Fake e-mail about Rift in distribution - SPAM

For anyone getting the below e-mail VERIFY WHO IT IS COMING FROM. If you click on anything from this e-mail you will get hacked

Wow. I got that email at 6pm my time, apparently. I just clicked on the email, saw it, then tossed it in the trash. I never click on any links in any email I get from anyone. If I see a link to something in an email, like the above, I just go to my riftgame.com bookmark and do it that way. This does, however, make me sad.

Deleted
    Just got this mail, I did click on the mail itself to read but I didn't click on any links.

(However, I don't even play Rift)

10+ Year Old Account
    I seen this and just deleted it, Good thing I did nothing with it.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

Quote Originally Posted by Bananarepublic View Post
    Just got this mail, I did click on the mail itself to read but I didn't click on any links.

(However, I don't even play Rift)
    Well this shit was obvious. It was sent to the e-mail not even registered with Trion. I forgot the official e-mail address that these come through, but GUARANTEED this one is a fake.

I got it on my yahoo mail, which isn't a registered Rift email (I use my gmail for that). Not really sure why I clicked on it. I went to my gmail Rift account, and didn't receive one on that one. So yeah, basically guaranteed to be fake.

You should do some research prior to posting on the forums. This is a legitimate address. I took the time to open he link on a test patch machine and it had valid links with no redirects.
    http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...tter-scam.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    For anyone getting the below e-mail VERIFY WHO IT IS COMING FROM. If you click on anything from this e-mail you will get hacked

Last edited by Sosuke Aizen; 2013-06-14 at 02:09 AM.
    There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't..

10+ Year Old Account
    I was about to post. lol. All of my Rift emails have always come from that address.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Deleted
    Well this shit was obvious. It was sent to the e-mail not even registered with Trion. I forgot the official e-mail address that these come through, but GUARANTEED this one is a fake.
    Well I did register once and played a trial, but that's it.

---------- Post added 2013-06-14 at 04:49 AM ----------

Hmm, wait, now I read that.... So it really is free?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bananarepublic View Post
    [/COLOR]Hmm, wait, now I read that.... So it really is free?
    Yes, it really is free.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

I got the same email from the same address this morning, looked legit to me(and I had made a trial rift account a while back), clicked everything on it and nothing happened. While I'm sure there are probably fake newsletters going out, this particular one is this a fake in any way.

Perhaps you should post some actual evidence before acting all Norton on it?

Quote Originally Posted by IRunSoFarAway View Post
    I got the same email from the same address this morning, looked legit to me(and I had made a trial rift account a while back), clicked everything on it and nothing happened. While I'm sure there are probably fake newsletters going out, this particular one is this a fake in any way.

Perhaps you should post some actual evidence before acting all Norton on it?
    Hope you enjoy your brand new keylogger.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    What makes it a fake email? The email it was sent from is completely legit.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    It's a legit email trion always uses.

Don't blame trion for getting hacked. Blame the hacker.

Wish Elrar could confirm. Maybe I did register this e-mail for a trial account like a year ago. I have never gotten anything else Rift related there.

Guys, it's easy to tell if it's a fake or not. I'm surprised noone has said anything yet. Just open the email and mouseover the link(DO NOT CLICK, just put the pointer over it). Look at the bottom of your browser or outlook or whatever you use, it will show you the true link. If it is http://www.riftgame.com/....... then it's ok, if it is anything else it's not. You can make a link look like it takes you where ever you want it to, just like on forums. You can mask an e-mail address in a similar way, so that it looks like it came from someone it did not. You know how you get mail that comes from a person's name and not an e-mail address? Well, instead of putting a name there, you can put the e-mail address you want to make it look like the e-mail came from.

I'll demonstrate the link part below.

Rift Free to Play Info

See, if I put it on a fancy rift backround and started it with Greetings Ascended, and masked the e-mail address to a @riftgame or @TrionWorlds e-mail many would think it's from Trion. In this case it leads here, in other cases, it can lead to a site that looks like the official site and gets you to put in your personal information, then just directs you to the real Trion site when you click ok, so you really don;t know wtf happened.

TD;DR: Mouse over links, see where they really go.

10+ Year Old Account
    I laughed so damn hard. You're wrong. Very. It's obvious you didn't take any time to validate your claims that the email address is illegitmate and you certainly have no claims to back up the "you'll get hacked" comment you made.

Don't use scare tactics on people when you have no viable proof. However, I will give you viable proof that you're wrong and this is a registered Trion Worlds domain, thus the email is legitimate.

Log into your Rift account's email. Search "triongames.com". You're welcome. You'll see all of your Trion related emails for any game you've allowed newsletters for and/or any old tickets, account creation and of course AAF notifications.

Also, you can not be lazy and check whois on the domain. It's registered and owned by Trion.

http://whois.domaintools.com/triongames.com

Trion Worlds Inc.
    10814 Jollyville Road Building 4 Suite 200
    Austin TX 78759
    US
    +1.5127677070 Fax: +1.5127677070
    http://whois.domaintools.com/riftgame.com

Trion Worlds Inc.
    Austin TX 78759
    US
    http://whois.domaintools.com/trionworlds.com

Trion Worlds Inc.
    Austin TX 78759
    US
    Good grief man. Talk about blind leading the blind, Puremallace.
    Rift Scene - Still the best Rift fansite.
    Cupcakey 5/5 EE, 4/4 FT

Damn, I came here thinking there really was a fake email. Then I saw the one I got as well... That's not fake, you silly OP!