dps seem low for my IL

hey guys, first of all its only a new alt but i feel my dps is low a bit(493 IL and doing 65k on a dummy, without buff of course) ik keeping my dots up and mind blast everytime is up but i would understand may be one or 2 things

-when i consume my 3 orbs, it is better that after my 2 mind flay insanity i i try to get one more mind flay insanity or cast mind blast instead?
    - it seem also during i consume my 3 orbs, im not sure if i should do the 3th mind flay insanity and lose my dot for 1-2-3-4 sec

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...riestqc/simple

i have no logs because i dont raid with him yet

p.s im really good on my main, 5/13 HM, was simply trying to see if i was doing something wrong
    Last edited by ruggleee; 2013-06-14 at 09:50 PM.

mindblast>3 orb insanity>dots

try to recast dots before your 3rd orb generator comes off cooldown that way you don't have to worry about them coming off during insaity. You should recast them at the time your dots are at 8 sec or less before the 3rd orb generator (mindblast or shadow word: death)
    Last edited by Gindry; 2013-06-14 at 10:17 PM.

This has been a battle for me as well. Currently my Priest is at a 516 iL and I have to be near perfect with my timing to achieve ~92+k DPS in ToT. Meanwhile, the two Warlocks in my raid group are pushing out 120+k without issue. This particular raid tier hasn't been kind to shadow as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Miracle View Post
    This has been a battle for me as well. Currently my Priest is at a 516 iL and I have to be near perfect with my timing to achieve ~92+k DPS in ToT. Meanwhile, the two Warlocks in my raid group are pushing out 120+k without issue. This particular raid tier hasn't been kind to shadow as a whole.
    You just need more practice. 92k is low for 516.

I can barely push 30-40k dps on my 500 Ilvl spriest half the time. Something wrong with this class and I don't even know how to fix it. I followed everything on icy-veins rotation and still doing terrible damage. Here my armory http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...y%C3%A0/simple

Quote Originally Posted by Cerbz View Post
    You're not just going to pick up 30k+ DPS from "practicing". I'd have a hard time believing you're not doing at least something fundamentally wrong if you're missing that much DPS.

Druid / Demon Hunter SimulationCraft Maintainer

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ruggleee View Post
    hey guys, first of all its only a new alt but i feel my dps is low a bit(493 IL and doing 65k on a dummy, without buff of course) ik keeping my dots up and mind blast everytime is up but i would understand may be one or 2 things

-when i consume my 3 orbs, it is better that after my 2 mind flay insanity i i try to get one more mind flay insanity or cast mind blast instead?
    - it seem also during i consume my 3 orbs, im not sure if i should do the 3th mind flay insanity and lose my dot for 1-2-3-4 sec

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...riestqc/simple

i have no logs because i dont raid with him yet

p.s im really good on my main, 5/13 HM, was simply trying to see if i was doing something wrong
    If you do get a DI MB proc during MF:I, you should take those 2 GCD's and cast it. It's worth it on long fights.
    Another tip I could give you is watch your DP timer and start casting it again when it's less than 0.5 seconds to fall off, or as close to zero as you can. That should give you a big DPS boost. But also try to coordinate it with the hits on your current MF:I cast (I use Gnossis for that).

Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    I can barely push 30-40k dps on my 500 Ilvl spriest half the time. Something wrong with this class and I don't even know how to fix it. I followed everything on icy-veins rotation and still doing terrible damage. Here my armory http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...y%C3%A0/simple
    Admitedly, 40k is low for 498, but other than almost zero DPS while moving and no real burst cooldown abilities, there aren't any problems.
    That being said, a good chunk of your DPS will be improved from replacing that GID trinket and main-hand. Possibly getting lucky with some 502 staff and LFR BoH or UVLS?
    I'd take DI over PI at your ilvl, even on single target bosses (yeah, some people will argue over that, but you try PI with Focused Lightning on you..)
    Also, you should be using int/spirit (Energized Wild Jade) instead of int/hit gems. Other than glyphing those 2 empty main slots to help out your raid and yourself in the process, I can't help you without logs.
    Last edited by Vargur; 2013-06-15 at 06:30 PM.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Using IV, is your first problem... Specially doing less dps then we did an expansion ago. I think I could put up dots and afk to do more.

Stream: twitch.tv/DryeLuLZ
    Twitter: @Dryeqt

Quote Originally Posted by Drye View Post
    Using IV, is your first problem... Specially doing less dps then we did an expansion ago. I think I could put up dots and afk to do more.
    IV? Not sure what that even stands for.

10+ Year Old Account
    IV? Not sure what that even stands for.
    IV is an abbreviation for www.icy-veins.com

As for guides there are better guides to consult both here on mmo-champion and on howtopriest.com, with lots of helpful people if you need assistance. We can't do much else other then check gear without logs though.

Nah, I completely disagree. I've been "Practicing" for the entire expansion. The class is underpowered (Shadow) for DPS and overpowered (Discipline) for healing. Since my raid leaders want me to DPS, I guess I'm stuck.

