Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kortin View Post
    Mastery is fine. It only adds to the game. Talent/spec changes and streamlining of buffs takes away from the game.
    I hate Mastery, simply because it's so horribly made. It could've been really cool if it wasn't just "You gain X% more damage on all your attacks" like it is for pretty much all classes. MM Hunters and Arms Warriors, for an example, have a really cool Mastery.

I usually rate it through: Do your class need to stack Mastery before anything else? Then something is wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zirusianna View Post
    I hate Mastery, simply because it's so horribly made. It could've been really cool if it wasn't just "You gain X% more damage on all your attacks" like it is for pretty much all classes. MM Hunters and Arms Warriors, for an example, have a really cool Mastery.

I usually rate it through: Do your class need to stack Mastery before anything else? Then something is wrong.
    Well yes, I do agree that the implementation is subpar, but that doesn't change that mastery only adds to the game. I actually had a discussion with Alaitoc the other day about how much they could improve mastery.

One example I came up with: unholy death knights should have a mastery that gives them a % chance upon hit with an ability that deals shadow damage to summon a mini ghoul for 30 seconds and there can be 5 mini ghouls (maybe more) up at any time.
    Last edited by kortin; 2013-09-22 at 05:38 AM.
    "Come, face me! Give in to your Pride! Show me your Greatness!"

mfw every day | Nujabes - Horizon

Deleted
    Well yes, I do agree that the implementation is subpar, but that doesn't change that mastery only adds to the game. I actually had a discussion with Alaitoc the other day about how much they could improve mastery.

One example I came up with: unholy death knights should have a mastery that gives them a % chance upon hit to summon a mini ghoul for 30 seconds and there can be 5 mini ghouls (maybe more) up at any time.
    If it was up to me, Mastery should be extremely rare and very hard-hitting, but extremely RNG. An extra talent, in some way, that you could customize through your gear if you wish.

I would probably only have Mastery on set bonuses and trinkets, and then make it noticeable when the RNG smiles at you. I don't really like RNG in games like WoW, since it destroys PvP quite a bit. RNG is, in my opinion, the perfect opposite of skill, unless you balance that RNG through something that requires skill to execute, like a special combo or a line of gear/stats/playstyle that will make the mastery unique to the class itself, and not just act as a damage increase to most of your skills

And I was going to bed. Damn you Kortin.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it was up to me, Mastery should be extremely rare and very hard-hitting, but extremely RNG. An extra talent, in some way, that you could customize through your gear if you wish.

I would probably only have Mastery on set bonuses and trinkets, and then make it noticeable when the RNG smiles at you. I don't really like RNG in games like WoW, since it destroys PvP quite a bit. RNG is, in my opinion, the perfect opposite of skill, unless you balance that RNG through something that requires skill to execute, like a special combo or a line of gear/stats/playstyle that will make the mastery unique to the class itself, and not just act as a damage increase to most of your skills

Mastery, as a system, I feel is fine. It just really needs to be beefed up. ALL of the "increases [x] damage" masteries should be removed and replaced with masteries unique to the class. A few mastries I just came up with:

Assassination Rogue - Evolving Poisons: When your mainhand poison deals periodic damage, it has a [x]% chance to morph into a more powerful version of the poison, becoming incurable and dealing 25% additional damage over time.

Survival Hunter - Trapping Shots: Your explosive shot has a [x]% chance to apply the effects of the last trap you used underneath the target. This effect does not put the traps on cooldown and have its own separate cooldown for each trap.

Enhancement Shaman - Elemental Empowering: Every time you deal elemental damage you have a 10% chance to imbue yourself with a random element. Once you've imbued yourself with all four elements, you gain [x]% attack speed and damage.

