Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    There is a guy named Salty Cawk on my realm. He's been reported by dozens of people, and still has the name.

Blizzard doesn't apply their rules uniformly.
    Cawk alone probably doesn't even violate the naming rules. My current GM's main is called Nadz and he always wears the Salty title. He's had that name forever.

They don't apply the rules "uniformly" because if they went around policing every clever respelling of a name to look vaguely vulgar they'd have to hire thousands of people to monitor names 24/7. People view it as a game, every time they block something they try to find a way to wriggle around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Report the other 174. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    sigh... It's just a name from a movie. http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0002434/
    Little bit childish to get upset over it, don't you think?
    And it has the same vulgar meaning in the movie too. Sorry, it breaks Blizzard's rules and the OP just got unlucky enough to be reported. Care cup = empty.

If a video game developer removed tumors from players, they'd whine about nerfing their loss in weight and access to radiation powers. -Cracked.com

Had the character Migdetpron since 2007, no name change required. Just don't be a dick and reporting you doesn't get over into positive numbers in the Cost/Benefit analysis people do in their heads.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Supernova: Cause a pulse of Arcane energy around the target enemy or ally, dealing Arcane damage to all enemies within 8 yards, and knocking them up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Azahel View Post
    That's how blood elves procreate, since they don't have males.
    Why do you think they are addicted to magic?

I hate people with names like that, because I have to call them out when leading a raid. It's not funny, it's not original; it's just lame. Change it and think next time before you break ToS.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Cawk alone probably doesn't even violate the naming rules. My current GM's main is called Nadz and he always wears the Salty title. He's had that name forever.

They don't apply the rules "uniformly" because if they went around policing every clever respelling of a name to look vaguely vulgar they'd have to hire thousands of people to monitor names 24/7. People view it as a game, every time they block something they try to find a way to wriggle around it.
    My current server has a "Goo" who uses the Salty title...my old server used to have a "Liquid" who used the title.

Alone, those don't violate the naming policies. I don't know how they can stop someone using a title they put in the game, so that's why they're still there, I'd assume.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Personally I wish they actually enforced the ToS naming policy, at least on RP realms, more than they do already.
    this may sound douchy but im one of those that has a ticket up all the time, from the time i log on to the time i log off with names i feel break the RP ToS
    usualy report 10-20 people every day.

not sure if it works, but it sure as hell wont change if we dont want it.

Quote Originally Posted by pallyopness View Post
    it is funny to me that people complain they have to change a name that they knew was inappropriate when they made it. it is pretty obvious what will happen in the end isnt it?
    Truth.... crying no fair is quite funny on the OP's part. If you want, you can make 174 level 1's in the realms of those 174 individuals and report their names, but will you actually do that? Oh wait, this is WoW... some people have too much time on their hands.

Had a forced name change in Classic from Nerzul to Nerghul. Believe it or not, as complete warcraft nab, I came up with the name on my own (though wondered about one guy who whispered me "Lol, man...couldn't come up with an original name)

Still there are loads of Nerzuls around. Guess I got unlucky. Will I reroll on every realm to report them? Nope.

At least your name is also tasteless.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    One cause is a cognitive bias called projection bias. Essentially living inside your own head your entire life makes it exceedingly difficult to understand how others do not also live your same life, think your same thoughts, and hold your same beliefs. In many cases it's quite frustrating to try to empathize and understand why you yourself may not be the center of the universe, which generally results in one 'acting out' in various ways.
    So, in short: the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftech View Post
    That would be an "R" rated movie. Again, that is point. WoW is not a mature only title. There is a profanity filter and names like that get through it. It is inexcusable. Nothing childish about being upset when people break the rules to be vulgar. What is childish is thinking there is nothing wrong with behavior like that.

That movie was pg-13..........

OP, what's your new name and I hope you were able to pick a name you were satisfied with.

