10+ Year Old Account

The Wiitcher Series

Is it vital to play the first game to enjoy #2? I just can't get past the combat in the first game. and I just bough the second on Steam today. Just curious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

Not at all, played the first game only 1/4 the way through due to how stupidly buggy it was when it came out. Completely loved the Witcher 2 and don't feel like I missed anything

10+ Year Old Account
    hmm, the story is definitely vital to the enjoyment of the game. but i guess you could read it up somewhere.

i wouldn't play the 2nd without knowing at least the main story of the 1st.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would liek to read the books. But I may read a Cliff's Notes on it before playing 2. I hate knowing a game has a great story then a great sequel. Makes me want to play the first even if pats of it suck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by veldrinal View Post
    Not at all, played the first game only 1/4 the way through due to how stupidly buggy it was when it came out. Completely loved the Witcher 2 and don't feel like I missed anything
    well i guess the first 1/4 or so in you've already been introduced to most of the important characters, the world and it's conflicts (what are witchers, what are scoia'tael, etc), Geralts amnesia, the lifting of the curse from the princess and stuff like that.
    also, from what little we know so far, it seems quite a bit of the stuff that was in the 1st, but not part of the story in the 2nd, may again be important in the 3rd.

but then again, different people enjoy different aspects of gaming. i personally wouldn't want to miss out on anything the story and characters of the witcher series have to offer, as i see them as the main enjoyment of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Botter View Post
    I would liek to read the books. But I may read a Cliff's Notes on it before playing 2. I hate knowing a game has a great story then a great sequel. Makes me want to play the first even if pats of it suck.
    i've read some of the books and they are pretty damn good, but you won't miss out on too much if you don't know them. there are occasional references (and Geralt's past relationship with Yennefer seems to get increasingly important) but for the most part the game introduces new people rather well to the world and characters, mostly through the little trick of Geralt having amnesia and needing to learn about his past life himself.

and yeah, having to play through a game with poor gameplay just so you can enjoy the story of a sequel sucks. i think many people are missing out on the mass effect trilogy story because of that, too :/
    Last edited by Sy; 2013-06-15 at 04:42 AM.

Deleted
    You could watch a playthrough of the first game. (If there is one), altough there's a few personal choices like in the Mass Effect games that affect the outcome.