I feel like the last one is the most unique application of "increases damage" mastery while still being pretty interesting. Basically, what I want to obtain out of masteries is adding a unique flare to each spec that makes you feel like you're playing something different AND keep in tune with what your spec is.
    Last edited by kortin; 2013-09-22 at 06:00 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

RNG can be fine if it's not true RNG, but RNG that's more like "one out of every seven attacks will be a crit". Usually achieved by having a X chance for attack 1 to crit, then increasing X by an amount until it's 100% on the seventh attack. Statistics are involved somehow, but there's a way to calculate X and the base amount so it averages out to an equivalent RNG crit chance.

That said, my problem with mastery is the same problem I have with Maelstrom Weapon. Yes, it works, but it's basically passive. You stack some then it behaves like any other stat. If it were more interactive, I'd like it. MW is basically like a proc that you can see coming. A little less so in PvP, but in PvE it's basically just "Oh this procced, now hit this button."

I actually liked the old Divine Favor for Pallies. It used to be a 40% chance for HP-generating abilities to generate an extra HP; it's now a 15% chance on the same abilities to give you a buff that causes the next HP-consuming ability to behave like it used 3 HP, but consume none. The latter is "This procced, now press this then pretend it never happened." The former really juiced up your rotation and made it really interesting to actually play a Pally; you had to constantly be paying attention, not brainlessly playing whack-a-mole with procs.

[Incoming longer post, not an edit, stand by]

10+ Year Old Account
    Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! The first Boondock Saints movie is on Netflix now!

Sig: Elyssia | DJoron is the Best

My garage has been cleared out, moved some couches in there, got a CD player with my music blasting on.

This is the best thing in the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyera View Post
    I doubt you'll be able to find a Sprite replacement.
    That's like taking the fountain of youth and replacing it with tonic water
    marriage is when you bet someone half your stuff they won't leave

Quote Originally Posted by Freyera View Post
    Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! The first Boondock Saints movie is on Netflix now!
    Connor and Murph!

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    Connor and Murph!
    Ahhhhhhhhh I love this movie.

Gotta skip the cat part though
    Quote Originally Posted by Hetalia View Post
    My garage has been cleared out, moved some couches in there, got a CD player with my music blasting on.

This is the best thing in the world.
    Good job Hetalia!

Sig: Elyssia | DJoron is the Best

10+ Year Old Account
    You two better not have gone to bed or I'ma be pissed. Anyways, here we go!

For example, for more interactive masteries. Take Enhancement Shaman. The one thing Blizzard has never capitalized on IMO is the Shaman's potential for elemental synergy. It's completely ignored. There's so much potential. Frozen an enemy? Hitting them hard should cause extra damage. Are they on fire? Flash-freezing them now would hurt, don't you think? Did you just break them into pieces? Why not set them on fire for a bit of extra pain?

On top of that, there's also my beef with the current Enhancement mastery. Enhancement is all about smacking people in the face with elementally-charged weapons. Okay, cool. So why does their mastery have nothing to do with actually hitting people with weapons? I would argue that's why most Enhancement Shaman chose to play Enhancement in the first place.

In my head, a few changes would make it way better, more interesting, and more controllable. Would obviously have to be tweaked for Elemental, but I think you can play around with spec-specific passives to make it work relatively easily. For the sake of coherence I won't do that. X/Y/Z/A/B/C are different between tooltips.

Shaman weapon enchants (Rockbiter, Flametongue, Frostbrand, Windfury) have been removed.

Wind Shear has been renamed to Spirit Strike (or something similar; basically don't associate it with wind).

Shocks: Redesigned and no longer on the global cooldown. Still on a shared cooldown.
    • Earth Shock: Impacts the target with X Nature damage and charges you with the Spirit of [the] Earth, causing all weapon strikes to inflict an additional Y% as Nature damage.
    • Frost Shock: Strikes the target with X Frost damage, slowing them by Y% and charging you with the Spirit of Ice, causing all weapon strikes to inflict an additional Y Frost damage and slow the victim by Z% (Z being much smaller than Y; alternatively, Y being roughly equal to Z but with Z stacking and Y not).
    • Flame Shock: Ignites the target, causing X Fire damage immediately and Y damage over Z seconds. Also charges you with the Spirit of Fire, causing all weapon strikes to inflict Searing Flames. Searing Flames causes A Fire damage over B seconds and stacks up to C times.
    • Wind Shock: Blasts the target, causing X Nature damage and charging you with the Spirit of Wind, causing one in every Yth weapon strike to proc an additional Z attacks that deal pure Nature damage equal to A% weapon damage (A > 100).