Annnd...
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftech View Post
    I was referring to the fact that jerks who name their characters like that think its funny to do in an all ages game. There is a reason why the profanity filter exists, and anyone that uses names like that to circumvent it deserves to get a permaban. I have a 5 year old nephew that plays WoW with me and I don't want him exposed to that kind of cesspool. Players like that are what gives gaming a bad reputation and the sooner they either grow up or get out of our hobby, the better.
    I haven't logged on in a few days, but I need to stop you there.

WoW is rated "T" for Teen. 13+, so you need to get your nephew out of here. He's what "gives gaming a bad reputation", as do you since you support this major TOS violation.

Secondly, you being included in "our hobby" doesn't make it exclusive to only people who share the same views as you.

And lastly, I've chosen names like that because no one really cares. There may be a handful of people who mash their report button, hoping to receive praise from the GMs, but for the most part, everyone sees it and either facepalms and chuckles. This however doesn't reflect any part of my general demeanor in life. I've worked for 9 years straight, spent 4 years in the military, almost have a bachelor's degree, work an average of 65 hours/week by my own volition, etc.,. So me running around saying I'm fisting pixels on the screen really doesn't narrow my chances of success in life, which actually matters.
    Mitigation WW/Brew|Monknasty Alt Monk (Horde)
    Server first (Possibly US/world first?) owner of a sweet Scepter of Azj'Aqir - Lightbringer (US) (December 9, 2010)
    Professor Oak [Modified] - Gilgamesh, World #2

imo all of those people should have to rename themselves to something more appropriate. however, blizzard obviously doesn't patrol names and if they do, then not very often. you were probably reported by a player who felt that your name was inappropriate, which it was. those players that share the same name as you may or may not find themselves having to change their names as well. just because they haven't had to yet doesn't mean that you shouldn't be "punished" with a forced name change. that's like saying a bunch of people broke a law without getting caught, but when you did it and got caught, you don't deserve to face the consequences. if you don't want to be punished for doing something inappropriate, then don't do it to begin with. you should be intelligent enough to know right from wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    Sometimes I shoplift chocolate bars from convenience stores... But it's ok because other people do it too.
    Do the stores you shoplift from have a searchable public database that lists other people who shoplift? It's difficult to know what's "ok" when other people are openly engaging in the same behavior and not being punished for it.

This isn't some random untraceable act by players. If Blizzard requires a name change of one player, they should do the same of all players with the "bad" name.

Fookyu is not a funny movie reference either..

The name was fucking stupid. As is necroing this month old thread.

No, no don't wanna be a hipster but a big star
    And I wanna see my name tattooed where your tits are

I had a 10k gold bet with a guy in my guild at the start of MoP. I bet him that he wouldn't make it from lvl 1-90 without being made to change his name. He named his toon "Ballsdeepinu". Turns out, I was wrong... It must have been funny enough that people weren't offended by it. *shrug* You win some you lose some. That's the risk you take when you break the ToS for character naming, which you agreed to when you started playing and every subsequent major patch since.

Oh the days my Rogue was named Fckface .... Then i got reported for being awesome ( outdpsin' everyone :<)
    Doesn't matter whatever picture I post here, "Scrapbot" will allways infract me for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    From Blizzard's site:

Obscene/Vulgar
    This category includes both clear and masked names which:

Are inappropriate references to human anatomy or bodily functions

Blizzard doesn't actively search out names that are inappropriate, it would be a waste of resources. It just so happens that someone got offended by your name and reported it. You may have seen your name as a funny reference to Austin Powers, but someone else might not have gotten the reference and thought it was just a rude remark. I mean, you can't be that surprised that you got reported.

Quote Originally Posted by Maelle View Post
    174 people?

That's a whole lot of unoriginal unfunny people right there....
    208 chose fookmi, 175 fookme, and 164 fookyou. I didnt try any other variations but I must admit I'm surprised at how many had chosen these names

My friend had to change his name, Bullshift, and there were tons of people with that name on other realms. He just constantly checked to see when it became unflagged and paid to change it back when he was able to.

Very recently, my friend was forced to change his rogue's name. "Targel". I'm still trying to figure out what was offensive about it.