Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I'm looking forward to it, but I'm also affraid my expectations are a to high :/

Run, rabbit run.
    Dig that hole, forget the sun,
    And when at last the work is done
    Don't sit down it's time to dig another one.

I wonder how they haven't done this already, like a couple years ago.. New character models would be key to getting new fresh wave of players

I can't wait to see the new tauren, the currect one is beyond ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post
    Do you really think that with updated characters, the gear wont update as well? Silly arthas. I for one am tired of seeing that shitty zig zag grappy bone sticking out of the back of my undead

---------- Post added 2013-06-17 at 05:56 PM ----------

Few things. One from a marketing and sales standpoint, the first thing a new player sees when buying a game is their new character. It turns a lot of people off.

Secondly.. so would you prefer everything to be checkered cubes

thirdly... You had better never ever ever use any mount besides the original wyvern or the original gryphon otherwise you are a hypocrite. It's like having the choice between the old one or the one from Domination point.

Lastly, you are a raider, and how often do people complain that raids look boring? Hmm? By your standard of playing this game, Every raid should look like TOC and.. you know what, cut out any of the talking, or people, or falling underground, just use the arena in stranglethorn vale
    I wasn't going to reply, but I'll bite.

The 'marketing and sales' perspective is overrated. The vast majority of advertising has its effect before people actually log into the game, and Blizzard does not advertise by parading new models, they advertise a seemingly endless experience through seemingly endless content. I will not deny that new models are a factor in player retention, but it only requires us to look back at the numerous MMOs that were, graphically, in another league than WoW and died off quickly because there was no endgame, there were too many bugs, etc etc. If said new player logs in and finds out that he doesn't want to kill 12 Boards and follow it up with 10 Scorpions, then your new models are not going to keep him in the game.

Second, I never said that. Keep your fallacies for yourself.

Third, we were not talking about mounts. Refer to point 2. But I'll bite once more: Mounts are distinctly different from character models, as your mount is highly visible when mounted. Mounts are accessories, much like cars. We like beautiful accessories and we like showing them off. While you are looking at character models throughout most of the game, you're also covering them in armor from, at the very least, the neck down. We also generally play the game, I'm not talking about idling in a city or finding a secluded grove where you can make out with the Blood Elf from 2 blocks away, with our camera zoomed out and our vision on other aspects than our characters, and their models.

Fourth, we were not talking about the look of an environment, like a raiding environment. Refer to 3 and 2. You cannot compare character models to how the world actually look. We are our characters, but we live inside the world. The looks of an environment has a far bigger impact on players because they are instinctively externally oriented from their daily experiences.

Like I, and others, have said: I'll never say no to new models. There is absolutely no downside to having them at all. They are extra flavor and they will change my daily WoW experience up a bit. A bit. In the end, we'll get used to the new models and go back to focusing on the gameplay at hand. If the latter stinks, the former is irrelevant. If the former stinks, the latter can still keep you hooked, as evidenced by the state this game has been in for the past 3-4 years where it has not been able to compete with competitors on graphics.

The only ridiculous argument in all of this is the "I quit a year ago because I hated the game, but if there's going to be new models I'm so coming back! It's the only thing that would make me re-sub, and I'm sure there are millions like me!". If you would only re-sub because they added new models, then I guarantee you'll be gone again in a few weeks/months. You'll adapt to the novelty of the new models and realize it's still the same game that made you quit in the first place.

I think animations deserve an update too. Especially casting animations are sooo boring. Take human male mage for example :P Female ain't any better.

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    I too yearn for new models, so I can cover them in armor and zoom all the way out.

Seriously, I don't see why folks give such importance to this. Now.. new animations? That's something I can get happy about.
    Exactly... and even animations are not that important to me...

I don't really care about how my character looks. Most of the time i'm zoomed out to the max anyway.

I hope they don't mess it up, they really can't afford to.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocoabutterz View Post
    Gameplay>Graphics.
    How will WoW continue to compete with the likes of Rift with 2004 graphics and ever increasingly dumbed down gameplay?
    Eventually you'll just have to market it for babies and be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by lordxoi View Post
    How will WoW continue to compete with the likes of Rift with 2004 graphics and ever increasingly dumbed down gameplay?
    Eventually you'll just have to market it for babies and be done with it.
    Slippery slope ftw?

Okay, let me state some points before I get to my personal opinion.

A lot of people said that new character models can't be considered the most important thing in the game. Doing so only expresses one's opinion, nothing more. And I have to agree with that. You obviously can't objectively tell which feature would be the most beneficial addition to the game. However, at the same time, you can't go around claiming that adding new models isn't the most beneficial thing to add. Because there's no objective measurement to support that claim, either.

