Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Normie View Post
    That's pretty easy to define.

A player is "toxic" to the community when his behavior has a negative impact on multiple players' desire to remain in the game.
    So you mean an asshole?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    So you mean an asshole?
    Yeah, basically, assholery must become a non-approved behavior in WoW.

Deleted
    How? Oh I don't know, there is this an option to report people, so the community could help as well. Just saying.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Greed001 View Post
    The difference is that League of Legends has a problem with freshly-pubing, greasy, angst-driven children because that's the sort of audience it targets. In the near-decade of playing World of Warcraft, I haven't seen 1% of the toxic players that one would encounter in League of Legends from 15 minutes of play.
    In 15minutes you could've seen 9 toxic players in LoL.. which means everyone except you was toxic.. and mostly it's 1 vs the team and guess who the toxic one is.

Anyway if you have a toxic player in LoL you can ignore and report them after the match, no big deal.
    In WoW you can vote them out of the dungeon, in LoL you can't but there is a higher chance that he'll get a warning, ban, etc

And I don't really think that Riot's audience are greasy angstdriving children but it's more accessible then WoW.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    How? Oh I don't know, there is this an option to report people, so the community could help as well. Just saying.
    Right now, if someone is abusive/unpleasant/a complete turd to you in a random group (LFD/LFR) there is little that will be done if you report the player.

But that can change.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    Hmm I wouldn't even remotely say this. I haven't ever had new players say anything like that. If you have then where? If it was just 1 person then there is no correlation between this.
    I know multiple people who refuse to tank because other people have been assholes in LFDs / LFRs.

I know multiple people who refuse to heal for the same reason.

I also know a handful of people who don't even do dungeons, at all, for that reason -- and I know some folks who only do things with people they know in real life, absolutely nothing with strangers, because of assholes being assholes.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

try to play LoL on any Divsion 1 League and come back to tell me if they cleaned up toxic players . -.-

10+ Year Old Account
    To answer question about the term toxic player (and in part to show how Riot is dealing with them) is this neat little video http://gdcvault.com/play/1017940/The...Shaping-Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Generaly wow has a pretty low ammout of them. And this is because those toxic kids (yes most of time are kids) cant pay 15 a mounth to play a game.

Free to play games are plagued with those players. And thats because game is FREE. And its just not LOL. Also Wot (nation bashing all the time), Dota 2, Smite, Team foretres 2 and so on.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

It seems like games focused on player vs player attract more toxic behavior. For some reason, competition brings out the worst in people, and often there is a lack of sportsmanship in online play.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Descense View Post
    Generaly wow has a pretty low ammout of them. And this is because those toxic kids (yes most of time are kids) cant pay 15 a mounth to play a game.

Free to play games are plagued with those players. And thats because game is FREE. And its just not LOL. Also Wot (nation bashing all the time), Dota 2, Smite, Team foretres 2 and so on.
    The game being free also means that being banned is of no consequence unless you have bought vanity stuff for your account. So such people can keep acting the way they do, and when they are banned they simply switch to another free account and keep doing what they are doing. This is why I hate the notion of free to play games, it's impossible to punish bad behavior when they don't care about their account.

Deleted
    Been playing from lauch in EU, and for reasons unknown it seems Blizzard is lessening the the in-game support more and more on each expansion. To a current point where it's almost useless to contant GM on any other than loot issues (48h response time). Not too happy with the battle.net web interface change in latest patch either. With no control things get crazy, and less and less people working with support it's obvious Blizzard has no manpower to fix this. Now in-game one fix could be that ignore get's to a point where the person ignored is sent to another virtual server/phase + ignore limit is raised to 1000+.

I personally believe both WoW and SC2 can be cleaned up...both have a lot of player toxicity, ie, taking advantage of game mechanics in your/guild/team favor. Like in SC2 right now when players in 2v2 purposely have a friend leave the match from the beginning. In World of Warcraft, people completely dicking around and cursing each other out and ruining battlegrounds and LFR/LFD system for everyone, making it a bad experience.

---------- Post added 2013-06-16 at 04:02 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    It seems like games focused on player vs player attract more toxic behavior. For some reason, competition brings out the worst in people, and often there is a lack of sportsmanship in online play.
    This, there is an extreme lack of GG everywhere because everyone wants to be better than everyone, or just for the sheer fact that they get a jolly out of pissing someone off.

Quote Originally Posted by Mesec View Post
    try to play LoL on any Divsion 1 League and come back to tell me if they cleaned up toxic players . -.-
    You made a typo, you accidentally added "on any Division 1 League," You should remove that.
    It's like crossing an intersection. There's shit going on all over the place and you don't panic and act like an idiot then do you?

Any game that has even the slightest form of competition and is team based is bound to have so called "toxic" behavior players. If you suck for example you can't expect others to be nice to you when you drag the their team down, this is part of a competitive mindset. If you want to remove toxic behavior completely you basically have to remove any form of competition from the game.

The difference is LoL requires players to make impulse purchases, you won't make them if you are in a bad mood and want to leave the environment.

WoW runs on a subscription service and people have already paid for their month/two months/whatever so even if a player encounters a 'toxic environment' they are typically compelled to continue to play to get "the most out of" their subscription plan.

Guess what won't happen? Blizzard banning people for upsetting the thin skinned. Typically the toxic player cares far too much about the game, moreso than the easily offended and who will sub more? The toxic player. Economics will win. They barely even ban botters, and you expect them to ban bitchy teenagers?

Good luck with that.

Is this kindergarten?

Put them on ignore and move on.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see why you have a problem with "toxic" players in WoW when wow requires little to no communication. You no longer require social skills to play the game thanks to queues for EVERYTHING. Toxic players are a problem EXCLUSIVE to games like League, where player communication can be the difference between winning and losing, and a toxic player can drastically impact the outcome and pure enjoyment factor of the match. There is nothing remotely close to this kind of situation in WoW, there is too many options in WoW to not be impacted by a toxic player.

A lot of people start problems with these so called toxic players then can't handle it when shit goes awry. Besides I don't mind a young nerd attempting to troll me mainly cause I am an intelligent adult that doesn't let words bring me down.

It is simple, report them. the option is there. Blizz keeps tracks of reports on players and when they add up the bans start, progressing until it is permanent. The thing is YOU have to report them, not just come here screaming 'mummy Blizzard mummy Blizzard there is a nasty person make him stop'.

YOU can add them to your ignore list, no matter what server they are on, and you will never group with them again so they will never bother you again.

If someone has 1 bad day and behaves badly once, nothing will be done.

If it is an ongoing problem and multiple people report it, action will be taken, but people have to report it. If they do not, Blizzard will not, usually, ban someone for 1 episode although there are exceptions.

Also, Blizzard has to agree that what they say is toxic. I, on occasion, call whining brats in game 'bed wetters' before I put them on ignore which means I do it once. Blizzard has never found that toxic enough to ban me though I have been, according to the nappy brats, reported, sometimes by a group of friends trying very hard to get me banned. They may object to me calling a 16 year old a bed wetter but Blizzard does not, but I think he probably thinks it so toxic because he is one. Toxic may just be your point of view.