Deleted
    Nah, I completely disagree. I've been "Practicing" for the entire expansion. The class is underpowered (Shadow) for DPS and overpowered (Discipline) for healing. Since my raid leaders want me to DPS, I guess I'm stuck.
    Im afraid you must be doing something seriously wrong, if you can only manage 92k with ilvl 516. I have ilvl 517 and on jinrokh i do 180k, horridon i do 230k and on council i do 160k, to be honest i raid 25man but the difference between the two, shouldnt result in 100k difference.
    Last edited by mmoc64e7c05168; 2013-06-15 at 08:37 PM.

Deleted
    Get a Proc tracker, I see you have unerring trinket, when it procs reapply your dots SW;P/VE
    Another thing is to always prioritise shadow orb-point gain, DI procs/SW and ofc MB like mad on cd, dont care if you have DP on target just interrupt your Mindflay and mind blast the target.Other than that what can I say, I guess the 502 version of that trinket aint got that much of a procchance, so its not worth going Haste overcap>mastery>crit.
    What else??if you plan to go haste>mastery>crit, swap DI for PI other than that PI will be only usefull on some encounters in raids.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cant know without either a armory link or a log parse, but you should really be in the 115k-125k+ dps area at that ilvl, i suspect there is some flaws in your play but as a general tip, try to always hit mind blast on cooldown, keep good uptime on dots and refresh them with procs and clip mind flay properly.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would highly suggest reading the other threads in this priest forum regarding rotation and the two links below

howtopriest
    warcraft.twintop-tahoe

There's some really great info on all 3 of these sites, good luck!

Shadow is actually in a decent spot, compared to last tier. It has its obvious weaknesses, movement and single target but its not that bad.

Stream: twitch.tv/DryeLuLZ
    Twitter: @Dryeqt

Quote Originally Posted by Naeny View Post
    Cant know without either a armory link or a log parse, but you should really be in the 115k-125k+ dps area at that ilvl, i suspect there is some flaws in your play but as a general tip, try to always hit mind blast on cooldown, keep good uptime on dots and refresh them with procs and clip mind flay properly.
    Very helpful post and yes, I'm doing all those. MMOChampion won't allow me to post my Armory because I'm newbie to the board. But, you can Armory search Miräcle on Kilrogg US.

Any help is of course greatly appreciated.

---------- Post added 2013-06-15 at 06:40 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bombino View Post
    I would highly suggest reading the other threads in this priest forum regarding rotation and the two links below

howtopriest
    warcraft.twintop-tahoe

There's some really great info on all 3 of these sites, good luck!
    I haven't checked those site yet. I've read Noxxic and Icy-veins so far. Thank you!

---------- Post added 2013-06-15 at 06:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lycans View Post
    Im afraid you must be doing something seriously wrong, if you can only manage 92k with ilvl 516. I have ilvl 517 and on jinrokh i do 180k, horridon i do 230k and on council i do 160k, to be honest i raid 25man but the difference between the two, shouldnt result in 100k difference.
    I hope that I'm not doing anything seriously wrong, but I won't discount the possibility. On Jin'Rokh you would do that DPS because of the buff you get by being in the puddle. But, the Horridon DPS is amazing. Do you DoT every add with both VT and Pain? Same question for the Council. Do you continuously refresh both DoTs on all four mobs (plus the Loa's from the Priestess) as well as single target?

Deleted
    I hope that I'm not doing anything seriously wrong, but I won't discount the possibility. On Jin'Rokh you would do that DPS because of the buff you get by being in the puddle. But, the Horridon DPS is amazing. Do you DoT every add with both VT and Pain? Same question for the Council. Do you continuously refresh both DoTs on all four mobs (plus the Loa's from the Priestess) as well as single target?
    For horridon i usually go in with DI, and Insanity (although tof is just as good). I usually keep dots on boss and VT, SW:P main target and throw off random SW:P on other adds until i get DP x3 orbs with the help of DI then mind flay insanity main target SW once when available, and continue with this. Also i dps boss in between gates before adds spawn.

For council i again prefer DI over tof, maybe i could get abit more dps out of tof but prefer DI for this one. I start off with putting everything on sul (blowing all cd's,dots,potions ect) after the initial burst i roll sw on all other bosses for my DI procs. After when priority is empowered one's i throw VT+ SW:P on empowered and again roll SW:P on all others for orbs, and as for Loa's I usually roll a sw on them followed by a sw before they die .

I also see that you have not reached haste cap of 8085, I would suggest that you swap your feet enchants for +175 haste, and also change your reforge on you bracers, and reforge crit into haste. This way you will reach the cap.
    Last edited by mmoc64e7c05168; 2013-06-16 at 12:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycans View Post
    For horridon i usually go in with DI, and Insanity (although tof is just as good). I usually keep dots on boss and VT, SW:P main target and throw off random SW:P on other adds until i get DP x3 orbs with the help of DI then mind flay insanity main target SW once when available, and continue with this. Also i dps boss in between gates before adds spawn.
    ToF > DI on Horridon. You can easily achieve 65%+ uptime on it.

I upgraded based on this forum thread.

Got my Haste to the first cap (8088 to be exact). And, I now see the benefit in switching talents and glyphs with frequency based on the individual fight.

I increased by about 12k DPS. Got a "Proc tracker" (Thanks BTW).

Thanks for all the helpful comments!