Page 1 of 3
LastLast

What's the class/spec with least buttons for pve?

Hi,

I'm thinking of coming back to wow, and I probably have a rather strange request.
    I'd like to know which class+spec has least buttons to push in pve.
    I'm open to both dps and healing roles, but not tanking, and I never got into cat druid, and I don't think I want to play rogue.
    At one point or another I played most specs and all classes and you could call me main-aholic, as I had main warrior, paladin, rogue, druid in various expansions, and I liked all of classes, so "pick which one you'd enjoy" wouldn't be helpful, plus I really don't know how the game plays in MoP.
    In cata (last I played), I was getting overwhelmed by button pushing, I would like to cap it at 12 abilitiies (6 buttons * holding alt down) - including oh-crap buttons, but preferably no more than 10 (abilities).

I would prefer a class that can both heal and dps, but if there's significant difference, I'd play pure dps.

I was briefly looking over trees just now, and was thinking about shaman, not based on button pushing, but just i remember I enjoyed being able to melee, range dps and also heal. But looking at healing, it looked like awful a lot skills to use.

Edit:
    Thank you for everyone's input, I'm still deciding so more input is great.
    I'm not looking for an easy class, it's just that when I get too many buttons, I turn into a clicker for cooldowns, I can only reach so many buttons on keyboard.
    I'd like to feel I'm doing the best I can, but don't expect to be top of dps meter or anything - if I play thumb of war I will lose to everyone here. My finger coordination isn't the best, so I'm specifically looking for something that would be comfortable for me to play. I can manage looking at cooldowns, etc, but physical pressing of things is significant to me.
    Last edited by someotherguy; 2013-06-15 at 02:15 PM.

Deleted
    Assassination rogue is pretty simple, you have the following in the basic single target rotation:

Mutilate (CP builder)
    Dispatch (On proc or under 30% health)(CP builder)
    Envenom (Finisher)
    Rupture (Finisher)
    Slice and Dice (1 time apply, refreshed from Envenom) (Finisher)

Thats about it! Then there is cooldowns and defensive abilitys, so thats another like 5 buttons, depending on whatever you need to use. So the rotation itself is 5 buttons, with defensive abilitys and situational abilitys like Expose Armor, you have like 8-12 buttons.

Deleted
    Ele shaman
    Assassination rogue
    Shadow priest

Deleted
    Assa rogues are pretty straightforward.
    Frost/Fire Mages are too.

But don't expect to blow dps meters in 2 days. Easy to play, hard to master ))

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by someotherguy View Post
    Hi,

I'm thinking of coming back to wow, and I probably have a rather strange request.
    I'd like to know which class+spec has least buttons to push in pve.
    I'm open to both dps and healing roles, but not tanking, and I never got into cat druid, and I don't think I want to play rogue.
    At one point or another I played most specs and all classes and you could call me main-aholic, as I had main warrior, paladin, rogue, druid in various expansions, and I liked all of classes, so "pick which one you'd enjoy" wouldn't be helpful, plus I really don't know how the game plays in MoP.
    In cata (last I played), I was getting overwhelmed by button pushing, I would like to cap it at 12 abilitiies (6 buttons * holding alt down) - including oh-crap buttons, but preferably no more than 10 (abilities).

I would prefer a class that can both heal and dps, but if there's significant difference, I'd play pure dps.

I was briefly looking over trees just now, and was thinking about shaman, not based on button pushing, but just i remember I enjoyed being able to melee, range dps and also heal. But looking at healing, it looked like awful a lot skills to use.
    Shamans have like 6 cooldowns, so only that would take up half your keybinds if you wanna limit it to 12. :> Well at least enhance does.

10+ Year Old Account
    Everyone above is silly, Monk has the least buttons...by far
    Shall I be dramatic and say "You haven't heard the last of me,"?

LIFE

(L)ive, (I)nfluence, (F)ight, (E)njoy

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eihwaz View Post

Both frost and fire have just about the same amount of buttons as any other spec.

I wouldn't say they're "easy to play" based on the number of buttons. It is irrelevant ultimately. What matters for a class's difficulty are things like managing movement, resources, cooldowns etc. Mage specs are certainly not the easiest in this respect. A lot of classes have useless abilities they never, rarely or only situationally use, which makes them seem "harder", when they're not. Warlocks are a prime example of this, as are rogues; this isn't to say Warlocks are a cakewalk, far from it. It's just to point out how misleading the number of buttons are. Mages have a very minimal number of spells like this; nearly all their spells can be incorporated rotationally or in PVP. So if they "seem" to have "very few" spells, as one poster said, it is probably because they are efficiently designed.

