably a reference to another Old God. However, I don't think it is the one you mentioned. I think this is Y'shaarj with his seven heads which later spread into the 7 Sha.

● In the sunken city, he lays dreaming.

Has anyone actually gone to that place? I mean...if that sunken city is Vash'jir then maybe there are hints there? You can never know how far Blizzard can go with these kind of things.

● The fish know all the secrets. They know the cold. They know the dark.

This one is the most foreshadowing one in my opinion. I think the Naga/Jinyu actually know something we do not. Yet to see.

I put all this here in order to give people even more food for thought beside the OP itself.
    Last edited by Shinrael; 2013-06-13 at 04:01 PM.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    It would be cool, and as a fan of Old Gods and someone who wishes there was more lore about them, I think it would be pretty awesome. Sadly, I don't think Blizzard will take this route. It is slightly possible, just unlikely.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverrendy View Post
    ● Have you had the dream again? A black goat with seven eyes that watches from the outside.

This is probably a reference to another Old God. However, I don't think it is the one you mentioned. I think this is Y'shaarj with his seven heads which later spread into the 7 Sha.

● In the sunken city, he lays dreaming.

Has anyone actually gone to that place? I mean...if that sunken city is Vash'jir then maybe there are hints there? You can never know how far Blizzard can go with these kind of things.

● The fish know all the secrets. They know the cold. They know the dark.

This one is the most foreshadowing one in my opinion. I think the Naga/Jinyu actually know something we do not. Yet to see.
    The box is talking about N'zoth.