Spirits last until canceled. Only one Spirit may be active at any given time.

Unleash Elements: Focuses the active Spirit into its Soul. An element's Soul grants an additional effects in addition to the same bonuses as its Spirit. Only one Soul may be active at any given time. Souls last until cancelled.
    • Soul of [the] Earth: X% of all damage you take is healed over Y seconds.
    • Soul of Fire: X% of all direct damage you take is returned to the attacker as Fire damage.
    • Soul of Ice: Decreases all damage taken by X%.
    • Soul of Wind: When you take damage, your movement speed is increased by X% for Y seconds and A% of the damage is redistributed over B seconds.

Mastery, Elemental Harmony: Your Shocks now cause a vulnerability to the other elemental damage types inflicted by the Shaman, increasing damage taken by those elements by X%. Only one set of vulnerabilities per target can be active at any given time. Unleash Elements inflicts the corresponding set of vulnerabilities to all targets within Y yards.

Obviously Stormstrike and Lava Lash would have to be tweaked, but this is basically the core of what I'd love to see the Shaman class evolve into. A greater focus on both weapons and the elements they're charged with, as well as harmonistic synergy between elements encouraging use of a wider range of elements.
    Last edited by Bluesparkks; 2013-09-22 at 06:53 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluesparks View Post
    *snip*
    Much better than what I had come up with. You do have the same ideas behind the masteries as I do. They need to embody the spec and be something much more than "increases damage".

10+ Year Old Account
    Much better than what I had come up with. You do have the same ideas behind the masteries as I do. They need to embody the spec and be something much more than "increases damage".
    Ideally the same amount of thought and depth would go into every spec of every class. I'm personally sick of whack-a-mole procs and would love to see way more complexity and depth.

EDIT: I'm also trying to figure out how you could play around with those modded Earth Shock/Wind Shocks so that they're roughly equal in DPS but don't degenerate into PvP/PvE shocks. Hard, given that they both augment auto damage with Nature damage. But yeah, that's kinda just a rough hash of my dream Shaman.

EDIT2: Also trying to figure out how you could allow Shaman to activate a desired Spirit and Soul when they have nothing to attack. Self-castable out of combat, maybe.
    Last edited by Bluesparkks; 2013-09-22 at 07:02 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluesparks View Post
    Ideally the same amount of thought and depth would go into every spec of every class. I'm personally sick of whack-a-mole procs and would love to see way more complexity and depth.
    Yeah, it seems like an incredibly cheap cop-out to just slap a damage increase on a mastery.

Anyways, I can't think straight and that's pretty much all I can coherently say. I'm gonna head to bed.

Also I saw and read your edit. Really nice stuff you're coming up with. Wish I had thought of it instead of my own lame one. :P
    Last edited by kortin; 2013-09-22 at 07:05 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also I saw and read your edit. Really nice stuff you're coming up with. Wish I had thought of it instead of my own lame one. :P
    Stupid brain only thinks about things it wants to think about. In a small bit of a bind writing-wise right now.

I'm gonna head to bed.
    'Night.

10+ Year Old Account

FOR THE HORDE! ... and stuff.

Deleted
    morning all =3

- - - Updated - - -

made this for my mom yesterday =3

10+ Year Old Account
    Morning fillies! How is this bit cold morning?
    Sig by Thor

Deleted
    thread is extremely slow today

10+ Year Old Account
    Sig by Thor

Deleted

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

well im going to play some sims, i need to finish my castle ^^