Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    You guys don't get my thread at all. A world without religion. The word does not exist. A world where we coexist without religion. Think about it guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    No, North Koreans are indoctrinated, it's a huge difference. It's the same as people cheering on a music band because their friends like it and they feel pressured by the group to like it (well, plus added punishments).
    Funny, because indoctrination is what many would refer to religion being forced on children being.

Quote Originally Posted by Asetotti View Post
    Confucianism. I might have missed something important from that article so don't get mad at me if I did.
    Thats not religion. its like saying Stalinism is... Its a philosophical system....

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    I guess Love would be the closest thing to religion.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Well the very last part discusses if its actually a religion or not.
    Indeed it is more of a moral teaching than a religion but it is still usually classified as one.
    Again I might be wrong.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Really now. Now, these are just the major conflicts America was involved in, but...

Revolutionary war... not fought over religion (unless you claim natural rights as the main driving factor)
    War of 1812... not fought over religion
    Civil War... not fought over religion
    World War 1... not fought over religion
    World War 2... not fought over religion
    Korean War... not fought over religion
    Vietnam War... not fought over religion
    Recent conflicts in middle east... ultimately, not fought over religion.
    Nice that you pick what suits you while ignoring examples that have been caused by religion or that have been strongly influenced by it.

The Crusades.
    The Inquisition.
    Hell, the whole Middle Ages dragging humanity back 1000 years.
    Slavery in Europe and USA. Black people were considered lesser humans because they didn't believe in the christian god. Ofcourse the reasons for slavery were more economical but religion stood idly by as people were abused. Where was religion then ?!
    The Holocaust. Jews targeted precisely because the brewing hatred towards them ever since the middle ages because of their role in Jesus' death as well as their own religion and refusal to accept christianity. No religions and jews would have been just some random people not standing out with anything.

Maybe not everything was an actual war but religion created an equal amount of victims as the actual wars if not more.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by noralya View Post
    To be honest, the North Koreans ARE religious. It just so happens that their god is the leader of the country, not one in the sky. And someone shouting YOLO necessarily is an atheist and represents atheists worldwide amirite?

To the people that say that religion bred morals, bull, every single moral we have can be sociologically justified without the need for religion in the mix. Basically survival of the fittest cultures: the cultures that adopted these kind of rules were the ones that were the most likely to thrive and survive.
    Ok, if the people who follow Kim are religious because they follow him (not because they want to, but because they're forced) then... what are the people that follow some science people on everything they say just because said scientists once found something right, even if they don't have proof for their claims?

No, it's either North Koreans are not religious... or people who follow scientists on all they say because "they're scientists" are also religious and scientists are their gods.

Also, I never said the YOLO people represent all atheists, I gave you an example of some atheist people that are ignorant and stupid even if they live in developed countries and have a higher education and are atheists. I gave said example because you said that when someone gets a college, they'd shun religion... well clearly these people have not, so your argument falls.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by markos82 View Post
    World War 1... not fought over religion
    World War 2... not fought over religion - Kinda was, Hitler was more of a religios person to Germans in that period then well....

Philosophy isnt a firm belief like religion. Since isnt only how, its why, how, and third is what ( was in what will happen if i do this ), so you are wrong... Religion is because we tell you so, nothing else...
    Sure, people idolized Hitler, still not a war fought over religion though. Following a leader doesn't suddenly make that person a religious figure.

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    They why don't societies today share the same morals if all societies take this natural progression?

One could say that they believe in survival of the fittest and that those who are murdered and taken advantage of were weak and thus preventing society from become stronger. Morality depends on what direction you feel humanity should take, a direction that is not dictated by anything universe because the universe doesn't care what direction humanity takes. Its all subjective.

I said they shared the same BASIC principles. And even if they don't share all of 'em, don't you see that the trend in majority of societies recently is in the same direction? Even in repressive countries in the Middle-East, Africa, wherever, we see a gradual elimination of the "us versus them" mentality. Be it through efforts for the liberation of women, the separation between churches and states, the non-glamorisation of nationalism, gay rights, fight against racism etc. We're all evolving towards being more inclusive societies, but religion is one of the biggest barrier against that that is still taken somewhat seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Endre View Post
    Remember, world without religion is a world without imagination.
    Not according to John Lennon! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCX3ZNDZAwY

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    OP, as much as you'd like to think otherwise, this is still heavily about religion.

Closing.