Page 1 of 3
LastLast

What it takes to kill an Old God

So we all know that the Titans were unable to kill the Old gods and chose to imprison them instead of killing them. Maybe they were unable to because they weren't mortal. Maybe a mortal has to absorb their power and be killed in order to finish them off. We've all seen the video of Garrosh on old god juice.

Look familiar?

Last edited by delus; 2013-06-14 at 04:56 PM.

They were unable to destroy the Old Gods because they were so ingrained in Azeroth that the Titans would have to destroy and rebuild the entire world to be able to root out all the Old God corruption. That's what Algalon was in Azeroth to do: evaluate if the Old Gods had spread again, and if they had (as they did), call for Azeroth's re-origination. Read: complete planetary annihilation and reconstruction.
    Nothing ever bothers Juular.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by delus View Post
    So we all know that the Titans were unable to kill the Old gods and chose to imprison them instead of killing them. Maybe they were unable to because they weren't mortal. Maybe a mortal has to absorb their power and be killed in order to finish them off. We've all seen the video of Garrosh on Sharoids.

I think you may have your facts a bit bent. My understanding was that the Titans ''could'' kill them, but doing so would have destroyed or in some way ''fucked up'' Azeroth as they have become so deeply entrenched within the planet or some other symbiotic mumbo jumbo.

Naturally such a vague and open ended problem gives the writers plenty of wiggle room to somehow make us the players responsible for saving the world.

I

It takes a nation of panda people to kill an old god. And Garrosh is only corrupted by a sha, not an actual old god.

If we follow Lovecraftian nomenclature, then ever the world Azeroth is named similarly to one of the old ones... perhaps this was their world first.

Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    It takes a nation of panda people to kill an old god. And Garrosh is only corrupted by a sha, not an actual old god.

No. He siphons the power from the Heart of Y'Shaarj, which is an Old God's heart. It's Old God power; not Sha power.

It takes 10-25 random people

Quote Originally Posted by Syridian View Post
    I think you may have your facts a bit bent. My understanding was that the Titans ''could'' kill them, but doing so would have destroyed or in some way ''fucked up'' Azeroth as they have become so deeply entrenched within the planet or some other symbiotic mumbo jumbo.

Naturally such a vague and open ended problem gives the writers plenty of wiggle room to somehow make us the players responsible for saving the world.

I
    Y'shaarj was the one that they "killed"

15+ Year Old Account
    I have been led to beleive that this is the remenats of a died old god instead of a Old God himself, but maybe this is one way to 'resurrect' him?
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Holtzmann View Post
    They were unable to destroy the Old Gods because they were so ingrained in Azeroth that the Titans would have to destroy and rebuild the entire world to be able to root out all the Old God corruption. That's what Algalon was in Azeroth to do: evaluate if the Old Gods had spread again, and if they had (as they did), call for Azeroth's re-origination. Read: complete planetary annihilation and reconstruction.
    In other words, the Titans did a lazy, half-arsed job.
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    No. He siphons the power from the Heart of Y'Shaarj, which is an Old God's heart. It's Old God power; not Sha power.
    Why the distinction? The Sha is the Old God's last breath. Sha power IS Old God power.
    Normal is the name for the mental disorder present in the majority of humanity.
    Xinjun

Y'shaarj was the one that they "killed"
    And he hasn't stood back up so far. Sharrosh is just draining his meager remains. The Titans were perfectly capable of wiping them out, just not willing to pay the price.

10+ Year Old Account
    It seems like destroying the bodies of the Old Gods cannot destroy their power, and it lingers within their remains causing trouble, or seeps out into the world and creates monsters.

C'Thun lay in Ahn'Qiraj for thousands of years after the war with the Titans, slowing rebuilding his strength. Other Old Gods might be able to do the same if they are badly injured or their bodies are slain.

I do wonder what will become of the Heart after this... will it be destroyed somehow during the encounter? Absorbed into Garrosh? Or will it at best be re-sealed within the Vale?

So we all know that the Titans were unable to kill the Old gods and chose to imprison them instead of killing them. Maybe they were unable to because they weren't mortal. Maybe a mortal has to absorb their power and be killed in order to finish them off.
    What makes you think killing Cho'Gall has actually finished off C'Thun?

Quote Originally Posted by xinjun View Post
    Why the distinction? The Sha is the Old God's last breath. Sha power IS Old God power.
    The distinction is that the Sha are born from the Old God's power, while the heart is his actual physical remnants.

It's rather like how the Faceless Ones of Northrend are born from Yogg-Saron's saronite blood, while Yogg-Saron himself is a distinct entity.

Would you then call Faceless Ones not Old God power? I know that the Sha is not the ACTUAL god. I am saying that they are borne of it's power. Just as MegaGarrosh will be.
    Normal is the name for the mental disorder present in the majority of humanity.
    Xinjun

Deleted
    Actually the Titans were able to kill an Old God (Y'shaarj was confirmed being 100% dead), but they didn't because it would have killed every form of life on Azeroth as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Auxis View Post
    In other words, the Titans did a lazy, half-arsed job.
    Well, yeah. Apparently, reducing a world to its component atoms and then rebuilding it again piece by piece is sort of a last-resort thing for them.
    Nothing ever bothers Juular.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    There's only one being that can kill an old god. CHRIS METZEN!
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Sarix View Post
    It takes 10-25 random people
    Well, originally it took 40. Now it takes 1.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fire lots of fire.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Holtzmann View Post
    Well, yeah. Apparently, reducing a world to its component atoms and then rebuilding it again piece by piece is sort of a last-resort thing for them.
    They liked Azeroth for its uniqueness, I believe. They tried to beat down the old gods and preserve the rest of Azeroth more or less as is. Nuking it into oblivion was a last resort; something the titans deemed a last resort.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.