I think you meant their learning curve is less steep than classes with more buttons, but TBH even that is debatable.
    Last edited by Zathrendar; 2013-06-15 at 02:10 PM.

Frost DK.

It's easy to do good damage but if you want to crazy/great damage, you need to know how to line up Pillar of Frost and your other Attack Power/Strength buffs, along with managing your runes effectively, and knowing when to sacrifice a Killing Machine on Frost Strike instead of waiting on Obliterate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

10+ Year Old Account
    You guys are silly!
    Monk
    Jab, Blackout kick, keep Rising Sun kick up, keep tiger palm up, Use Tigers Eye brew at 5+ (can stack up to 20 for burst phase depending on raid), Chi Wave

That's 6 abilities, you need to worry about, 1 has a CD, and TEB has a build up time, tiger palm stays up for 15 seconds
    Shall I be dramatic and say "You haven't heard the last of me,"?

LIFE

(L)ive, (I)nfluence, (F)ight, (E)njoy

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaladhrun View Post
    Both frost and fire have just about the same amount of buttons as any other spec.

I wouldn't say they're "easy to play" based on the number of buttons. It is irrelevant ultimately. What matters for a class's difficulty are things like managing movement, resources, cooldowns etc. Mage specs are certainly not the easiest in this respect. A lot of classes have useless abilities they never, rarely or only situationally use, which makes them seem "harder", when they're not. Warlocks are a prime example of this, as are rogues; this isn't to say Warlocks are a cakewalk, far from it. It's just to point out how misleading the number of buttons are. Mages have a very minimal number of spells like this; nearly all their spells can be incorporated rotationally or in PVP. So if they "seem" to have "very few" spells, as one poster said, it is probably because they are efficiently designed.

I think you meant their learning curve is less steep than classes with more buttons, but TBH even that is debatable.
    Well, I've been playing mage for years now so I might be biased, but at least for this xpac, I find Fire/Frost pretty easy to play and you can get good results pretty fast. Sure, there's a lot of room for improvements and mastering a mage spec isnt easy, but I think it can be a very good class to start out with.
    Assa rogues too.

There's some class / spec where's you need to bash buttons every 1 second and they word a lot on priority and not a true "cycle", and while it's not that hard a few days later, it can be confusing at first and seem too hard for some people.

That's just how I feel

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ele shammy
    arcane mage
    guardian druid
    You cared enough to post.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by icausewipes View Post
    Ele shammy
    arcane mage
    guardian druid
    lol. Arcane mage might have few buttons but the mana/movement management is so horrible it could be one the the worst spec for a begginer right now.
    Not mentionning you have to be geared like hell and most of the encounters aren't arcane friendly AT all.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eihwaz View Post

Word! However, a class with a more simple rotation would be easier to master than one with a complex rotation with alot of abilitys.

For Ass rogue, the rotation is realy important. Drop SnD or forgetting rupture for a couple of seconds will F up your dps alot, so raiding as a rogue is a constant timer watching game!

When your rotation is perfect and your gear is equal to rest of the raid, you will be topping dps meaters easy though

All of the classes are pretty straightforward. I bet that no class needs more than 5 buttons to be efficient.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by plantation View Post
    All of the classes are pretty straightforward. I bet that no class needs more than 5 buttons to be efficient.
    Depends on the level of efficiency. If you really play a class with 5 button you're gonna be on the low end of the efficiency scale .

Destruction warlock and all hunter specs spend most of their time mashing less than ~5 buttons. Of course serious dps won't happen for any class or spec mashing only a few buttons.

Quote Originally Posted by Duito View Post
    Everyone above is silly, Monk has the least buttons...by far
    Lol I'm a WW monk and I play a buch of different specs and classes. They are not simple to learn but I picked it up really well. I always pull #1 on the dps charts and I'm a fantastic tank. There are simpler classes than a monk. We use a nice amount of spells and CD's as both WW and BM but I cannot say anything for MW. But if you want a versatile class then you should go shadow priest/ disc priest and if you want a simple dps class go arcane Mage.

Spend 3 weeks playing what you like and if you're a good player you will be at around 90% on the HAM-O-Meter.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinz View Post
    Lol I'm a WW monk and I play a buch of different specs and classes. They are not simple to learn but I picked it up really well. I always pull #1 on the dps charts and I'm a fantastic tank. There are simpler classes than a monk. We use a nice amount of spells and CD's as both WW and BM but I cannot say anything for MW. But if you want a versatile class then you should go shadow priest/ disc priest and if you want a simple dps class go arcane Mage.
    did you say your first dps with your monk? wow your other dps must fail a bit.....