As for the whole "gameplay > graphics" argument, I do think that it is a bit silly. At this point, Blizzard isn't overhauling the actual gameplay much. Adding raids that (basically) play the same as previous ones might be new content, but it surely isn't changing how the game plays to a substantial degree. Also, purely visual features have had a decent impact, I feel. People are farming their butt of to acquire vanity items such as mounts or transmogrification gear. This leads me to the only somewhat objective way to measure whether new character models are important or not: The amount of players that use strictly cosmetic features.

That amount seems quite high. Whenever I'm in Orgrimmar or any other capital city, I see people with transmogged gear. In fact, I'd say that the majority of players uses that feature. As well as different mounts. Neither affects the gameplay directly, but these features are still widely used. Thus, I'd conclude that a large portion of the player base does care about strictly cosmetic features, such as new character models.

Now, my personal take on the matter. I can hardly believe it's been this long without an update for the old character models. Whenever I compare my male Forsaken to, say, a Pandaren, I can't help but feel a bit annoyed by how outdated my prefered race actually looks. I might not be looking at its face 90% of the time, but I do so every time I log in, every time I change a piece of gear, every time I transmog something and so on. I might not actually see the difference all the time (ignoring the inferior animations, that is), but I am reminded of the fact more than often enough.

So, yeah, on a personal level, I can't wait to get new, MoP-quality models for the vanilla races (and the BC ones, too). You could easily make a business case that shows that new character models would be a worthwhile investment of resources just as well, so I actually wonder why Blizzard didn't implement them earlier. Transmogrification must have shown them how much players like strictly cosmetic features, I assume, but they're at least working on it now. That's something, isn't it?

Let's jsut hope the new models turn out well enough. There'll be a lot of QQ'ing (there always is, no matter what) anyway, but Blizzard should try to make the new models the best they can be. Looking at some of the new(ish) NPC models, I'm not too concerned, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxkis View Post
    As for the whole "gameplay > graphics" argument, I do think that it is a bit silly. At this point, Blizzard isn't overhauling the actual gameplay much. Adding raids that (basically) play the same as previous ones might be new content, but it surely isn't changing how the game plays to a substantial degree. Also, purely visual features have had a decent impact, I feel. People are farming their butt of to acquire vanity items such as mounts or transmogrification gear. This leads me to the only somewhat objective way to measure whether new character models are important or not: The amount of players that use strictly cosmetic features.
    The argument that you don't see your character anyway under big epic armor sets and while raiding with others, seeing nothing more than the boss, the UI and the mass of spells and abilities is beyond all reason and sanity.

Not everyone is just leaving for another MMO or just taking a break, life changes. You find yourself in situations where family or work don't even allow you to invest so much time in a game, so WoW is trying hard to attract new players.

Let's say want to try this game out. First thing you run into is the character creation screen. "Pandaren, yes, look great, but too furry, same for Worgen. Goblins, heh, awesome! But I want to play a mighty warrior, or an undead mage, something (stereotypical) to start with. WAIT, WHAT'S THAT? Did I just Alt+Tab to Minecraft? Why do Humans, Orcs and Dwarfs look that outdated? Isn't this, like, the most successfull MMORPG? WTF???".

I like to add that I felt the human and undead models were outdated when Classic was released, at least the male ones. So yes, it's been a long time waiting. Can't wait for new teasers.
    Sing like no one ist listening - Love like you've never been hurt
    Dance like no one is watching - Masturbate like no one else is on the bus

Ehhh... I'm more excited for good raids and such. Sure, I'm glad that we're getting new models, it's long overdue, but it's just another matter of Gameplay > Graphics for me.

Best thing to happen to WoW in years? Nah.

To your comment about the Dwarf starting zone... Dark Iron and Wildhammer have joined with Ironforge, and it would seem rather normal to have "recruits" of those two sub-races start off in Dun Morogh.

I honestly can't wait for the release of the new character models. Being an RPer, I do solely focus on the looks of my characters more than anything else, so this is perfect for me.

Makes no difference to me. I'm covered in armor and I'm zoomed so far that my character is a little blob. And IMO that female troll model looks awful.
    Blizzard introduces Transmogrification: YAY! Farm ALL the weapons!
    Hunters no longer use melee weapons: );

Normally I don't like things what Blizzard does to WoW nowadays. But at least these Troll new models look amazing in my opinion.

My little dwarf paladin is going to look so badass. I'm stoked.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    I too yearn for new models, so I can cover them in armor and zoom all the way out.

Seriously, I don't see why folks give such importance to this. Now.. new animations? That's something I can get happy about.
    You do realize zooming out really far isn't everyone's preferred pov. I only do it in raids and sometimes larger pvp maps. The rest I keep the camera fairly close. So I would be able to see the difference.

I can see the nostalgia threads about the old models coming already.